Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKC breeder wont use vets, has no vet papers and flea's

• 20-05-2013 3:56pm

So a friend of ours wants to get a certain type of dog. He went to the IKC and they recommended a breeder.

A visit was done and a deposit was paid he just had to wait until the 8 weeks is up.He then contacted us to tell us that he had paid a deposit for the dog, but he picked up flea's while he was there and his other dog now needs to be treated (alarm bells)

As it was coming closer the date he called the breeder to let her know that he will be coming down to collect the dog. He aslo said that my partner a vet nurse is going down with him. She then Immediately said no no no , no vet is touching any of my dogs, you cannot have this dog if she comes down (alarm bells)

Upon getting this news we asked if any of the puppys have Vet certs, he called her back and she said no, she gave all the injections herself. She doesn't trust vets (alarm bells)

Now i dont want to give the breed of this dog as this person can be easily found. IKC are advertising her as the only recommended breeder. He is paying huge money for a fairly common dog in my opinion. But there are alot of alarm bells there for me. Is it common for breeders to be like that ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

What do you mean IKC is advertising her as the only breeder of this breed if it is common? The IKC don't advertise any breeders. Do you mean that the breeder is a Club Member?

Some breeders do vaccinate their own dogs however not letting a vet nurse near the puppies or breeders premises sounds suspect. PM me the breed if you like.

IKC reg does not always mean reputable breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would advise your friend to tell the breeder that there has been a sudden change in family circumstances, he can no longer get a dog, and he wants his money back*. I would then recommend that he contact the IKC and let them know what he experienced so that they can stop referring people to that breeder. This breeder sounds like a scammer to me.

Is he determined to get a particular breed? I would go without, or go abroad, if my only other option was to purchase from that breeder.

* Then when I showed up to get the cash back I'd tell them that there was no change in circumstances, but that I refused to buy a dog from someone who keeps them in such poor conditions. The reason I'd lie at all is to make sure I'm refunded the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Shocking that breeders that vaccinate themselves are IKC recommended. Vaccinations are not just about sticking a needle in, I wonder does the breeder do a full check before vaccinating? Listening to the heart, taking temp etc? Vaccinating a dog with a temperature is worse than useless. Also, the vacc cards will not be accepted by boarding kennels etc without a vet stamp or signature on them.

Definitely get the deposit back if possible, and then inform the IKC. Why on earth would a good breeder be so concerned about a vet nurse visiting? Poor dogs, and poor pups :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ISDW wrote: »
    Shocking that breeders that vaccinate themselves are IKC recommended. Vaccinations are not just about sticking a needle in, I wonder does the breeder do a full check before vaccinating? Listening to the heart, taking temp etc? Vaccinating a dog with a temperature is worse than useless. Also, the vacc cards will not be accepted by boarding kennels etc without a vet stamp or signature on them.

Definitely get the deposit back if possible, and then inform the IKC. Why on earth would a good breeder be so concerned about a vet nurse visiting? Poor dogs, and poor pups :(

I'd be wondering if the sire and dam were screened for diseases, and hip and eye scored, if the breeder won't let a vet near them. I'm guessing not, so these pups are possibly little ticking time bombs of vet bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would walk away, I would personally prefer for my dog to have their vaccines done by a professional. I am perfectly capable of giving my dog his own vaccines, I was trained how to. But the I want his card for if he ever has to go to kennels, training classes or doggy day care.

Plus I have heard of cases where have been brought in by their owners with Parvo and lepto while they were supposed to be vaccinated as it had been done incorrectly. I was told this by a vet who had no vested interest I.e. I wasn't paying them to do vaccines or had never seen them in a professional setting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Would you buy a car if the seller would not let your mechanic have a quick look at the car.............

Walk away even if it means loosing money.imo.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will get him to read this. He had contacted the IKC and they recommended this breeder and told him its the only one they recommend in Ireland. There are alot more out there. Other breeders are charging 200 - 250. This breeder is charging 800 + But his mind is set on getting this dog. Will get him to read your comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It doesnt matter what they are charging, if it doesnt look and sound right then he needs to walk away. Trust me, if things arent good now they can only get worse!!

If you pm the breed i might know of other breeders i can recommend to you, as i know a lot of people in all different breeds.

The IKC might be just friendly with this person so are only recommending this one breeder and not others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

something is def not right here walk away now its a pity when you have your mind set on a particular pup better a little regret now than heartbreak in a few years time what breed pup are we even speaking about

Advertisement