Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beds and mattresses

Options
  • 20-05-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have been looking for a bed and mattress and saw a lot of cheap offers for new beds on Donedeal. The low cost suprises me when compared to standard shops. I remember when i was living in the USA there were scams in which the so-called "new beds" were actually made with used ones that were just re-upholstered. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the possibility of that happening with those Dublin companies. This is by no means an accusation I am just trying to make an informed decision.
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

No idea about your question, but Bargaintown do good prices for new beds and mattresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

when you see decent beds in Harvey Norman for less than €400 and some in Ikea for little more than €150, you should be able to guage pricing /value. The bed frame itself is little more than a few pieces of wood. A few weeks ago IKEA were clearing one bed for €56 and its a fine decent bed too (used in holiday home)

Its the mattress that is the most important and most expensive - that's where you need to be ultral careful. There are so called "orthopedic" matresses available for €100 that will be rubbish.

My own rule of thumb is for a holiday home / rental / spare room pay region €200. For a bed that will be slept in every night, be prepared to pay €500+. At the top end, a decent mattress will cost €1000+, but will give you years and years of comfortable sleep.

So, buy the bed anywhere you like, but unless it for a rental, try the matresses out in an actual store.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Have a look at the thread on here for "Big Micky" in Longford - some super deals & fantastic customer support.

I have no connection - just a very happy customer

Tanka

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JENNIFER_SUSAN

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have been looking for a bed and bamboo mattress and saw a lot of cheap offers for new beds on Donedeal. The low cost suprises me when compared to standard shops. I remember when i was living in the USA there were scams in which the so-called "new beds" were actually made with used ones that were just re-upholstered. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the possibility of that happening with those Dublin companies. This is by no means an accusation I am just trying to make an informed decision.
    thank you

You should consider on "brand" too. You will get higher mental satisfaction, getting branded product.

Advertisement