Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant applications open for 2013/2014

Options
  • 20-05-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

SUSI opened their doors, metaphorically speaking, this morning. :)

http://www.grantsonline.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

If you applied for a grant last year and were refused can you apply again this year when moving into second year? Ill be 28 and only income is BTEA and small part time money from approx 6 hours a week in a pub but living at home so parents pensions come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you applied for a grant last year and were refused can you apply again this year when moving into second year? Ill be 28 and only income is BTEA and small part time money from approx 6 hours a week in a pub but living at home so parents pensions come into play.

Yes you can apply again but have your circunstances significantly changed?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

Hi, I attempted college as a mature student in 2004 but due to unforeseen circumstances I had to drop out after the first semester, and after this I received my first and only grant payment. I am now, nearly a decade later making a more considered attempt, but have been advised by several mature student officers that because more than 5 years has elapsed and I received minimal payment of a grant that it should not affect my present application, however, I have also been advised not to even mention my previous attendance?
    what do you folks think?
    I'm far more comfortable with transparency, however i am totally reliant on receiving the grant to proceed.......

opinions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Can a grant and BTEA both be claimed?

I havent applied for either yet but have gotten my offer from DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

cw67irl wrote: »
    Can a grant and BTEA both be claimed?

I havent applied for either yet but have gotten my offer from DCU
    you can get the fees part of the grant with btea but not the maintenance part. well done on getting ur place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Ah ok so the SUSI grant covers the college fees and BTEA is the weekly payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

cw67irl wrote: »
    Ah ok so the SUSI grant covers the college fees and BTEA is the weekly payment?

BTEA is the weekly payment and will be paid into your bank account for the duration of the college term. SUSI will cover the Student Contribution Charge = €2500. You will have to pay the student levy, which varies depending on your college.
    EU Free Fees will be automatically given to you if you have never been to 3rd level before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi cw67irl,

BTEA is from a separate government department. If you receive this then you're not entitled to apply for the maintenance section of our grant. This is because both payments are awarded for the same purpose.

While in receipt of BTEA you are entitled to apply for the fees through SuSi, unless it is a PLC college as we don't fund the fees for those colleges.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Yes you can apply again but have your circunstances significantly changed?
    Thanks for reply, circumstances are slightly different as when I applied last year I had had an income for 9 months of the year before that I had to put in which I don't really have this year. Find it ridiculous that my parents pension income is regarded as mine when applying, they cannot afford to give me anything towards fees (last year had to take out a loan to cover) but have to accept they are the rules while I'm back living with them. Is there a figure that decides whether income from the previous year will qualify you for the fee grant or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks for reply, circumstances are slightly different as when I applied last year I had had an income for 9 months of the year before that I had to put in which I don't really have this year. Find it ridiculous that my parents pension income is regarded as mine when applying, they cannot afford to give me anything towards fees (last year had to take out a loan to cover) but have to accept they are the rules while I'm back living with them. Is there a figure that decides whether income from the previous year will qualify you for the fee grant or not?

The figures are here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

LaLacuna wrote: »
    Hi, I attempted college as a mature student in 2004 but due to unforeseen circumstances I had to drop out after the first semester, and after this I received my first and only grant payment. I am now, nearly a decade later making a more considered attempt, but have been advised by several mature student officers that because more than 5 years has elapsed and I received minimal payment of a grant that it should not affect my present application, however, I have also been advised not to even mention my previous attendance?
    what do you folks think?
    I'm far more comfortable with transparency, however i am totally reliant on receiving the grant to proceed.......

opinions welcome!

Hey , I went back to college last year and like yourself I had attempted education back in 2004. The 5 year rule does apply. I gave them all the information from my previous education and there was no problem. Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nordie Durdle

Being a mature independent student from Northern Ireland the email I received was rather unclear.

Living and working in Northern Ireland I don't have a PPS number, I'm assuming then that I don't need one to apply? Could I provide my NI number?

Given that I have lived and worked in NI my whole life and I seem to meet the residency, nationality and other stipulations on the SUSI student page, does that mean I can be classed as a grant eligible student rather than an overseas tuition student?

Where it mentions providing gross income details for 2012, is the 2012-2013 P60 certificate what they want? Rather than a year of bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Nordi Durdle you might be better off talking directly to SUSI. You could PM them on Boards or ring or email them: https://www.grantsonline.ie/

Being a mature independent student from Northern Ireland the email I received was rather unclear.

Living and working in Northern Ireland I don't have a PPS number, I'm assuming then that I don't need one to apply? Could I provide my NI number?

Given that I have lived and worked in NI my whole life and I seem to meet the residency, nationality and other stipulations on the SUSI student page, does that mean I can be classed as a grant eligible student rather than an overseas tuition student?

Where it mentions providing gross income details for 2012, is the 2012-2013 P60 certificate what they want? Rather than a year of bank statements.

Hi Nordie Durdle,

You will need to set up a PPS to apply through SuSi. In order to do this you will need to contact C.I.S in the Department of Social Protection. You can find all the information on how retrieve this at the following site: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-How-to-Apply.aspx

Also you don’t need to provide any documents with your application. Just the figures will be needed. The figures will need to cover January 2012 – December 2012.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi Aoife,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please just confirm that being an Irish citizen, with an Irish passport and shortly a PPS number that I meet the residency requirements to apply for the student grand despite my living and working in Northern Ireland. (a mere few miles the wrong side of the border)

The definition on studentfinance.ie says I must have lived in Ireland for three of the past five years. Other official government forms clearly state 'Island of Ireland' or 'within the Irish state' to clarify for us Irish nationals north of the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

OK, so applied for the grant - got a letter this morning from SUSI - I don't qualify.

"Refused: Previously Attended Undergraduate Level 8 Course (C)

As per article 15(7)(c)(iv) of the Student Grant Scheme 2013 applicants who previously attended a course at Level 8 will be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course where more than one year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant".

OK, so does this mean that I've to attend a a PLC for 2 years before qualifying? Is there any other way I can qualify? I don't particularly want to spend 2 years doing a PLC, then 4 years in a degree - I'm old enough as it is!

Any help at all appreciated!

Hi Aoife,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please just confirm that being an Irish citizen, with an Irish passport and shortly a PPS number that I meet the residency requirements to apply for the student grand despite my living and working in Northern Ireland. (a mere few miles the wrong side of the border)

The definition on studentfinance.ie says I must have lived in Ireland for three of the past five years. Other official government forms clearly state 'Island of Ireland' or 'within the Irish state' to clarify for us Irish nationals north of the border.

OK, so applied for the grant - got a letter this morning from SUSI - I don't qualify.

"Refused: Previously Attended Undergraduate Level 8 Course (C)

As per article 15(7)(c)(iv) of the Student Grant Scheme 2013 applicants who previously attended a course at Level 8 will be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course where more than one year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant".

OK, so does this mean that I've to attend a a PLC for 2 years before qualifying? Is there any other way I can qualify? I don't particularly want to spend 2 years doing a PLC, then 4 years in a degree - I'm old enough as it is!

Any help at all appreciated!

Hi Nordie Durdle,

As you’re an Irish Citizen then you will be eligible to apply for the grant. The residency requirement is that you live in Ireland or the E.U for three out of the last five years.

Hi Intel240787,

Did you complete the level 8 course that you previously attended? If not, then there is an option that lets you go back to complete a PLC and then continue again into the degree. If you do not wish to go back to do a PLC then you will have to do complete the same period of the level 8 you already completed without funding. You may then apply again once this period is complete.

I hope this information helps. The option to private mail me is also available. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

SuSi: Reps wrote: »

Hi Nordie Durdle,

As you’re an Irish Citizen then you will be eligible to apply for the grant. The residency requirement is that you live in Ireland or the E.U for three out of the last five years.

I have just been told that this is for the free fee grant only. I have to have been resident in the Irish state for 3 of the past 5 years to claim my entitlement to the maintenance grant. Northern Ireland doesn't count seemingly. :(

Hi Nordie Durdle,

That would apply if you were not an Irish Citizen. As you hold an Irish passport you are entitled to apply for the grant both the Fee and the Maintenance section. If you were not an Irish citizen then you would only be entitled to apply for fees as you would be considered a Tuition Student.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask. The option to private mail is also available.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smallfort

Hey all,I'm a mature student going to start 3rd level in september,i've been on the dole for a good while now and dont know if i have to pay any fees i was thinking of going on the back to education allowance,i've never been to college and i am living at home does anyone know if i have to pay anything or am in for the full whack??

• Advertisement

Hi Smallfort,

Every Irish citizen is entitled to have their fees paid for once in their lifetime. It is called the Free Fee scheme. You can find the details about this at the following site: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html.

As you live at home you will be classed as a dependent student and therefore your parent’s income will be taken into account. A means test will be carried on their income to determine the amount of the grant you receive. You can find the income thresholds through the following link:http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1368781121/SI_159_of_2013_Student_Grant_Scheme_2013_Final.pdf.

Also, if you do receive BTEA then you will not be entitled to receive the maintenance section of the grant from SuSi.

I hope this information helps and if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I have just received my letter for documentation needed and on it is my partners p45 but he was not working in 1012 so why do i need it also Evidence of living in Ireland do the need this too?
    Basically are they looking for everything listed on the paper?

Hi Lisar816,

Can you private mail me the following details and I will look into your query? I need the following information: W reference number, D.O.B, Address, Mother's Maiden Name:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Is the form for 2013/2014 available to fill out?

Hi JohnMc1,

Which form are you referring to?

The application is available to fill out. You can do so on the following website: www.grantsonline.ie.

If there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Thanks Aoife

Hi JohnMc1,

Which form are you referring to?

The application is available to fill out. You can do so on the following website: www.grantsonline.ie.

If there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Is there any way SUSI can mail me an application form? I keep getting an error with the CatchPas

Hi JohnMc1,

Unfortunately it has to be completed online. We only issue manual applications in special circumstances. Try completing the form on a new PC or changing browsers, this sometimes resolves technical issues.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i sent off my documents today and included a copy of my passport, will this do to say i have lived here the past 5 years i have lived in Ireland all my life so don't no why they were looking for this?

• Advertisement

Hi JohnMc1,

Unfortunately it has to be completed online. We only issue manual applications in special circumstances. Try completing the form on a new PC or changing browsers, this sometimes resolves technical issues.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Thanks again Aoife. I opened it in Internet Explorer and it worked.How long will it take for me to receive the letter requesting the supplemental information?

Advertisement