Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the schools in Ireland?

• 20-05-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What is the system like?

Also what is the attitude to the British, would British children be made an exception of?

Cheers for any pointers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

primary or secondary?
    most people would not bat an eyelid most of our schools have kids from all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 templar79

Hi, it would be Primary School

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are National schools which are usually mixed and catholic.though there are protestant ones too.
    Educate together schools which are mixed and multi denominational
    Religious schools - normally single sex and run by an order of nuns or priests.
    There are some school project schools but they are few and I know little about them.
    There are some primary montessori schools too but they would have fees.
    There are a handful of private primary schools as well.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/going_to_primary_school/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are also Irish speaking schools that may be Catholic or multi-denom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

templar79 wrote: »
    What is the system like?

Also what is the attitude to the British, would British children be made an exception of?

Cheers for any pointers.

Children spend a year longer in primary education in Ireland than they do in England.

6th class is the equivalent of Year 7 and is the last year in primary school. The first year in secondary school is, unsurprisingly, called 1st year and is the same as Year 8.

There are also no SATS, or LNF tests if you're coming from Wales.

Finally, there are no assemblies in the school during the week. At least I've never seen one. They may be in some schools. I think they're brilliant and I think schools should really look into incorporating them into their weekly timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In primary school there are compulsory standardised tests. Many schools do hold assemblies, but not on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

In primary school there are compulsory standardised tests.

Yes, forgot about them. Ignore that part of my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Finally, there are no assemblies in the school during the week. At least I've never seen one. They may be in some schools. I think they're brilliant and I think schools should really look into incorporating them into their weekly timetable.

My children's school (a gael scoil) has assembly every Friday. I agree that it's a brilliant idea. It serves to unify the school, and gives the children a communal feeling.

By the way, don't dismiss the option of a Gael Scoil just because you are not Irish. Children of all nationalities are welcome in Gaelscoileanna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

weekly assemblies in both my kids schools, and in my niece's school too. thought it was the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Kathnora

"Religious schools - normally single sex and run by an order of nuns or priests."

Not too many schools left in Ireland (especially primary) where there are priests or nuns on the teaching staff. The running of these schools has been handed over to lay principals a long time ago. The nuns are very much in the background and recently in one school when it came to the appointment of a new principal the nuns declined an offer to sit on the interview board. The ethos of such schools does remain Catholic but can't see that being taken very seriously when the current crop of principals who may be in their 50s retire....could be wrong there and am only judging from my own experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Also not many single sex schools left in Ireland. The vast majority are co-educational, though of course some remain single sex. Just in the town I'm teaching in at the moment, there are about 9 large schools, 8 of them are co-educational.

There are quite a number of single sex schools remaining, country wide. Rural schools tend to be mixed, as a very general rule.

Also not many single sex schools left in Ireland. The vast majority are co-educational, though of course some remain single sex. Just in the town I'm teaching in at the moment, there are about 9 large schools, 8 of them are co-educational.

unfortunately our local ns is an all girls presentation convent and the only school for miles with space.

Advertisement