Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Animated Series: Star Wars Rebels.

• 20-05-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

http://collider.com/star-wars-rebels-animated-series-disney-xd/

This was announced this morning, and apparently will take place in the time period between the end of the prequels and the beginning of the originals. I think The Clone Wars series has outstayed it's welcome so will be interesting to see the reaction to this as it is most likely the first step in a constant bombardment of Star Wars material over to next few years.

Always thought the third prequel should have covered this period, with Sith being the second movie, and combination of TPM and ATOTC being the first.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The development team are behind some very good films sad o I'd be interested to see this.

I gave up on clone wars years ago but I'd chance it to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ziedth wrote: »
    The development team are behind some very good films sad o I'd be interested to see this.

I gave up on clone wars years ago but I'd chance it to see.

If you skip the ones with the droids in it there's a fair few decent episodes right up until it got cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

Anyone else watch the first episode? And what did you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

corkie wrote: »

Thought it was pretty damn good, will keep watching for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

corkie wrote: »

I saw it. Was a pretty solid episode, really OT feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The second episode couldn't have been more of a generic kids action cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

The first episode drew heavily on the Episode IV movie to make it's connection I thought (but that wasn't a terrible idea), the second episode was definitely 'meh'....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What did they do with the
    TIE fighter
    in the end of episode three?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Another voice to add to the consensus - thought the first episode was great (could have done with a slightly longer back story for Ezra), second episode not so much. And I groaned when I saw
    R2 and C3PO, really shrinks the universe

Will give it another episode or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

If you'd like to experience each episode vicariously through me, I'm recapping them for the New York Daily News:

Shorts

Spark of Rebellion

Episode 2

Episode 1

Episode 3

I'm enjoying it so far, but the first and second normal-length episodes were a little generic. But the third episode was great! As for the fourth, you'll have to wait until Monday!

• Advertisement

I've got into this of late.

It's a decent show. The kiddy element isn't too bad - not as bad as the first couple of seasons of TCW at any rate.

SQUEEE!!!
    AHSOKA!!
    :D

Season 1 has finished. It turned into a nice little show by the end.

It spent a fair bit of time building characters and doing kid-friendly low effort episodes but the final arc of the last 3 or 4 episodes was really good.

Looking forward to season 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gbear wrote: »
    SQUEEE!!!
    AHSOKA!!
    :D

Season 1 has finished. It turned into a nice little show by the end.

It spent a fair bit of time building characters and doing kid-friendly low effort episodes but the final arc of the last 3 or 4 episodes was really good.

Looking forward to season 2 now.

Agree with that. I was watching for the same reason I've read a lot of bad eu books as It's still star wars in the end, but now I'm actual looking forward to season 2.

HOT ****ING DAMN!!!

Preview of season 2.
    Contains spoiler for season 1.

• Looks awesome!

Season 2 Episode 1 Now available!

About to watch it!

The new episode was class.

The score was particularly stellar.
    Asoka passing out was a bit hokey but other than that I thought they got everything spot on.
    I was worried how they were going to deal with Asoka and Vader's reveal to one another, but I'm happy to see that they didn't muck about with it. It wouldn't have made sense for there to be a mystery between them when it's been well established that master and padawan have a special bond.

It's going to be interesting to see what effect her not revealing who he was is going to have - when they first come face to face it could be seriously epic.

Vader was suitably terrifying and having read Lords of the Sith it was cool to see him flying with the same amount of panache on screen.

Pity the season proper doesn't start til autumn. This really has me excited for it.

Sweeeettt!

Interdictors, B-Wings, Ackbar?, Rex, Sabine is a Viszla, Bo Katan?

Yes please.

This show is a bit irritating in a way.

A 23 minute episode just isn't enough for me anymore.

Decent stuff to start with after the proper season opener, but because of the running time nothing really happened.

• Advertisement

This show is a bit irritating in a way.

A 23 minute episode just isn't enough for me anymore.

Decent stuff to start with after the proper season opener, but because of the running time nothing really happened.

Hmm.

6 episodes into season 2 now.

Can't say I've been terribly impressed on the whole.
    The first preview episode released during the summer really set a high level that's been pretty comprehensively missed by everything since.

While you can enjoy a show aimed at pre-teens so long as it's pretty good in general, at times it feels like the target audience of this is 4 year olds.

Episodes are too short for self-contained episodes, so things are rushed, the tone is a bit inconsistent, with decapitations one week and telegraphing what's going on to such a degree that you'd wonder are they not just aiming it at children, but also possibly dogs or other barely sentient life.

I can't imagine not consuming all available Star Wars media as it comes out, but I get so little from this show that there may well come a time where compulsive Star Wars fandom isn't enough.

So the last episode of the first half of the season finished on a fairly high note.

This is the teaser for the second half, starting from January 20th, I believe (this may contain some spoilers for the show - certain characters appear and events happen you might not want to have heard about. It doesn't actually spoil any major plot developments though):

This has me pretty pumped.
    Last season they did a lot of fluff first half before veering into more interesting territory. I hope that's what we're going to get this time around as well.
    If this teaser is anything to go by, we just might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*deep breath*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 2nd half of the season was absolute pants up until the finale, which was excellent.

Top stuff.
    There's enough to be getting on with for next season.

Except the helicopter lightsaber bull****. **** that noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Last season's trailers were the nuts as well but then there was about 3 good episodes.

That does look pretty sweet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Did I hear Tom Baker's voice in there too as the one who describes himself as being between the Dark & the Light Sides?

Update: Little bit of Google-Fu shows it is him in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

Was lucky enough to be in London for this, including screening of first two episodes, lots of potential there for this year, eventually it'll have to lead into Rogue One, and there was already mention of the greater rebellion, interesting to see if anyone makes an appearance in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Season 3 has started and can be found in the usual places :)

Advertisement