Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread in AH about Nigerians....

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

This thread was closed as the moderator claimed the figures were shoddy. The World Bank didnt pluck those figures from thin air. Indeed, the figure remained pretty stagnant as they produced similar figures in 2010. And 2011. And now 2012. No rebuttal issued.

The Guardian published the figures, twice. No rebuttal offered. In fact no serious economist has queried the figures.

Yet here we have a moderator closing down a thread as he claims that the figures produced by the World Bank and rehashed, twice, by The Guardian, are shoddy.

I pmed the mod in question about this and he spammed my inbox in response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This thread was closed as the moderator claimed the figures were shoddy. The World Bank didnt pluck those figures from thin air. .......

As has been pointed out to you inumerable times, yes, they did indeed pull them out of thin air. They are not based on actual remittances. The World Bank themselves admit this.

Nodin wrote: »
    As has been pointed out to you inumerable times, yes, they did indeed pull them out of thin air. They are not based on actual remittances. The World Bank themselves admit this.

No. They admit a get out clause by mentioning that their figures cannot be 100% guaranteed due to nature of remittances. The Nigerian remittance figures remained stagnant in 2010, 11 and 12. There is a margin of error there, of course. But not by 100s of millions worth of euro.

All the other inward and outward Irish based remittance figures look on the ball. Explain the supposed discrepancy in the Nigerian figures from the past three years?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This thread was closed as the moderator claimed the figures were shoddy. The World Bank didnt pluck those figures from thin air. Indeed, the figure remained pretty stagnant as they produced similar figures in 2010. And 2011. And now 2012. No rebuttal issued.
    No. They admit a get out clause by mentioning that their figures cannot be 100% guaranteed due to nature of remittances. The Nigerian remittance figures remained stagnant in 2010, 11 and 12. There is a margin of error there, of course. But not by 100s of millions worth of euro.

Hmm, maybe they used the same basis for the report in 2010, 11 and 12, so that's why the findings in 2010/11/12 are largely the same?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe they used the same basis for the report in 2010, 11 and 12, so that's why the findings in 2010/11/12 are largely the same?

A lot of maybes, aye? The official number of Poles in Ireland increased drastically after the 2011 census. Nearly doubled in fact. But their remittances dropped.

Explain that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A lot of maybes, aye?

Huh?

What do you mean?

If the data for 2012 is suspect, the exact same data for 2011/10 is flawed.

Using logic and basic common sense, the year is irrelevant.

There are no loads of maybe's.

You either get that or you don't, if you don't, well basic logic isn't your forte. If you've bad subject data, the year quoted makes no difference. 2010/11/12, it's still bad data.

In other words, 2010/11/12 are irrelevant. Saying "Santa exists", year after year, over and over, doesn't make it true.
    The official number of Poles in Ireland increased drastically after the 2011 census. Nearly doubled in fact.

I'd need to see your data.
    But their remittances dropped.

Explain that?

Btw, I ain't the mod who banned you!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The data is available. Just use google.

The data is freely available. I know you werent the lad that banned me. Im unbanned now but disallowed from producing the pms the lad that I did pm over this sent. He spammed me for an hour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The data is freely available. I know you werent the lad that banned me. Im unbanned now but disallowed from producing the pms the lad that I did pm over this sent. He spammed me for an hour.
    If something out-of-order was said to you in a PM, you can report it like you would a post. The report option for PMs is on the top right in the offending message.

Only the Admins can see reported PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I was the creator of this thread and received a thinly veiled legal threat over the whole discussion. I reported it but the user is still somehow posting. Also had a conversation with the mod that closed the thread saying I had a reply from a TD that I was going to post up and other relevant information yet it remains closed. I believed this mod caved to certain posters who spinned things in a sinister way.

Montroseee wrote: »
    I was the creator of this thread and received a thinly veiled legal threat over the whole discussion. I reported it but the user is still somehow posting. Also had a conversation with the mod that closed the thread saying I had a reply from a TD that I was going to post up and other relevant information yet it remains closed. I believed this mod caved to certain posters who spinned things in a sinister way.

Can you message me the response that you were given?

Cheers, man.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

Btw, I ain't the mod who banned you!

Dude, for what its worth, I posted previous years remittance figures in the thread we are now discussing here. Is here the place to continue the debate, or in that closed thread?

The original poster in that thread has a response from a TD with regards to the figures.

Could we perhaps reopen the thread and discuss it there?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is here the place to continue the debate...
    No.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No.

He asked me to produce figures. Grand so this is not the place to discuss the remittances. Fine. Where is?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

He asked me to produce figures. Grand so this is not the place to discuss the remittances. Fine. Where is?
    Dunno. Not here. It's not feedback about the site, which is the purpose of this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

K-9 is the AH mod. If he wants the figures he should reopen the thread for you to post there but I agree with Oscar in that it is not feedback so probably not appropriate to here. Neither of us are mods of this forum though.

Advertisement