Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with walking

• 20-05-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi , I have a 13 week old Akita pup. He is the most lovely puppy, full of personality and very affectionate with us.
    Problem is, he doesn,t like to walk on the lead on his own, but will walk with my wifes parents dog no problem( They live next door)
    They have a Corgie and we have left the pup socalise with him since we got him at 8 weeks.
    When i try to bring the Akita on his own, he just sits and doesn,t want to budge :rolleyes: I,ve tried coaxing him with some treats, but it,s getting harder to get him to go to the end of the road even.. any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Other than this, he is brilliant.. toilet trained already, wicked cute :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

What treats do you give him.?
    Some stuff you can buy in shops are Sh1t.

I would find out what food he really likes and bring that in small bites......chicken/sausage.

The thing is there are a lot smells out there that can scare your dog so take your time and let it smell near home and work on longer walks.

At that age 15 minutes is a good walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Frankfurters. My housemate uses them and the akitas go mental for them. The thing about akitas is to take your time and be patient with them, they are bloody stubborn and will not do something if they don't want to. You need to give them a reason for doing something, then they'll do it happily

Also you might look odd doing this but some dogs that wont walk well run.
    So once you are out the gate run and the dog might too.
    When you stop just up the road and turn around the dog knows where home is and will walk home.

I have read of people carrying the dog for a while and walking home but still may look like you are mad.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I wouldn't carry him because you don't want a dog who's going to be 100lbs+ getting too accustomed to being carried. Like Dodd said though, try running. And talk in an excited, high-pitched voice. Make the whole thing sound fun and give lots of praise when he moves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭skaface

Thanks for all your advice!!
    I was bringing some of his nuts that i feed him on as a treat..( but they are dry, i add water when i feed him,so their is not the same smell off the dry ones maybe)
    He does actually go mental if he smells chicken, so i might try that
    or maybe the frankfurters even:)
    I know the Akitas can be stubborn, but this fella is so cute, he,s unreal
    That,s why i don,t want to force him with the walking in case i turn him off it.
    Thanks again for all your help

• Advertisement

The thing is his food is something he will get at home anyway so why work for it.

A threat should be just that, a threat for when he does well and does not go in the bowel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

My terrier girl, although not a young pup when I got her, would not walk on the lead at first. I don't think she had ever been on a lead and she was scared stiff of everything as well.
    Like what others suggested, use really tasty treats. Ham worked really well with my girl...if chicken is what gets your pup going, then try that. I would lead her around the house and the back garden, waving the ham in front of her and giving her lots of praise. It took about two weeks of that to get her out the front door. She was doing really well in the garden one day, with no resistance to the lead so I took her out front and we haven't looked back since.

Hi again, just to give an update.. i cut up a sausage into loads of little pieces
    today. I put the lead on him out in our back, coaxed him along over and back a
    few times, praising him when he walked, and giving him his sausage treat.
    He went mental for it. I then got my 16 year old son to try bringing him for a proper walk with the sausage treats and he walked no problem with a bit of praise and encouragement along the way.. Result:):)
    Thanks again everyone for your advice.

skaface wrote: »
    Hi again, just to give an update.. i cut up a sausage into loads of little pieces
    today. I put the lead on him out in our back, coaxed him along over and back a
    few times, praising him when he walked, and giving him his sausage treat.
    He went mental for it. I then got my 16 year old son to try bringing him for a proper walk with the sausage treats and he walked no problem with a bit of praise and encouragement along the way.. Result:):)
    Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Thank you for your feedback to let us know how it want or I would sometimes think.......did it work.......It did for me.True.

I'm glad it worked so fast for you.:)

Sad that someone gave you a dog that's 8 weeks old...but best of luck with it, he sounds like a great pet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sad that someone gave you a dog that's 8 weeks old...but best of luck with it, he sounds like a great pet !

Nothing wrong with that at all. 8 weeks is the norm for rehoming to their new owners. Esp with larger breeds, 8 weeks is fine. I wouldnt let pups go any younger and if they are small breeds its best to wait a little longer, 10 weeks maybe.

He,s 13 weeks now, was 8 weeks old when i got him.. was wicked cute at that age, didn,t really want a pup much older than that.(maybe i,m wrong to assume this)
    I don,t know, what age would you be supposed to get a puppy at?
    I suppose it,s different for some breeds i would imagine.. my fella was sturdy out when we got him.

andreac wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that at all. 8 weeks is the norm for rehoming to their new owners. Esp with larger breeds, 8 weeks is fine. I wouldnt let pups go any younger and if they are small breeds its best to wait a little longer, 10 weeks maybe.

Yeah you're right actually, I forgot what breed we were dealing with here.

Advertisement