Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh scarification! (not for squeamish)

Options
  • 20-05-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo8_1280.jpg

As you can see, the design progressed a lot from my initial sketches. Even on the day, last-minute changes were being made to suit the piece, prioritising how the piece would heal. When I first spoke to Patric about the piece, I had instantly visualised something along the lines of a mandala. My initial design sought to bring in mild influences while keeping the piece true to my own style, and styles I enjoy. Repeated fiddling drove me back to the shape of a more traditional mandala, although the significance of the piece relates more to the layout of the segments and their contents.

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo3_1280.jpg

Initially, the cutting was quite painful, but once we’d cut enough to begin using the numbing agent, the process got a whole lot easier. You can see the picture below of me smiling while being cut, feeling no pain. I reckon about 40% of the pain was blocked by the numbing, although some parts were still intensely painful. As you may have noticed, a small bit of the piece is unfinished, which I’ll be getting filled in in a couple of weeks.

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo7_1280.jpg

The piece took about five hours, including breaks. The piece has been made with varying reactions from friends and family, but most seem to like it, even stating it swayed their opinion on scarification.

tumblr_mn3m0wzyo01r83t6wo9_1280.jpg

I’ll have images of the fresh piece in better quality soon, and I’m taking regular progress shots, which I’ll upload at a later point.
    The numbing spray was used on me, and it works magnificently. You've got to open the skin for it to work, so you're not entirely without pain, but once it's applied and left to soak in, you feel almost nothing. You'd barely know you were being touched. The tattoo artist who was hanging about during my procedure was walking Patric through the use of it, as he uses it far more regularly. He says he usually only uses the spray when pain gets particularly intense or hard to bear.
    Aftercare depends on how you scar, and how you want the scar to end up. The bottom line is that no matter how you regulate things, there is just no known way to producing different types of scar. You can, however, give it a push in the right direction.

If you leave it alone, it'll scar lightly and be more likely to fade. If you irritate it, it'll scar thicker and darker. You can use chemical irritants or you can just scrub it. Personally, because my scars tend to fade, but I still want a light look, I'll be giving it a gentle hassling whenever I shower with a loofa.

It's wrapped in a bandage for one day, then left to breathe. No irritation within the first few days.

Questions are welcome, and I'll try to answer what I can!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

- UPDATE!! -

Day ONE:

2013-05-19122421.jpg

Day THREE:

2013-05-21180914.jpg

After the first day, it was mostly pink, with red in a few spots. As of day three, it's mostly orange, as it's starting to scab.

Some things involving movement of that area are quite awkward, like showering, changing clothes, lying on my left side, and general movement of my left arm. Nothing too bad though, and it's getting steadily better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's keeping the colour well. Always wondered about the healing of scarification, be interesting to see how it continues.

2013-05-23232705.jpg

Day FIVE!

Scar is a little more red than usual as took this pic right after a shower. Already, the inconveniences it's been causing are reduced. Almost no difficulty sleeping or showering, things which were previously a nightmare. I've noticed that certain types of clothing irritate it more, I think due to different qualities of materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

First time I've heard of or seen scarification. Seems interesting. I myself would certainly never try it though, ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't think it would be for me personally, but never say never i suppose, i've seen some great examples on the internet and whatnot
    A quick question though - what about going out in the sun (on holidays for example) - would it be just like any other scar or is it skin cancer just waiting to happen?
    Actually 2 quick questions - does it hurt as much as it looks?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

A quick question though - what about going out in the sun (on holidays for example) - would it be just like any other scar or is it skin cancer just waiting to happen?

Not sure why you would think this? All skin, be it scar tissue or not is liable to develop skin cancer on exposure to the sun, I don't see why this would be any more liable than any other skin?

I don't think it would be for me personally, but never say never i suppose, i've seen some great examples on the internet and whatnot
    Actually 2 quick questions - does it hurt as much as it looks?:eek:

Yeah, I have no reason to believe that it would be any more likely to get cancer, as Damo said.

As for pain, some bits of it could barely be felt (thanks to numbing spray) and other parts were agony. It was never unbearable, just very tense, and altogether unpleasant. The worst part is trying to sit still when you're in pain, as the body's natural reaction is to try to get away from it. I found myself clenching the arm of the chair and and moving my feet about to try and ease things when the going got tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Fair play to ya.

I've always thought of proper scarification as the most primal type of body art/modification

Can't wait to see more updates of how it heals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not sure why you would think this? All skin, be it scar tissue or not is liable to develop skin cancer on exposure to the sun, I don't see why this would be any more liable than any other skin?

I was thinking along the lines of thinner skin leading to increased damage by UV - but i've based that on nothing really so i could well be wrong. Probably not so much of an issue with one the size of the OPs, but i've seen some really extensive ones online like this one say.

242885026_5fc9f8d35a_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

where did you get it done?
    I've been looking at scarification for awhile now..

• Advertisement

where did you get it done?
    I've been looking at scarification for awhile now..

Patric Aultice at Zulu/Iconic Art :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

You say to get paler scars you pretty much leave it alone, would you moisturise it like a tattoo or just leave it to scab and heal up that way? Are the infection risks higher than that of tattoo? I know a tattoo is essentially an open wound but scarification seems like more of wound to me. :P

Something that interests me but don't think I would ever be brave enough to get it done. Also no idea what I would get.

Scarification is quite unpredictable. You can't really guarantee a certain type of scar, just increase your chances of getting a particular type. Shallower cuts, certain aftercare (to reduce scarring) and body type will all be required to produce a white scar. I think mine will be light brown, but we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 octopusss

Very cool !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

That design is gorgeous. I was kind of wincing just thinking about it but when I saw where you were positioning it :eek:eek.png I hope it heals well because it will look amazing. Not that it doesn't look good now but it's too fresh for me to properly compliment it.

Thanks, I'm rather proud of the design. I can't state enough how surprised I was that it came out so well, considering I'm SO out of practise at drawing. I've not even attempted a project in about two years, bar this. And I get what you mean about the healing as well. What I'm looking forward to most is being able to run my fingers over it and feel the design, but not feel any pain from the cutting.

2013-05-27150203.jpg

Day NINE!

Significant progress. Most of the scabs have came off, and there is now no pain. Even if I stretch my arm purposely to irritate it, I just feel a slight tightness. I've noticed that the piece stretches out quite a bit as my arm moves though, where an extra inch or two of length can be created, which distorts the design. Not a problem so to speak, just something that I should be aware of. Also, scarring on the left side of the piece (my left) where there is most movement is going to be heavier than the right side. Already, one side is fading where the other is still quite red.

In about a week I'll be finishing the blank segments with biopsy punches, and once it's healed enough that there is no discomfort, I'll be getting it touched up. Making the points a bit more pointy, regulating scarring, adding in one or two small additional lines, that kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Hmm, cutting back into scars, I can imagine that being quite painful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Oh God, I'm whincing at the idea of touching up a scarification piece :o.

Can you kinda stretch your skin on the right side across your chest so as to irritate it to the same degree as the left? Kind of press down on the skin near the piece and pull the skin across? Or are you deliberately wanting the left side to be scarred heavier?

It sounds like you need to be more hands on in aftercare than with tattoos?

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Oh God, I'm whincing at the idea of touching up a scarification piece :o.

Can you kinda stretch your skin on the right side across your chest so as to irritate it to the same degree as the left? Kind of press down on the skin near the piece and pull the skin across? Or are you deliberately wanting the left side to be scarred heavier?

It sounds like you need to be more hands on in aftercare than with tattoos?

I might just irritate one side more, and the touching up can help with that kind of thing too. I'll be getting as little as possible re-cut though, it's really not a pleasant experience. I can get as many piercings as you can throw at me, cuz they only hurt for a second, but scarification is a whole different type of pain. It doesn't hurt more, it's the duration it takes that bothers me.

• Advertisement

How long would you need to sit for a touch up?

I don't know to be honest. Probably about half an hour, so not the end of the world, but I'm not keen on doing any more than is necessary, for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Im glad you said about making the points more pointy as it was irritating me but didnt want to say anything. I am really looking forward to it being finished as I am currently trying to decide on someone to do my piece for me.

Thats cool as F**k
    just make sure you never get moobs or its gonna look rank!

954654_540746499299987_424035839_n.jpg

Day TWELVE!

Scabbing is completely gone. No pain, even if I try to irritate it. Piece seems to have completely finished the awkward stages of healing, and now it just needs to change colour! I'm taking a trip to Cork next week, but will probably get the rest of the design finished around the 10th of June.

Is that it's permanent colour now at that stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd reckon it's going to get much lighter? Any scar I have is a lot lighter than that after starting out that red angry colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Scabbing is completely gone. No pain, even if I try to irritate it. Piece seems to have completely finished the awkward stages of healing, and now it just needs to change colour! I'm taking a trip to Cork next week, but will probably get the rest of the design finished around the 10th of June.

Answer is in the post. :)

Too tired to read back last night :)

• Advertisement

Day TWENTY!

No picture this time, as it looks pretty much the same as always. However, there are yet more changes! It's now starting to develop quite a texture, you can really feel the shape of the design when you run your fingers over it. The left is still more pronounced, but it's too late to really do anything about that now. When I get the design finished, I think I'll make the dots of the left side slightly smaller, in anticipation of them ending up bigger. I can also feel a tightness when I stretch my chest that I hadn't felt in about a week which I imagine is a result of the new thickness of the scarring.

Advertisement