Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Manzarek has died

Options
  • 20-05-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Announced this evening. Passed away in Germany, aged 74.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The time to hesitate is through. No time to wallow in the mire. RIP Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

RIP Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Love Ray,great musician and seemed a great guy too,he was always a wonderful interviewee,very articulate and a total gent,could listen to him all day.....he was an original,couldnt imagine The Doors sound without him

R.I.P Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I grew up on the Doors and was always fascinated with Rays ability to play two different keyboards at the one time when they had no Bass Player (no fancy split keyboards in them days).

There are some great videos on YouTube of Ray breaking down some of The Doors songs and how they came about.

RIP to the legend riding on that storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

RIP. What a life, to have seen and experienced what he must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Very sad news. I got into The Doors just before Oliver Stone's film came out around 1991 and even though Jim was the man, I became fascinated by Ray Manzarek. I loved the way he just kept his head down hunkered over the keyboard playing the bass notes with one hand and lead with the other and shouting out that big booming voice when he had to!

Even though I've probably been more passionate about other bands and singers over the years, no band made as big an initial impression on me upon hearing their music for the first time as The Doors did. They were utterly unique and they didn't sound in any way dated, which is always the sign of a truly great artist.

I'm really glad I got to see him and Robby with Ian Astbury in 2004 at the Point, it was a fantastic show.

RIP Ray and thanks for the amazing music :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

When the music's over turn off the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

One of the classic Doors performances, on The Ed Sullivan Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Before he slipped into unconsciousness, he liked to have another kiss...

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

One of my favourite musicians ever in my favourite band of all time. RIP Ray, the world of music has lost one of its most unique talents :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Doors were probably one of the first bands where I really noticed another musician other than the guitarist.

Rest in peace.

Genuinely saddened to hear this. Seemed like a great guy. I've always found the Doors patchy, but when they hit form, they blow everyone else away.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Gone, but never forgotten.
    Thanks Ray for sharing your talent that gave us the unique sound that was "The Doors".
    R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

It hurts to set you free,
    But you'll never follow me,
    No one here gets out alive,
    Break on through to the other side.

RIP Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Damn it,

The first band I loved. I spent hundreds of hours lying on my bed one summer just devouring every single Doors album I could.

Unique band with a fantastic sound.

Thanks Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

RIP Ray :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

RIP

Have a couple of the Doors albums but for some reason I always found them annoying except for a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,747 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Thanks Ray, you inspired me to learn the piano.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

Loved the bass lines, a fine musician.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

RIP Ray

Jim was an amazing poet and writer but I always believe it was Ray and his Vox Continental organ that defined 'The Doors' sound. Was always fascinated too by his ability to play two different keyboards at the same time. Brilliant story teller as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the making of the album LA woman was on last night on BBC...absolutely mindblowing how talented those guys were..all four of them unique talents in their own way

Advertisement