Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furry Glen Dundalk

Options
  • 20-05-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi folks

What the story with this park now. I see a big green fence aroudn it now? Are the public no longer allowed access?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Hi folks

What the story with this park now. I see a big green fence aroudn it now? Are the public no longer allowed access?

You can walk around the fenced part.
    Looks like some sort of sports ground,maybe for cricket?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

You can walk around the fenced part.
    Looks like some sort of sports ground,maybe for cricket?

So you can walk around the outside of it, you can no longer get in and obvioulsy no longer walk your dog all around it

Such a pity, this was a great place for the pubic and always very popular

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shev7924

Dont want to hijack your tread but is there any local public parks left in Dundalk as I have a new club set up in the town and we are looking for somewhere to have a bit of practice.Not from Dundalk myself but just looking for somewhere that would have a flat green area.Anywhere spring to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    So you can walk around the outside of it, you can no longer get in and obvioulsy no longer walk your dog all around it

Such a pity, this was a great place for the pubic and always very popular

Yup.

As far as i can make out thats all you can do.

And also agree with the second part of your post.
    Don't know what happened up there but will try to find out.

BTW for anyone that dosn't know,the Furry Glen is the park beside Oriel Park opp Cheevers old shop/McDermott's Tce,Carrick Road.

Edit-

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/furry-glen-access-issue-26962792.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think one of the problems with the previous set up was the amount of dog shit that was left in the Grammar School's field. People generally don't pick up dog shit when they are in a field so the students were getting sick of stepping on poo all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I still had a giggle at the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Thought there was a group set up to liase with the Grammar School and still have it available for people to walk/run. Dog sh*t was only a minor part of the issue. It boiled down to public liability insurance costs for the school on an unsecured area that the general public were using! Im not aware of anyone suing for an injury so it was possibly done on advice. It was planned to fence it in from the time the land was bought back 1993/94 anyhow.

On dog owners not cleaning up after their pets mess:mad: - Friary field is another green area that is being considered for proper fencing in and being gated and locked - this is specific to health and safety of the school kids trodding and falling in poo!

Advertisement