Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query re new EU ban on animal testing

• 20-05-2013 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭

Although the ban in now enforced, the sale of products containing ingredients tested on animals prior to the ban is still allowed. I can't find any information online, so does anyone know how to check if a product is genuinely cruelty free?

Are products advertised as 'new' covered by this? Maybelline and L'Oreal have new ads, and they definitely tested on animals.

I have also noticed that a lot of companies that did test are now offering 3 for 2 promotions, including supermarket displays. I had assumed that they were trying to offload the older products, and would then promote themselves as cruelty free.

Has anyone any information on this? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Although the ban in now enforced, the sale of products containing ingredients tested on animals prior to the ban is still allowed. I can't find any information online, so does anyone know how to check if a product is genuinely cruelty free?

Are products advertised as 'new' covered by this? Maybelline and L'Oreal have new ads, and they definitely tested on animals.

I have also noticed that a lot of companies that did test are now offering 3 for 2 promotions, including supermarket displays. I had assumed that they were trying to offload the older products, and would then promote themselves as cruelty free.

Has anyone any information on this? Thanks!

My understanding of the new regulation is that any new finished product (so mascara not the pigments for example) manufactured for the EU market cannot be tested on animals after March 2013. However, ingredients previously tested may be used in these finished products (as far as I can understand). Products manufactured prior to March 2013 can still be sold....as far as I understand. You can find the regulation details here http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/cosmetics/animal-testing/

HOWEVER.....many companies that sell here in the EU are also sold in China, a country which requires animal testing on all cosmetic products (L’oreal, Olay, Revlon, MAC....). So what does this mean?! I guess it depends on your personal ethics, I no longer buy from any companies which conduct animal testing in any part of the world.

Going cruelty free is a very long and often expensive process. I’ve wasted so much money over the last few years by investing in companies which I believed to be cruelty free. The only way to absolutely know for sure is by checking with Peta.com and checking if the product is Leaping Bunny certified. You can check here for any brands you’re concerned about http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/default.aspx

I think the regulation is a step in the right direction but I think there is still room for improvement. For instance, a ban on any ingredients previously tested on animals and a ban on the import of products from manufactures engaging in animal testing outside of the EU.

Advertisement