Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi frozen mash alternative

Options
  • 20-05-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I love the frozen mash from Aldi, but the last two weeks my local hasn't had any, I even asked a member of staff, the price ticket is gone and all. Does anyone know if any of the other supermarkets do an alternative, I tired my local tesco and they didn't have any. Do Lidl do them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco.ie shows it for me. If you log in the search is usually showing what is in your local store, where it would be delivered (mine is ballybrack). Smaller stores obviously have less selection, you might have a bigger one a bit further away. But also locations in tesco can be all over the place, especially stuff like frozen mashed potato which does not have a blatantly obvious location, so you could get some eejit stocking it with the cornettos!
    Tesco Fluffy Mashed Potato 650G

Rest of All Potato products shelf
    €1.09 (€1.68/kg)
    Add to basket

Quantity

Aunt Bessie's Mashed Potato 650G

Rest of All Potato products shelf Cheaper alternatives to Aunt Bessie's Mashed Potato 650G!
    €2.81 (€4.33/kg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I love the frozen mash from Aldi, but the last two weeks my local hasn't had any, I even asked a member of staff, the price ticket is gone and all. Does anyone know if any of the other supermarkets do an alternative, I tired my local tesco and they didn't have any. Do Lidl do them?

thought it was just me - been looking everywhere for it. a very annoying trait that ALDI have - discontinuing products all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

thought it was just me - been looking everywhere for it. a very annoying trait that ALDI have - discontinuing products all the time.
    Lidl do it too, they seem to suddenly drop lines they've been carrying for ages with no explanation, like one the other day ... egg noodles. Occasionally they'll pop up again, months later, but usually under a different brand.

I've talked to the manager about it, and he thought it was a PITA too, but says he can do nothing about it apart from reporting the customers' dissatisfaction back to HQ. He can only order stuff that appears on the list of available lines supplied to him by HQ, and if something drops off that list (usually without any warning or explanation) he can't order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've seen a few chilled mashed potato products on tesco if that's any help. They're usually with the soups and ready-meals.

I'll check out the tesco one - what i liked about the ALDI one is that it was basically just spuds, milk, butter and salt/pepper - there were no additives or E numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ingredients for the tesco one: Potato,Milk (14%) ,Butter (3%) ,Salt ,White Pepper

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262586141

Country Crest do a From the Farm Traditional Mash as well, it's not on the tesco website so I must have seen it somewhere else.

These are both from the fridge rather than frozen so may not keep too long at home, but you could just freeze them yourself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

good to know - thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunno if mash would freeze well if you made it yourself, could do 1 big batch and freeze, which is far less hassle than doing it each time (which is what puts me off making mash just for myself)

Tesco frozen.
    Potato (88%),Water ,Concentrated Butter (2%) ,Dried Whole Milk ,Salt ,Flavouring ,Pepper Extrac

Aunt Bessie frozen
    Potato (86%),Milk (11%) ,Butter (2%) ,Salt ,Peppe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thanks all ill log in to tesco and see which is the nearest store that have it. Ill be stocking up as its so handy to have in the freezer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This happened a few years ago with the frozen mash in Aldi, it is not been axed it has just been put out of season for a month or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This happened a few years ago with the frozen mash in Aldi, it is not been axed it has just been put out of season for a month or 2.

Well that's good news atleast but I still need to get it. The thoughts of boiling shpuds gives me the shivers after being so spoiled for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Aldi now stock fresh Mash although I have not tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People buy...frozen...mashed...potatoes?
    Have you no shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I know I know, its just I can't stand all the hassle of preparing the spuds etc... shame I agree:)

Advertisement