Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amd Saphire 7950hd graphics card problem

Options
  • 20-05-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Can anyone help me, I am having trouble with my pc build, my pc is working fine up until I install the graphics card, I disable the on-board graphics in the device manager, set the primary in the bios to pci-e and shut down again. Install the card and upon restart the screen is covered in white lines vertically. I install the latest drivers and after a reboot the screen goes black after I log in. can anyone help? Is this a problem with the drivers or is the card damaged?

My moterboard is an Asus p8Z77-V LX2, Intel Ivy Bridge I7 3770k cpu, 16gb DDR3 1600Mhz of ram with a 1000w psu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Did you connect the 2 power connections on the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭reaper2323

BloodBath wrote: »
    Did you connect the 2 power connections on the graphics card?

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I have both 6 pin connectors connected with a separate cable for each from the psu, I read somewhere it should be separate cables to balance the load, the reason I am using a 1000w psu is I had a 750w to start with and I taught that the problem was power related so I got the 1000w. Now I find it was a waste of money haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

reaper2323 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your reply, yes I have both 6 pin connectors connected with a separate cable for each from the psu, I read somewhere it should be separate cables to balance the load, the reason I am using a 1000w psu is I had a 750w to start with and I taught that the problem was power related so I got the 1000w. Now I find it was a waste of money haha
    450 would have been enough probably :). As a matter of interest, what make/model power supply do you have?

Gumbi wrote: »
    450 would have been enough probably :). As a matter of interest, what make/model power supply do you have?

Yes I taught the 750 would be fine :-( the 1000w I'm using now is a cooler master 1000w psu, and I'm using seperate 6 pin cables for the two connectors on the card

Has anyone any other ideas? Or come across this issue before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is there another slot on the motherboard that you can try the card in? Was it working fine off on board graphics?

yes the onboard graphics work perfectly, Im using them now, there is a second pci-e slot, I have not tried it before because the manual said the first one was best used for the card. I will switch it over and see how that goes. thanks, fingers crossed lol

I switched the card to the other slot, the white lines were on the screen but as soon as I logged in the screen went black and stayed black. I am in safe mode now and the lines are green horizontally. I am in safe mode now installing the drivers hoping that will work

Ok that didn't work. After installing the drivers and reboot the screen was still white lined and after log in the screen went blue with no sound of complete log in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Sounds like a dodgey card. RMA time i reckon. Can you put it in another pc to check? Do you have another card to try on your pc?

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Sounds like a dodgey card. RMA time i reckon. Can you put it in another pc to check? Do you have another card to try on your pc?

I was afraid of that :-( no I don't have another card, I could ask a friend if I could try it in his pc at the weekend. Just have to make do with the on board graphics for now I guess haha thanks a million for your help :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Green lines sounds like a damaged card to me too. :(

BTW just about everytime someone has a problem with a GPU on here it's an AMD card. Do you guys think it's because most people go for AMD cards or because AMDs quality control is lower?

I think it's their quality control that's slacking. Now the joys of trying to get a replacement or refund :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

90% of the cards recommended in all builds here are amd cards.

Can't say I've ever had an issues with any of my cards except the super hot 4870x2 but that was only when it got clogged with dust.

Advertisement