Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax

• 20-05-2013 7:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

i say yes, motorcyclists have to pay motor tax and receive no benefits in terms of parking, bus lanes. but cyclists get cycle lanes and parking places without contributing

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax 412 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    29% 123 votes
    Other. Please Explain
    70% 289 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Here we go again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

stephen97 wrote: »
    i say yes, motorcyclists have to pay and receive no benefits in terms of parking, bus lanes. but cyclists get cycle lanes and parking places without contributing

Great original thread op. I predict calm, reasonable discourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Have you seen the cut of the cycle lanes? Dont forget about the pedestrian tax, what with all those footpaths and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

i say yes, motorcyclists have to pay

No, they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Happily for everyone concerned, road tax does not exist.

So no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well if you fitted an engine onto the bicycle they might have to pay Motor Tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

is this some new type of tax OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i say yes, motorcyclists have to pay and receive no benefits in terms of parking, bus lanes. but cyclists get cycle lanes and parking places without contributing

Erm, I pay motor tax for my car and motorcycle that is parked on the drive while I cycle or take the bus to work?
    Are you proposing to refund me for non use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Also, cyclists contribute very much in terms or reducing traffic congestion, noise and carbon pollution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yes they should. I also believe the unemployed should pay Income Tax and dogs should pay Capital Gains Tax on their kennels.

Can't be arsed voting op. fwiw, I do pay motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

If cyclists avoid road tax then motorists should be allowed kill them. deally by knocking them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'd like to see a system where everyone paid an amount directly related to the actual cost of maintaining the roads, with consideration for the number of kms driven and the wear and tear caused.

Personally, I think cyclists should need a license and insurance....everything a motorcycle should need. It strikes me as a big contradiction to treat bicycles like serious methods of transportation in one breath, but in the next say, 'Nahhhhh - it's cool....just ride em! Tis grand, give her a go!'

I also have trouble reconciling the fact that electric powered bicycles are limited to 15km per hour but anyone who is fit enough/going downhill is welcome to greatly exceed that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Yes they should. I also believe the unemployed should pay Income Tax and dogs should pay Capital Gains Tax on their kennels.

Awesome paradox

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

as due to the weight of a bicycle does not cause any ware to the roads. I say this as a motorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Considering that it benefits just about everyone (less traffic overall, having a critical mass of cyclists on the road makes it safer for all cyclists, better for the environment) if more people cycle to work, and considering that it's "Motor Tax" anyway - hell no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

So I guess if a cyclist farts while cycling that'll increase the amount of CO2 based tax he/she'll have to pay:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Last month I was a cyclist till my got knicked. Now I am a pedestrian. Tomorrow I may be a cyclist again. With such fluctuating usage of bikes how could you possibly police who is paying or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Bears should pay the bear tax! I pay the Homer tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

What say all cyclists charge a dyno that must be plugged into the national grid each evening.
    Should they not reach an allocated amount of energy over a given time, dole receivers would receive that bike and top up as needs be. Non-compliance would see the bike confiscated or the dole rescinded on either's behalf....

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

humbert wrote: »

I think we are going to need a bigger palm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Nobody else pays road tax so why should cyclists.
    Motorists pay motor tax however, so perhaps we should introduce a cycle tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'd like to see a system where everyone paid an amount directly related to the actual cost of maintaining the roads, with consideration for the number of kms driven and the wear and tear caused.

Personally, I think cyclists should need a license and insurance....everything a motorcycle should need. It strikes me as a big contradiction to treat bicycles like serious methods of transportation in one breath, but in the next say, 'Nahhhhh - it's cool....just ride em! Tis grand, give her a go!'

I also have trouble reconciling the fact that electric powered bicycles are limited to 15km per hour but anyone who is fit enough/going downhill is welcome to greatly exceed that speed.

I'd like to extend your idea and pay cyclists based on the benefits they provide to everyone else.

OP, most cyclists already pay motor tax on the cars they leave at home when they cycle. By cycling they not only use less road space than a car, they also produce less emissions than a motorbike or bus. They also don't kill people.

Next time a cyclists whizzes past you in traffic, say thanks.

Like VAT? On bikes and stuff? They should do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

keith16 wrote: »
    Also, cyclists contribute very much in terms or reducing traffic congestion, noise and carbon pollution.

Have there been any actual studies on this?

Noise - absolutely, I can accept that.

But I'm not sure about traffic congestion as I frequently see one cyclist slow down many cars. Most of my cycle route includes bus lanes and it's not at all uncommon for a single cyclist to delay a bus (which has the same number of people as 40? cars). Also, because of how the cycle paths are located, it creates sub-optimal driving patterns - a car turning left is now turning left across a bicycle path (as one example) - I know I've been in the wrong spot at the wrong time and caused cars to wait on me because I'm in their way.

Carbon pollution....is another one I question. I'll use myself as an example....I used to ride the bus, now I ride a bicycle. Producing the bicycle had to have some associated pollution...in fact, I'd be it was a lot of pollution. Different parts were made all over the world and shipped from one factor to another, then assembled into a bicycle, then shipped somewhere else; and so on and so forth. Then it sat in the backroom of the CycleSuper Store for some days/weeks/months until I came in, picked it out, had it packaged and shipped to my home, where I assembled the last bits and started riding.

Even though I commute every day; I have to imagine it will take a LOT of trips to and from work before there is a net-loss in pollution. Most of my co-workers with bicycles *also* have cars, and they only ride to the office occasionally. I really question if there cycling will ever offset the pollution in creating/shipping/obtaining/maintaining the bicycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In fairness, the OP's idea isn't as ridiculous as a television tax for televisionless people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Arpa wrote: »
    Last month I was a cyclist till my got knicked. Now I am a pedestrian. Tomorrow I may be a cyclist again. With such fluctuating usage of bikes how could you possibly police who is paying or not?

A bicycle licence?

I'd actually favour that. It so cyclists have to pay "road" tax but so they could have the rules of the road properly enforced against them. Most cyclists, like most drivers largely obey the rules and cycle safely but some quite frankly don't. If you're a driver of a vehicle and you're caught you are easily identified and there are relatively efficient and fool proof processes in place to make you answerable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

i was under the impression it's motor tax and not road tax.

• Advertisement

Does that mean that owners of secondhand bicycles have to pay a recycle tax! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement