Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home surveillance systems for the wealthy

Options
  • 20-05-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how feasible you think it would be to setup a small company which designs sells and installs home surveillance systems. I would plan on using high quality IP cameras along with windows based pc's/servers for recording. Also the customer would be able to view the cameras remotely on an apple or android device.

When I mean for the wealthy, I mean that the kit would most likely be too expensive for the average Joe to have installed in their house although prices for cameras are continually falling.

Its no secret that robberies are on the increase and a surveillance system can give peace of mind. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You'd have to do the market research on competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How do you know the person you are looking at on the screen should or shouldn't be there?

Also, the thought of cameras in my home, while I'm there, has visions of Big Brother about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

Im not too up on home security, but the only searching i have done in relation to being able to view a camera while away without the need for a subscription, also with the ability to view from a smart phone led me to the doorbot, it is a wireless doorbell that operates on yoyr wifi, which is from what i can see a product that has yet to get any real testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Netwatch have this market wrapped up and it would be very difficult to compete

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Im not too up on home security, but the only searching i have done in relation to being able to view a camera while away without the need for a subscription, also with the ability to view from a smart phone led me to the doorbot, it is a wireless doorbell that operates on yoyr wifi, which is from what i can see a product that has yet to get any real testing.

This is really hard to follow but if I read it correctly you are saying that Doorbot is the only option here ?

If that's the case then it's not true - any IP Camera can be setup for remote viewing - I've setup IP Cameras for parents to remote view their kids rooms from within their own network or remotely - you can even control the pan/tilt/zoom etc from any handheld (iOS,android) or computer.

http://dyn.com/dns/ is king !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hi all,

Just wondering how feasible you think it would be to setup a small company which designs sells and installs home surveillance systems. I would plan on using high quality IP cameras along with windows based pc's/servers for recording. Also the customer would be able to view the cameras remotely on an apple or android device.

When I mean for the wealthy, I mean that the kit would most likely be too expensive for the average Joe to have installed in their house although prices for cameras are continually falling.

Its no secret that robberies are on the increase and a surveillance system can give peace of mind. What are your thoughts?

Id suggest that most people who could afford such kit would be business owners / high level positions in companies Etc

With that in mind would they not just use the company security provider?

I have various bits in my home, panic buttons etc etc - it's all installed, and monitored by my security company, it's built into the price of the company fit out as is the annual monitoring costs

just to follow on with this - the kit is actually quite inexpensive - you can get started with a simple 8 channel recorder with 4 cameras for a little over 300 quid.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/8-channel-500gb-network-dvr-with-4x-night-vision-cameras-and-smart-phone-access-632880

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭scoobydoobie

ifah wrote: »
    This is really hard to follow but if I read it correctly you are saying that Doorbot is the only option here ?

If that's the case then it's not true - any IP Camera can be setup for remote viewing - I've setup IP Cameras for parents to remote view their kids rooms from within their own network or remotely - you can even control the pan/tilt/zoom etc from any handheld (iOS,android) or computer.

http://dyn.com/dns/ is king !
    Sorry about that, it is pretty poor alright, i was in a hurry out the door and didn't read it back before posting, no im not saying that the doorbot is the only option, i am interested in a camera i could view while im away, but dont want to pay for a subscription, the small bit of searching i did led me to the doorbot, i was just making the op aware of it, as i taught it might be a unique product in the sense that it works off your wifi, but there could be many that also do it, i guess their angle is that when your doorbell goes off it rings your phone and gives you the image,

thanks for the link i will check that out, still want a setup like this so need to check what options are out threre. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

There are Data Proection issues to be considered by users.

Domestic use of CCTV systems.

The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system – for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded – may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.]

Not too onerous but if you are selling security systems such as this you need to be registered . More info here. http://www.eqa.ie/Product_Certification/85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Homer

ifah wrote: »
    just to follow on with this - the kit is actually quite inexpensive - you can get started with a simple 8 channel recorder with 4 cameras for a little over 300 quid.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/8-channel-500gb-network-dvr-with-4x-night-vision-cameras-and-smart-phone-access-632880

An 8 channel dvr with 4 cameras for that price and you will get what you pay for. You're not comparing apples with apples in relation to the original post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a ptz ip camera on my office network, viewable from anywhere, on browser, on phone etc

it even does 2 way talk

and the price, 50 stg mail order!!!!

Homer wrote: »
    An 8 channel dvr with 4 cameras for that price and you will get what you pay for. You're not comparing apples with apples in relation to the original post!

There was nothing to compare to in the original post - I just gave an example of a simple 8 channel recorder with ip cameras. My point is that it is not that unique a proposition and remote viewing is nothing new or unique either.

There are varying levels to any product offering but you would need to have some serious differentiators to encourage customers to choose you over something most home alarm companies are already offering.

As for a windows based system - you would be better off with a *nix based system. Less overheads in terms of cost and maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You need to be a registered installer for a start by the way. They cracked down big time on cowboy CCTV. Not sure how enforceable it is but it is in legislation.

Do you have experience with CCTV and cameras in general? You will need to do some serious research if not. Not all cameras are made the same or work the same in night / day etc. Its actually a pretty technical field to be in. You weakest link is the IP bit. You can't use wifi based cameras for serious installations. You also should be using dedicated recorders, not Window's computers. And data protection is a big part of this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would think there is a fair bit of well established competition out there already who have been in the game for a while.
    I've dealt with at least three long established companies in the past 12 months who do this for residential and commercial customers.

Market research is key here I would think, before putting anything else into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

A relation of mine has a security company. As part of his product portfolio, he frequently installs remotely visible CCTV systems, which seems to be where you are coming from. He tells me its part of the business, but only part, and would probably not be viable on its own.

AFAIK, the cameras transmit to a limited number receivers over the internet, and as such are subject to all the usual data protection rules. Images that are compliant are admissible in court.

Installers must be registered with the new government agency, and if the system is independently monitored, so must the monitoring company.

Apparently, there is a lot of competition in this area currently, as a lot of un- or under employed electricians are getting into it.

Having said all that, if you decide to go ahead with this idea, best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

No offence op, bit it sounds to me like you are talking about nothing more than what standard dvr systems do. I played with ip cameras for a while, but in the end went for a networked dvr, which is far more reliable, fat better camera range and spec etc and I don't see the advantage of ip cameras except they are a heel of a lot more pricy!

Advertisement