Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant applications open for 2013/2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Owryan wrote: »
    38yo heading back to school, have all my paperwork in with susi and am at the "pending course approval" . Been accepted for a lvl5 course in the Carlow inst for further ed.

Just wondering what I need to do now, havent heard anything from susi ? Tbh not even sure if the course will qualify for a grant or not

The course will qualify for the grant if you meet the conditions. Have you not applied for BTEA? You can check your application online with susi.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

to apply for a fuel allowance , would this be factored into your BTEA or SUSI or does it a require a seperate application . (full time level 6 course if that would make a difference?)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Kieran81 wrote: »
    to apply for a fuel allowance , would this be factored into your BTEA or SUSI or does it a require a seperate application . (full time level 6 course if that would make a difference?)

completely separate application

I don't think you would be eligible on BTEA though

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/fuel_allowance.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

i shouldn't have called it fuel allowance as that link was about home heating fuel , by calling it a fuel allowance , what i meant was petrol for travel to and from college

i shouldn't have called it fuel allowance as that link was about home heating fuel , by calling it a fuel allowance , what i meant was petrol for travel to and from college

You don't get that with SUSI or BTEA

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

The course will qualify for the grant if you meet the conditions. Have you not applied for BTEA? You can check your application online with susi.

Are you sure, usually susi doesnt cover level 5+6 courses, which are basically fetac courses, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Just had a look on my SUSI application and its on the final assessment phase and it says 3 weeks minimum. Does this mean it will be at least 3 weeks until I know and could be even longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

gline wrote: »
    Are you sure, usually susi doesnt cover level 5+6 courses, which are basically fetac courses, no?

When I applied I was told that some longterm sw payments could qualify for a maintenance payment on a lev. 5 course. But im getting conflicting info.

gline wrote: »

You do get maintenance grants for plc courses but if you get btea you can't get a separate fee grant

Terry Pratchet

By the way you can get a travel allowance with VTOS but VTOS is very hard to get and most places on it are gone now.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You do get maintenance grants for plc courses but if you get btea you can't get a separate fee grant

Thanks for clearing that up Mango Salsa, from what I ve been able to find out I can stay on DA and should be entitled to the maint grant . Hopefully thats the case as it ll just about cover childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frogtoireland

Hi Folks,
    I am planning on returning to Ireland after four years in France, I previously attended a course in an IT but dropped out and it was more than five years ago. Do you think that I could get some kind of grant on acceptance, without this I would not be able to fund my studies. Any advice on applications, cover letter etc. any advice from anybody who has been in the same boat would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Hi Folks,
    I am planning on returning to Ireland after four years in France, I previously attended a course in an IT but dropped out and it was more than five years ago. Do you think that I could get some kind of grant on acceptance, without this I would not be able to fund my studies. Any advice on applications, cover letter etc. any advice from anybody who has been in the same boat would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Your residency might be a problem

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Residence

You must have been legally resident in the State for 3 of the previous 5 years to qualify for a maintenance grant. However, if you are studying elsewhere in the EU for a recognised qualification, and you were resident in the State for 3 of the 5 years before starting that course, you satisfy this requirement. Find more details of this requirement on studentfinance.ie.

If you fulfil all the criteria for a maintenance grant except for the residence condition in the State, you may still qualify for a fee grant or a postgraduate fee contribution as a ‘tuition student’.

A tuition student is someone who fulfils all the conditions for a student grant except for residence in the State, but who has been resident in an EEA state or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years.The members of the EEA (the European Economic Area) are the member states of the EU, along with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement