Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet Iphone 5

• 20-05-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭

Wife fell off a boat a couple of days ago (No i didnt push her :)). All of her stuff got soaked with sea water. Unfortunately one of those items was a month old iPhone 5 (Unlocked so no phone company involved).

I tried drying it with a vacuum cleaner and leaving it in a bag of rice, but there is no sign of it coming back to life.

As drowning your phone isn't covered by the warrantee, does anyone know if Apple Belfast will be an out of warrantee exchange for Iphones not purchased from them?

Thanks

smurfjed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Sounds sexy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Put it in a bag of rice, the rice will attract Asians who will fix the Iphone for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

was this in the pacific ocean, atlantic or a different one....different salt levels.

you are more than likely goosed, but remember that when "drying" out an electronic item - its no use trying to dry it for a few hours, let the item "dry" for a number of days until dessicant has properly taken ALL moisture, then you can assess the damage - some parts might be changeable, it might even work - but at this stage I'm guessing its a lesson learned.

insurance is for accidents - the stuff you dont think will happen but when it does happen to you, insurance will repair/replace.....so for the future you are forced with two options: buy insurance or take more care !!

if this was after hours, I'd say if you can afford passage onto a boat (most likely a cruise or foreign destination holiday) and a contract less mobile phone - you can afford to buy a replacement.....no fancy stuff like that in my house (well the place where I rent) ... recession and all that jazz !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Probably a lost cause but connect it to itunes and see what happens. I did this with my daughter's after a similar incident and somehow it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

They should swap it for around €240 in Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A couple days isn't enough sometimes. More like a week in rice in the hot press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I would do a board clean in paint lacquer but I would imagine the circuit board is fried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

contract less mobile phone
    While this obviously sounds decadent to you, it's an obvious choice for someone who travels a lot and wants to avoid excessive roaming charges.
    you can afford to buy a replacement.
    Yep, but before doing that I will fly to New York for the day and get them to swap it :)

But at the moment, Belfast is closer and cheaper.

Thanks for the other answers, I have left it for 4 days to no avail, but it was worth trying :)

smurfjed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Are you saying it's an iPhone bought in the states? I've read Apple won't do anything with them outside the US (repair/replace). If it's not, why don't you just get an online out-of-warranty repair/replacement with apple directly, even easier than going to Belfast.

Phone purchased in the Middle East where there isn't an Apple store, previously just brought phones /ipads into Apple store USA and they replaced them at little cost. So will be interesting to see how they operate outside USA.

Mailing isn't an option as I leave Ireland in a week.

Thanks

Smurfjed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Fairly sure that iPhones have a worldwide warranty. I've replaced iPhones up in Belfast that where bought south of the border with no hassle. There was no cost for in warranty replacement, obviously out of warranty repair/replace will have a cost. Just make sure you make a genius appointment a couple days before heading to the store. Also maybe ring the store before going up and make sure it can be swapped out on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Fairly sure that iPhones have a worldwide warranty. I've replaced iPhones up in Belfast that where bought south of the border with no hassle. There was no cost for in warranty replacement, obviously out of warranty repair/replace will have a cost. Just make sure you make a genius appointment a couple days before heading to the store. Also maybe ring the store before going up and make sure it can be swapped out on the day.

Yes they do but the iPhone 5 has different LTE chips based on what region it was bought it, Europe and USA have different models and will only be replaced in the region it was purchased

Replaced by Apple Belfast for 179 sterling. They checked it, noted that the "wet" indicators had changed colour, then checked the model number versus the model available in Ireland, whole exercise took less than 10 minutes, and we got to have a nice lunch in Belfast.

Thumbs up for Apple :)

Water proof case already ordered :)

Smurfjed

Advertisement