Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open All Bus Lanes to Bikers

• 20-05-2013 4:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

We pay road tax with no benefits, no parking spots, no use of bus lanes, nothing there for us

Should Bikers Be allowed To Use Bus Lanes 94 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    86% 81 votes
    Other. Please Explain
    13% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Have they cracked down on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Definitely. The bus lanes are there to allow buses/taxis congestion free flow through the city. Bikes don't add to congestion really, and using the bus lane would easily allow bikes to slip past traffic without blocking off the buses/taxis, while adding to biker safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Fine by me if it gets them out of the main flow of traffic. I doubt bus drivers would be happy with them clogging up bus lanes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

We dont clog up the bus lanes. We are generally in front and faster from the off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Fine by me if it gets them out of the main flow of traffic. I doubt bus drivers would be happy with them clogging up bus lanes though.

I always use bus/taxi lanes. Surprisingly, no bus or taxi driver has ever shown any signs of being pi*$ed off with me in the lane.

• Advertisement

Should have made the poll public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Ohhhh a poll.....

I taught they were always open to bikes :pac::pac::pac:. I have had more people honk/flash/get pissed off pulling in front at lights then I ever had going down a bus lane.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I'm a cyclist, don't have a problem with it. The only thing is I can imagine bikers getting pissed off at the bicycles slowing them down, and cyclists worrying that they'll lose their sheltered lane and be more at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There are not a major amount of bikes on the road so I can see little disruption unless busses are doing more than about 40kph which very few do in city centre locations, loads of stops and activity, pedestrians, cars parking and other stuff tend to keep speed down.

Much better than biker being on or near solid white line dividing bus lane from pleb lanes..... at danger of being hit by either an errant motorist or an errant bus driver so it is probably safer to have the biker in as far to the left as possible, if they can dodge the broken bottles, badly repaired drains or other wheel and tyre shredding detritus tha lurks on the verges of our roads.

On the subject of road features I know more than 1 cyclist who has suffered broken bones from our much vaunted but badly laid out LUAS lines......more signage needed issuing dire warnings to cyclists not to fall into LUAS tracks at low speed and risk toppling over in the path of on coming cars etc.

I would be in favour of allowing motorbikes use the Bus lane as they tend to flit in and out of lanes in an unpredictable manner zipping across traffic at a sharp angle just as cars are about to move off on green lights making for some heart stopping moments..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Don't want bike specific parking spots and don't need to be 'allowed' use the bus lanes. All working grand as is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stephen97 wrote: »
    We pay road tax with no benefits, no parking spots, no use of bus lanes, nothing there for us

I don't.

I use bus lanes and have never been stopped.

I don't.

I use bus lanes and have never been stopped.

Don't what? Pay road tax? How do you manage to get away with that?

rat_race wrote: »
    Don't what? Pay road tax? How do you manage to get away with that?

I don't know anyone who pays it, and to tell you the truth I'm not going to ever pay it either.

I don't know anyone who pays it, and to tell you the truth I'm not going to ever pay it either.

It's only 63, worth it when you get stopped one day.

You didn't answer my last question ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Maybe a poll on who pays road tax next...lol. I only pay it to cover my reg.....pmsl :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

theres no such thing as road tax,try go onto the site to pay your road tax and see where it redirects you

coolbond wrote: »
    theres no such thing as road tax,try go onto the site to pay your road tax and see where it redirects you

Someone gets me now ;)

Lads Pedantic Pete here ~ we all pay Motor Tax :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Road tax should be paid, its not like if they stop me or not, sorry for this words but anyone who aint paying it is a noob in my eyes...

And i am for the bikes being allowed driving in bus lane.

Pay the road tax its nothing, then u gonna start moaning when nct will come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Is eighty-eight euro per year and not sixty three as stated earlier.

I too am pedantic. :)

Also in favor of making the present situation official where the bus lanes are used by most motorcyclists including myself. Only thing that might be said against it would be that it would be abused by people driving goldwing trikes or the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Oink wrote: »
    I'm a cyclist, don't have a problem with it. The only thing is I can imagine bikers getting pissed off at the bicycles slowing them down, and cyclists worrying that they'll lose their sheltered lane and be more at risk.

They did loads of studies in London to try and keep bikes out of bus lanes. They said it would lead to more bike v cyclist crashes. No matter how many times they extended the trials they couldn't get enough bikers to crash into cyclists, in fact the crash rates went down for both, so they've had to open them.

Here the only way you'll get done for riding in a bus lane is if you take the p!ss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Road tax doesnt even give you nice smooth roads anymore....it never did,just lines a few fat cats pockets even more

The latest thing from the goverment,is that you go and fill in the potholes yourself.

I kid you not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

paddy147 wrote: »
    The latest thing from the goverment,is that you go and fill in the potholes yourself.

Article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

stephen97 wrote: »
    We pay road motor tax with no benefits, no parking spots, no use of bus lanes, nothing there for us
    FYP. Again. Jeez, you really have a bug up your ass about this stuff...

You get to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on the public road.

Soundman wrote: »
    Article?

Minister of State Alan Kelly is in charge of this.

Basicly,if you want a road fixed,then you go and fix it yourself.And you have to pay some of the cost too.:eek:

So wtf is motor tax being used for then????

http://www.thejournal.ie/new-road-maintenance-scheme-asks-local-communities-to-contribute-funding-916720-May2013/

Thread in the motoring section about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056952686

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Our side is pay the road tax where the money goes is in other hands. Simple as that. Once again any person who is not paying the low fee is a....

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Our side is pay the road tax where the money goes is in other hands. Simple as that. Once again any person who is not paying the low fee is a....

The low road tax fee is a.... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have never had any issues using bus lanes, has anyone ever been stopped just for using one? I have often gone past a car that has been stopped for using the bus lane and had nothing said to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have never had any issues using bus lanes, has anyone ever been stopped just for using one? I have often gone past a car that has been stopped for using the bus lane and had nothing said to me.

Only time an ex courier friend ever got stopped was during Christmas, when they used to let the students out.

Advertisement