Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my new line slower than the old one?

Options
  • 20-05-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi Guys. This is a question for the Eircom reps. My old phone line developed a fault in early March and eight weeks and two days later I got a new, much shorter one.(Not Eircom's delay but footpath opening licence problems).

The new line is about 15 metres long from my phone socket to where it is connected in the footpath outside my house.
    The old line is an overhead one and it was about 300 metres from my socket to the connection under the path. 

When the old line developed the fault broadband support reduced the speed on the line from 16??? kb/s to 9??? kb/s.

When the new line was installed I rang broadband support and they told me that the maximum speed they could give me is 12285 kb/s. 
    When the old line was working I was getting download speeds in excess of the maximum I am allowed now.

I am 650 metres from my nearest exchange so distance should not be a factor.

Anyone got any ideas?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Hi Guys. This is a question for the Eircom reps. My old phone line developed a fault in early March and eight weeks and two days later I got a new, much shorter one.(Not Eircom's delay but footpath opening licence problems).

The new line is about 15 metres long from my phone socket to where it is connected in the footpath outside my house.
    The old line is an overhead one and it was about 300 metres from my socket to the connection under the path. 

When the old line developed the fault broadband support reduced the speed on the line from 16??? kb/s to 9??? kb/s.

When the new line was installed I rang broadband support and they told me that the maximum speed they could give me is 12285 kb/s. 
    When the old line was working I was getting download speeds in excess of the maximum I am allowed now.

I am 650 metres from my nearest exchange so distance should not be a factor.

Anyone got any ideas?.

Hi bluezulu49

The speed to the main socket is showing:

Downstream
    Synced at: 12285kbps Provisioned: 2048-12288kbps 

Are the speeds you outline "9MB" over wifi connection?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

Hi Mark.
              Speeds outlined are over wifi with computer less than 3 metres from router. If I connect using ethernet the speed is very slightly higher by about 250 kb/s.

Using the old line and the same router, computer and wireless network from last December to March I was getting download speeds in excess of 12000kb/s and had a maximum permitted speed in excess of 16000kb/s. 

My question is really why my current maximum allowable speed is 4000kb/s lower on a new short line (15 metres) than it was on a much longer (300 meters plus) 60 year old line.
    A visiting Eircom technician looked up my line capacity about 2 years ago and told me the maximum speed available through the old line was 15000 kb/s.

I would have expected a new line to the same connection in the road to be at least as fast if not faster than the old one.

My current experience would not encourage me to upgrade to fibre broadband.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bluezulu49.

Hi Mark.
              Speeds outlined are over wifi with computer less than 3 metres from router. If I connect using ethernet the speed is very slightly higher by about 250 kb/s.

Using the old line and the same router, computer and wireless network from last December to March I was getting download speeds in excess of 12000kb/s and had a maximum permitted speed in excess of 16000kb/s. 

My question is really why my current maximum allowable speed is 4000kb/s lower on a new short line (15 metres) than it was on a much longer (300 meters plus) 60 year old line.
    A visiting Eircom technician looked up my line capacity about 2 years ago and told me the maximum speed available through the old line was 15000 kb/s.

I would have expected a new line to the same connection in the road to be at least as fast if not faster than the old one.

My current experience would not encourage me to upgrade to fibre broadband.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bluezulu49.

Hi bluezulu49,

I am checking the case history with broadband support and we will follow up with you next week.

Mark

Hi bluezulu49,

I am checking the case history with broadband support and we will follow up with you next week.

Mark

Hi bluezulu49,
    I spoke to managers in broadband support and they confirmed that when you called them in April and the technician was out. He advised the broadband / speed profile was set to high at 15MB download for the line capability.

So they reduced it to 12MB to stop the disconnects. We can try the 15MB profile again however that may result in disconnects.

Do you want to go ahead and try?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
               Yes please increase the speed again. The old line is attached to a leaning pole which the visiting technician declined to climb ( I don't blame him) and it appeared that there might be a mechanical reason for the fault on the line as eight lines are strung from the pole, 7 in one direction and mine in the opposite direction. The pole has apparently rotted and moved away from my house tightening my old line. When the technician was here he suggested I ring broadband support and they reduced the speed in a (vain) effort to stop the line disconnects.
    Surely the new line would support the original speed on the old line?.
    I should be much obliged if you would kindly arrange to have the speed increased as suggested.
    Many thanks,
    Bluezulu49.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

wifi test results are NEVER accurate... wifi speeds vary to quickly and thus distorts the test.

plug an ethernet cable from your modem into your laptop and then run a speed test.

the cable WILL give you an accurate result

wifi test results are NEVER accurate... wifi speeds vary to quickly and thus distorts the test.

plug an ethernet cable from your modem into your laptop and then run a speed test.

the cable WILL give you an accurate result

I did this already see post 3 above. Speed using wire only c 250bits/second faster. Speed with new line c 4 mbits/s slower than with old line.

Bluezulu49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi bluezulu49,

This request has been sent off for you, hopefully this improves your speeds and resolves your issue.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi guys.

To bring you up to date speeds have been changed downwards to 11998/765 (kbps).

At this stage I feel like giving up!

Hi guys.

To bring you up to date speeds have been changed downwards to 11998/765 (kbps).

At this stage I feel like giving up!

Hi bluezulu49

There are so many factors that can affect the speed. I appreciate the history regarding the telephone line.

However we are limited in the detailed tests we can run.

Would it be possible to call broadband support so they can run some step by step checks on 1890 260 260?

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement