Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st thinnings of Ash. How is it done?

• 20-05-2013 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hello, I might need to do this in a few months but I'm not entirely sure how it's done.
    As far as I know you remove the poor looking trees and leave the good ones. Yes? What % should be taken out in first thinnings. Is 1 in every 7 row taken out too?
    Any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/docs/research/Teagasc_silvicultural_guidelines_Broadleaves.pdf

Have a read.

All you need is there.

First you need to mark Potential Final Crop trees. Straight, vigourous disease free.
    Then walk through and remove the tree(s) immediately adjacent to increase light, nutrients to PFC's.

Two tins of road spray paint is ideal. One for PFC one for trees to be removed.

Also remove diseased trees, canker is common in some plantations. A stitch in time and all that.

From memory you will need to remove probably 30% of stems maybe a little more.

Nice wood to work in.

Enjoy.

Read linked article, I'm just a farmer with some experience. Free advice and all that.

Also felling licence needed(easy to get). Grant also available I think(i got it anyhow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Also the option of getting a forester in who will get a contractor in that will do it all for you.
    to be honest theres no need to mark the trees.
    Depending how you plan on thinning it you might not need to take out every 7th line, if you have the equipment to take out timber without taking out a line of trees then why take out timber from your final stand?
    If you have some sort of equipment then hell every 9th line will do.
    Depending on what you plan on doing it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Thanks for the information, it's been very helpful.
    I tried to get a felling licence a few years back in the Garda station and they hadn't a clue what I was on about. I think it dates back to 1946! It's happened to a few other people I know too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

radiata wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, it's been very helpful.
    I tried to get a felling licence a few years back in the Garda station and they hadn't a clue what I was on about. I think it dates back to 1946! It's happened to a few other people I know too

Google is your friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

For thinning its a General felling licence you require and good news is you don't have to go near the Gardai to get them.

The application form is on the Dept. of Agricultures website.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/felling/FA4GFLApplForm170513.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

1 in 7 and selection I have excel sheet some where that will work out stems/hectare

Advertisement