Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madrid confirm Mourinho exit

• 20-05-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Real Madrid announce it at this evenings press conference.

So the special one is gone at the end of the season.

Looks to be on route back to the PL now with Chelsea.

Should make an interesting summer with the change in management in the top 3.

Looking forward to it myself :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Not in the Premiership. Not going to Liverpool or United.

Rules out 95% of the readership interest here.

1/25 to be back at Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Next United manager?....good mates with Fergie, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

rarnes1 wrote: »
    1/25 to be back at Chelsea

If I were Chelsea I would hang onto Rafa.

But that looks like not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Exactly what the Premier League needed. It's been a mediocre season, with a declining standard of quality. Mourinho, with his character , his ability and a big budget, should lift the standard both on and off the pitch.

Great news for Chelsea. There is a squad in place which, with a couple of additions and the right manager (and Mourinho is the right manager) could win the league next season and perhaps even might begin an era of dominance in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

2uhmmfb.png

Happy birthday Iker! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Great news for Chelsea. There is a squad in place which, with a couple of additions and the right manager (and Mourinho is the right manager) could win the league next season and perhaps even might begin an era of dominance in the league.

I tend to agree with you, upheaval at Utd and City but Chelsea getting a proven Premier League winning manager and prob a fair few quid to spend. Could be their title again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Soldie wrote: »

Happy birthday Iker! :pac:

It'd be gas if Ancelotti came in and kept Diego Lopez as number one.

Casillas thought he was bigger than the manager and Mourinho put him in his place. It can't be healthy having a player in the dressing room that thinks he has that much power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Blatter wrote: »
    It'd be gas if Ancelotti came in and kept Diego Lopez as number one.

Casillas thought he was bigger than the manager and Mourinho put him in his place. It can't be healthy having a player in the dressing room that thinks he has that much power.

There's more than just one, in fairness.

Havermeyer wrote: »
    There's more than just one, in fairness.

I agree, didn't mean to insinuate that he's the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Didn't PSG block Ancelotti's move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Next United manager?....good mates with Fergie, etc.

are you living in a bubble, utd already have a manager for next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

quarryman wrote: »
    Not in the Premiership. Not going to Liverpool or United.

Rules out 95% of the readership interest here.

I think the soccer forum deserves more credit than that.

One of the worlds leading managers leaves one of the worlds most important club and you reckong 95% of the soccer forum will have no interest?:pac:

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Didn't PSG block Ancelotti's move?

Currently that's the case, but who honestly believes he won't be at Real Madrid next season?

It's difficult to keep a player at a club that doesn't want to be there, it's suicidal to keep a manager that wants out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

irishgeo wrote: »
    are you living in a bubble, utd already have a manager for next season?

He's trying to be smart & failed miserably.

Be gas if Rafa got the Chelsea job and Jose went to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Fergie might be up for one last challenge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Owen_S wrote: »
    Fergie might be up for one last challenge :pac:

Nah, they want someone a little more proven in the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

He's going to City ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

If/when Mourinho does go back to Chelsea, who do you reckon his outgoing transfers will be? Particularly in the starting 11, do you think anyone would be moving on?

Do you think he'll plunder anyone from Madrid with him?

Thecon21 wrote: »
    If/when Mourinho does go back to Chelsea.

Do you think he'll plunder anyone from Madrid with him?

Depends on who he hasn't fallen out with.

• Advertisement

BKi9HS4CUAAI6xG.jpg

zerks wrote: »

True, I'd say your right, he wouldn't really have anyone to choose from. The majority of the squad won't bat an eyelid that he's gone I reckon. They'll be awaiting their next victim to try and use their powers over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Ronaldo would be very interesting

They'll be awaiting their next victim to try and use their powers over..

Not much different from some of the players at Chelsea.

Ronaldo won't go to Chelsea,he loves United too much plus he also fell out with Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mourinho has been a joke of a manager at Madrid. He's said all the wrong things, isolated players, wanted to be the big fish in the biggest pond and he's failed miserably. It's okay at Chelsea and Inter Milan to carry on like that but you can't do it at Real Madrid.

amber69 wrote: »
    Ronaldo would be very interesting

I'll bet anyone any money that Ronaldo won't be joining Chelsea. Not now, not ever. People are forgotting the good job Rafa has done with Chelsea this year. They're a side that could do with a good few improvements.

Man City were very flat this year and they still finished behind them. Chelsea always seem to be one of these teams that are accompanied by serious hype every year. It's not something I understand. Outside of Mata, Cole and Cech I see a lot of inconsistent players. Hazard and particularly Oscar look like they are going to be good players but outside of that I just don't quite see the "excellent" Chelsea people are constantly talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Would be interesting to see Mourinho actually challenge himself at a club like Everton or Villa rather than going to a club that will probably spend nigh on £100 million on transfers.

Would be interesting to see Mourinho actually challenge himself at a club like Everton or Villa rather than going to a club that will probably spend nigh on £100 million on transfers.

That's just ridiculous. Why should he? Mourinho has earned his place at the top table of club football, he has earned the right to be considered among the best managers in the world and be thought of very highly by the top clubs in world football. He has paid his dues at Benfica and União de Leiria. He got the chance to manage Porto and he won the Uefa Cup and Champions League, incredible achievements at that club and since then he has proven himself to be able to live up to the expectations of the biggest clubs. Why should he manage a mid table club with little resources and which can't match the salary of a Chelsea or Madrid? In what other business would anyone opt for a small company with little resources and little ambition over a big company who would love to have you, offering you the resources to achieve huge ambitions and a massive salary, oh and you have emotional ties to this huge company too. Really sit down for a minute and have a think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's just ridiculous. Why should he? Mourinho has earned his place at the top table of club football, he has earned the right to be considered among the best managers in the world and be thought of very highly by the top clubs in world football. He has paid his dues at Benfica and União de Leiria. He got the chance to manage Porto and he won the Uefa Cup and Champions League, incredible achievements at that club and since then he has proven himself to be able to live up to the expectations of the biggest clubs. Why should he manage a mid table club with little resources and which can't match the salary of a Chelsea or Madrid? In what other business would anyone opt for a small company with little resources and little ambition over a big company who would love to have you, offering you the resources to achieve huge ambitions and a massive salary, oh and you have emotional ties to this huge company too. Really sit down for a minute and have a think about it.

I agree with you. It's something I would love to see however.

• Advertisement

I agree with you. It's something I would love to see however.

I know and you could say it about any top manager at present that it would be interesting to see how they deal with a mid table club. Thing is though, for the vast majority of them, they have dealt with mid table clubs, it's that success with smaller clubs that has led them to the big jobs. There's a chance in 20 years time people will be saying "I'd love to see how Roberto Martinez or Brendan Rodgers would do at a mid table club "

When really we've seen how they've done at Wigan and Swansea and Liverpool (:P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

keith16 wrote: »
    I think the soccer forum deserves more credit than that.

One of the worlds leading managers leaves one of the worlds most important club and you reckong 95% of the soccer forum will have no interest?:pac:

Have you seen this place when neither of those teams are playing? I remember the Champion's League final last year and the match thread was dead right up to the start of the game.

Back on topic. I can't wait to see Mourinho back in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I really hope he comes back to the Premiership, and more specifically, back to Chelsea. :D

There are only two other clubs out there at the moment that could scupper his return to the Bridge; PSG and Man City. They'd have the money to tempt him and are the two real threats to his return to Stamford Bridge. There's also the possibility that he'd love to give the two fingers to Roman Abramovich and go up to the blue side of Manchester or even to Paris.

Who knows? It will be all up in the air for the next little while until pen is put to paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Free space now at the Bernabeu for Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

We're gonna need a Mod with a mop to clean up the irony dripping off this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Chelsea are a club who since ancelotti left, have been more or less constantly in transition. Things are going well now though, there's progress. So why break one of life's golden rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

The special one :rolleyes:

Can't wait to stuff him at Anfield again. A winner he may be but he's a grade A cnut.

You make it sound like Liverpool had total dominance over Chelsea :confused:

Bar the Champions league,Chelsea done the double over Liverpool in Mourinho's full two seasons there particularly "stuffing" them in the 05-06 season with a 4-1 win in Anfield plus a carling cup final win over Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lovely stuff. The sooner he's back in the Premier League, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Chelsea are a club who since ancelotti left, have been more or less constantly in transition. Things are going well now though, there's progress. So why break one of life's golden rules?

Too much money to throw at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The man I love to hate.

A great character to have back in the Premier League.

The league certainly missed him and was a poorer place when he was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mourinho has been a joke of a manager at Madrid. He's said all the wrong things, isolated players, wanted to be the big fish in the biggest pond and he's failed miserably. It's okay at Chelsea and Inter Milan to carry on like that but you can't do it at Real Madrid.

Mourinho will return to greatness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I love how you can fail miserably in 3 seasons by getting to 3 UCL semi finals, win the league and finish 2nd twice.

Fail miserably is a tad bit of an over reaction IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That his time at Madrid will be seen as a failure is a testament to Mourinho's greatness. He has set the highest standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That his time at Madrid will be seen as a failure is a testament to Mourinho's greatness. He has set the highest standards.

True, although when you think about the managers they've sacked throughout the years on the back of greater success it doesnt come as much surprise really.

Ironic coming from a Chelsea fan I know. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

More like that his time at Madrid is seen as a failure is a testament to Real Madrids high standards which they have fallen short of in recent times. He was brought in to win the CL. He failed at doing that. He had an almost unlimited budget, yet won only 2 trophies in 3 years (3 if you include the super cup). he conceded a league at Christmas time, despite their main opposition having a new manager in his first job. He was unable to motivate his side to step on from a very successful 2011/2012 season, despite it being probably the best squad in Europe.

Will history show him as a failure? Maybe not.

Will history show him as a success? Absolutely not.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I love how you can fail miserably in 3 seasons by getting to 3 UCL semi finals, win the league and finish 2nd twice.

Fail miserably is a tad bit of an over reaction IMO.

It's been fairly adamant that the Real Madrid fans are getting sick of Barca's success in the Champions League. Perez brought him in to win the Champions League and he couldn't do that. Instead of carrying on like a charismatic intellect like the English press portray him as he behaved himself very badly. Instead of taking the blame for poor performances he dropped key players. Unlike Pellegrini, Mourinho had a say in who he bought. He wanted full control and that's what he got until Real Madrid saw the egotistical maniac Mourinho.

There is no doubt that he's a great manager but managing Real Madrid is a step not even "the greatest modern manager in the world" could take. In his time he's caused key rows with the most influential players. Towards the end of his time in Madrid he would only do 5 minute press conferences often picking rows with journalists who'd printed stories from within the dressing room. He's fought with everyone. Casillas, Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos, Ozil, Khedira, Pepe all fell out with him and the madness started when he won the power struggle with Valdano.

From turning Real Madrid from title winners to circus act is failure. He's turned the club to being fully united but they are fully united against him. Often referred to as 'cracked' or as a 'scourge' by the Spanish media Mourinho has just about managed to alienate everybody in his wake. I think it's adequate and fair to suggest that Mourinho wanted to be the big fish in the biggest pond of them all and he couldn't handle the pressure. From poking Tito in the eye to the rumblings of a mad man he's made an embarrassment of himself. As one Spanish paper have put it: "Post-note to the Stage - Mourinho at Madrid"

As people are saying, Madrid is one of the 'biggest ponds' to head into, if we could roll back the years a bit and Fergie was appointed as manager, how do you think he would get on in that job?

As people are saying, Madrid is one of the 'biggest ponds' to head into, if we could roll back the years a bit and Fergie was appointed as manager, how do you think he would get on in that job?

Wouldn't sell them a virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Probably have won a league or 2 before being sacked. The Madrid job is the most poisoned of chalices, sacking managers from not achieving total success. Look who they have sacked in the last 15 years and you will see that they are a basket case.

Advertisement