Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tornado strikes Oklahoma

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some people don't even have rubble left where their houses were, everything just gone entirely. Hard to imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Harps wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've read that the one last October was comparable to an F2, it ripped up trees and caused some structural damage but luckily didn't hit a populated area. The one in Bray was luckily over the sea but again if it happened to come ashore it could well have caused damage.

The thing that happened in Crumlin? No way that was an F2. It was barely an F1, if even that. I used to live in Tennessee. I've seen up close, the damage that F2 tornadoes can cause. What happened in Crumlin doesn't even come close. When some people hear the word tornado, they automatically start conjuring up images of scary stuff that you see on the telly. But what they don't realize is that to be classified as one, you only need winds of 40mph. That's not a lot really, not compared to the freakish wind speeds that the folks in Tornado Alley have to put up with.

Bray was just a water spout. You can't have a tornado over open water. They are no fun if you encounter one when you are out at sea in a boat, but they generally break up as soon as they hit land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lirange wrote: »
    We must have very differing views on what "quite significant" means.

Tornado Alley earned it's name for a reason. It's a climactic breeding ground for extreme weather and very strong tornadoes. Nothing of the like is seen here. Joplin, Missouri is a city with a similar population to Moore and a large swathe of it was obliterated by an even stronger EF5 two years ago, killing 158 people. Just over the border from Kansas it's also in Tornado Alley.

Comparable to what you'd expect in this country the two in Dublin were fairly significant, obviously I'm not comparing them to what they get in the US, my point was simply that you're probably just as likely to see one in this country as over there. The chances of being hit are so slim that it wouldn't be worth the expense of making every house tornado proof.

Anyway I see news reports are now saying only 24 dead so not sure what happened there, where did the 91 deaths report come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Majority of the dead are children :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

RTE reported earlier that '24 bodies have been recovered'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

RTE saying the death count is revised from 90-odd down to 20-odd :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Apparently some deaths were recorded twice.

I hope more are found safe.

Why do people live there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

hoodwinked wrote: »
    can anybody who knows the place better than i do explain because looking at the images of the debris there is wood everywhere,

if they are used to getting tornados here why do they still build their houses with wood rather than concrete?

i know its the norm in the US to build wooden houses over concrete, but in areas like this why don't they? is it a cost thing? surely in tornado prone areas they could give grants for concrete built homes?

would it have made a difference here anyway?

so sad to hear of the school children, the poor parents who would have thought their children were safer there... :(

Even stone buildings won't survive a direct hit from a 200mph EF4/5 tornado. Also, wood is far more flexible, which is actually more beneficial in cases of high wind.
    And, if a building does collapse on you, do you want it to be timber or concrete blocks falling on you?
    There's also the cost factor. It's much cheaper and easier to repair damaged wooden buildings or to rebuild them.

As for underground bunkers...they can be dangerous. Watermains burst from the damage and can flood basements/bunkers resulting in drowning. Many of the children that died in the school died from drowning.

EDIT: Doh...should have read the rest of the thread before replying. syklops gave similar answer already. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Texas is now under tornado watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Tornado watches aren't uncommon at this time of year. Truthfully, that is part of the issue. You grow immune to them because they are so frequent. I admit that I would be one of those dumb people who would be caught sitting on my porch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Yep while living in Kansas and watching television on the local/state channels every so often there would be a loud beeping and the screen would change giving weather warnings etc. You grew immune to it after a while.

My thought on it was a single room in each house made with reinforced concrete would be the job. Obviously some people would be stuck in them, but some supplies would solve that. Plus they would be above ground so no fear of drowning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tornado watches aren't uncommon at this time of year. Truthfully, that is part of the issue. You grow immune to them because they are so frequent. I admit that I would be one of those dumb people who would be caught sitting on my porch.

Me too. When I lived in Tennessee, Tornado Watches were a bi weekly occurrence at this time of year. After a year or two, I got so used to them I just ignored them. I only started paying attention if a Tornado Warning was declared. And even then, if my own handy, dandy, 110% infallible, inbuilt, early warning system, didn't also start going haywire, well.... I ignored them too. I'm a moron, I know. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Why do people live there?

Home. Family. Roots. Friends.

Also, I'd say the chances, statistically, of having your home wrecked or being killed are quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

I'm still baffled as to why people in that area do not have concrete tornado proof bunkers. The cost is the main factor it seems. Its Bull S**t to say that a concrete bunker would not with stand a tornado. An F5 tornado will throw a 5 ton truck about like a rag doll. However this is not the same as 25 Ton Reinforced Concrete structured anchored to the ground. No Way hose would it move it. ( I used to work with a bridge engineering firm in Scotland and the forces to be considered when designing a bridge across a fast flowing river are infinitely greater than a tornado ) The cost of such a structure is in the region of 60 Eur per Ton = Approx 2 - 3 Grand in material. An awful lot less than a lot of the shiny cars I saw scattered about the place. Chances of being hit are very small? This is not an excuse. In the process of buildinig a house and spending a lot of dough on concrete upper floors. Far better fire retardent properties. Chances of a fire = very small. Consequences of a fire = unthinkable. You connect an earth wire to ground all copper pipes, Rads, taps in your house at a lot of expense. Again, chances of an electrical short = small, consequences = unthinkable. Folks in that part of the world need to start thinking of the consequences of a tornado hitting them, not the chances of it and let that be the driving force behind deciding if a proper Tornado bunker is cost effective or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheSean

Nice. Hope you're proud of that one.

I live beside Moore in Del City. A lot of my girlfriends family are from there and Newcastle. I can't get in contact with her or some of her family. The place is levelled. I don't know what I'll do if she was visiting. Feel so helpless here. RIP all the people taken by this event.

Haha you're such a knob G...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

another one happening right now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

FFS Mother Nature, give these poor people a break!

• Advertisement

Watching CNN. There are serious traffic jams on the highways. I really hope this tornado doesn't pass over them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Just one touchdown. That was in a ranch. This is usual activity for there at this time of year. The news channels are hyping

It's tornado season and its tornado alley. This isn't that uncommon.

Also, keep in mind that this is the area that was devastated by last year's drought. Pragmatically speaking, they are getting rain now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

5 confirmed dead, 5 in critical condition, dozens injured. Same area as a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

These people just aren't getting a break, are they? It's heartbreaking.

• Advertisement

Nice. Hope you're proud of that one.

I live beside Moore in Del City. A lot of my girlfriends family are from there and Newcastle. I can't get in contact with her or some of her family. The place is levelled. I don't know what I'll do if she was visiting. Feel so helpless here. RIP all the people taken by this event.

No you don't. You live in dublin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

TheSean wrote: »
    No you don't. You live in dublin!!

How do you know this are you a spy?
    How awesome would it be if you really were a spy...you are a spy aren't you???:eek:

It's the internet. Not that hard to find out where someone's coming from.

"Yes Lisa. A wonderful mahagical animal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

TheSean wrote: »
    It's the internet. Not that hard to find out where someone's coming from.

"Yes Lisa. A wonderful mahagical animal"

ah i see....so you're just a plain old stalker then.

ah i see....so you're just a plain old stalker then.

Ah no, he's in my friends on Facebook. Stalking is done in trees outside girl's houses. Hmm boobies.

• Advertisement

Well, this thread has taken a weird twist -er

Well, this thread has taken a weird twist -er

We're just BLOWING smoke...

Advertisement