Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cyclists Pay Road Tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

donvito99 wrote: »
    i was under the impression it's motor tax and not road tax.

Congratulations you're only about 30 posts late with that hilarious quip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Uriel. wrote: »
    Congratulations you're only about 30 posts late with that hilarious quip

Maybe if we say it another thirty times it'll sink in before somebody asks this next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

Considering that it benefits just about everyone (less traffic overall, having a critical mass of cyclists on the road makes it safer for all cyclists, better for the environment) if more people cycle to work, and considering that it's "Motor Tax" anyway - hell no.
    its universally known as road tax but called motor tax because of the the way it is charged depending on engine size,emissions ect, but this was not always the case, sections of revenue.ie still refer to it as road tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

hardCopy wrote: »
    Maybe if we say it another thirty times it'll sink in before somebody asks this next week.

I dunno the legal definition of 'motor' but I'd consider the cyclist the 'motor'. We are what power the vehicle, and couldn't do that without an energy source (food) and electricity.

It's not like bicycles just magically move themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

stephen97 wrote: »
    its universally known as road tax but called motor tax because of the the way it is charged depending on engine size,emissions ect, but this was not always the case, sections of revenue.ie still refer to it as road tax

It is officially named Road Tax.
    Thread just didn't turn out the way planned , did it OP:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

A lot of cyclists are under age and do not have significant assets or traceable identity like driving licences which can be used to leverage payment by seizure of goods of significant value ( a car) or taking away a qualifying document such as a licence by which the authorities can gain some control over the motoring public.

A similar problem exists with horse drawn vehicles or people powered carts although these are very rare on Irish roads.

Also very rare nowadays on our roads are animals being driven as used to happen often years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

stephen97 wrote: »
    i say yes, motorcyclists have to pay and receive no benefits in terms of parking, bus lanes. but cyclists get cycle lanes and parking places without contributing
    AFAIK motor tax isn't near enough to pay for the total cost of upkeep on the roads. Everyone pays something towards the upkeep of the roads. Motor vehicles are required to pay more through motor tax, but they also do more damage to the roads due to their heavy vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

After an exhaustive search OP, I managed to turn up one or two threads that might be of interest to you. Maybe if you trawl through them you might find an angle that hasn't been done to death?

Enjoy...

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=cyclists%20tax

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

endacl wrote: »
    After an exhaustive search OP, I managed to turn up one or two threads that might be of interest to you. Maybe if you trawl through them you might find an angle that hasn't been done to death?

Enjoy...

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=cyclists%20tax

Just bump the first one OP....no point in dragging up any of the older ones.

Cyclists should have to pay all kinds of tax, especially a we'll hold up buses by cycling in the middle of the bus land because we are w*nkers tax,and we don't understand how traffic lights work tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I do think that cyclists should have to have some kind of Insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

What the fúck is road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Cyclists should have to pay all kinds of tax, especially a we'll hold up buses by cycling in the middle of the bus land because we are w*nkers tax,and we don't understand how traffic lights work tax.
    Perhaps if the traffic planners had designed proper cycle lanes instead of sticking them in a bus lane as an afterthought we wouldn't have this problem.

I'd much rather a separate cycle lane, scrap the bus lane and give the extra space to other motorists.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Damn right. Some of them are downright menaces!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If deaths and injuries caused by cyclists ever become an issue then we can revisit this. For now it's a no from me.

I think if you want to use a push bike there should be a mandatory chipping system where all push bike users can be identified and as to who owns the said push bike, and also the cost of the bike chip should fall on the owners to help with the maintenance of the push bike lanes.
    Actually not a terrible idea, but not for the stated purpose. Could help with returning recovered stolen bikes to the owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

UCDVet wrote: »
    Have there been any actual studies on this?

Noise - absolutely, I can accept that.

But I'm not sure about traffic congestion as I frequently see one cyclist slow down many cars. Most of my cycle route includes bus lanes and it's not at all uncommon for a single cyclist to delay a bus (which has the same number of people as 40? cars). Also, because of how the cycle paths are located, it creates sub-optimal driving patterns - a car turning left is now turning left across a bicycle path (as one example) - I know I've been in the wrong spot at the wrong time and caused cars to wait on me because I'm in their way.

I agree that cyclists can slow a bus down but buses are stopping every 5 mins anyway (for about 5 mins with every feicer getting on needing a chat with the driver to facilitate the transaction).

In a car, generally I am passing cyclists without difficulty and if it is a bit of a squeeze I'm never stuck behind them for long.
    Carbon pollution....is another one I question. I'll use myself as an example....I used to ride the bus, now I ride a bicycle. Producing the bicycle had to have some associated pollution...in fact, I'd be it was a lot of pollution. Different parts were made all over the world and shipped from one factor to another, then assembled into a bicycle, then shipped somewhere else; and so on and so forth. Then it sat in the backroom of the CycleSuper Store for some days/weeks/months until I came in, picked it out, had it packaged and shipped to my home, where I assembled the last bits and started riding.

Same deal for a car / bus / pair of shoes!
    Even though I commute every day; I have to imagine it will take a LOT of trips to and from work before there is a net-loss in pollution. Most of my co-workers with bicycles *also* have cars, and they only ride to the office occasionally. I really question if there cycling will ever offset the pollution in creating/shipping/obtaining/maintaining the bicycle.

Not sure if there has been studies done and I, like you, am only going by personal experience. But I have noticed a huge increase the the number of cyclists in Dublin over the last few years. There are an incredible amount of them on the road and if everyone of them was replaced with a car, I don't think the city would move at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just bump the first one OP....no point in dragging up any of the older ones.

You mean the shared bus and cycle lane?

Why shouldn't cyclists use the middle of the lane?

If you can't pass a cyclist because he is in the middle of the lane, then you cannot safely pass the cyclist while staying in the lane at all, it's that ****ing simple. You are required to give cyclists 1.5meters of space when overtaking them. There is no way in the world a bus can safely overtake a cyclist in a shared lane without exiting the lane and re-entering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yes.. pests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Maybe something small like €5 a year to cycle during rush hour in city's and issue registrations plates to bikes cycling during these hours and streets to report dangerous cycling such as red light breaking.

I think if you want to use a push bike there should be a mandatory chipping system where all push bike users can be identified and as to who owns the said push bike, and also the cost of the bike chip should fall on the owners to help with the maintenance of the push bike lanes.

When the government of this country actually supplies a proper network and system of cycle lanes instead of the joke of a system currently in place, then I'll listen to your argument.

• Advertisement

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Maybe something small like €5 a year to cycle during rush hour in city's and issue registrations plates to bikes cycling during these hours and streets to report dangerous cycling such as red light breaking.

What would be easier and cheaper for the state would be to just properly police the current laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If your push bike and you can be identifed it would stop most of the Lawlessness.
    The majority of motorists admit to speeding. Even though they all have number plates and the police regularly sit around trying to catch them as well as setting up speeding cameras.

Why do you think cyclists would be any different?

The government need money to help do this so i think you should help by paying your way.
    The vast majority of regular posters to the cycling forum, as an example, do pay their way. By paying motor tax for their cars.

The government need money to help do this so i think you should help by paying your way.

When the motor tax you pay actually generates enough money to cover the cost of repairing the damage that your car does to the road, then you will have a leg to stand on with that argument.

I do pay my way, I pay tax on my income, I pay vat on all goods I buy, I pay levies on other services I am provided by the state. We all pay our way, some of us (motorists) are actually costing more than we pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

That is nearly as stupid as the op.
    Well done stupido!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

AH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seaneh wrote: »
    You mean the shared bus and cycle lane?

Why shouldn't cyclists use the middle of the lane?

If you can't pass a cyclist because he is in the middle of the lane, then you cannot safely pass the cyclist while staying in the lane at all, it's that ****ing simple. You are required to give cyclists 1.5meters of space when overtaking them. There is no way in the world a bus can safely overtake a cyclist in a shared lane without exiting the lane and re-entering it.

Did I say shared bus and cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

The government want about five times as many people cycling as there currently are so I think that they're willing to improve cycling facilities without penalising cyclists.

Another idiot!

Did I say shared bus and cycle lane?

They are practically all shared bus and cycle lanes, genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

As in all these threads this needs to be postedy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement