Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalise Cannabis March June 15th-2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leonh74

Lock the thread admins. No need to support junkies and their habits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Jesus that's a bit extreme. Regardless of your views on legalisation; a few people marching to support their views isn't going to do any harm.

To be fair it's illegal for a reason this shouldn't be promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

leonh74 wrote: »
    To be fair it's illegal for a reason this shouldn't be promoted.

Why is it illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

:p Love it :pac:

• Advertisement

Because people have been left brain dead from the use of cannabis. we can't have bright young prospects succumbing to the use of the drug because of peer pressure that young people find themselves under to try new illegal and morally wrong substances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/05/20/booming/100000002226828/crack-babies-a-tale-from-the-drug-wars.html

Apparently alcohol is more damaging to an unborn child than crack cocaine. But you wont see that in the papers often. This whole idea all drugs are equally bad is ridiculous and not based on facts. Smoking joint is less harmful than most prescription meds in America which more people are going to rehab for than heroin or meth. But there legal because pharmaceutical companies paid millions for their licenses and because of lobbying

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

'5,000 estimated'.

Unfortunately, 4,980 of these decided to stay at home and play on the xbox, whilst 15 others were in rehab, and, the remainder were found stood outside the conference centre looking at the pretty lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

symbolic wrote: »
    Why is it illegal?
    Because people have been left brain dead from the use of cannabis.
    Yes, it was made illegal here with the 1934 Dangerous Drugs Act.

I remember my grandfather telling me that in 1933 alone he had 2 cousins, 3 neighbours and 2 work colleagues left brain dead in mental hospital after taking this evil drug. It was crazy to think it was another year before they outlawed this devastating drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Is this in like,March or Juune?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

bradlente wrote: »
    Is this in like,March or Juune?
    Yo faaar out dude, it starts in like March and goes on until like, Juune?? With like Flange O'Minnigan?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 longforddude

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, it was made illegal here with the 1934 Dangerous Drugs Act.

I remember my grandfather telling me that in 1933 alone he had 2 cousins, 3 neighbours and 2 work colleagues left brain dead in mental hospital after taking this evil drug. It was crazy to think it was another year before they outlawed this devastating drug.

Google sativex

cannabis (hemp) is promoted by our government....

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2010/862/862_hemp.pdf

http://www.teagasc.ie/energy/research/pdf_files/Hemp_for_MDF_production.pdf

Belgium
    portugal
    spain

have decriminalised personal possession to small amounts

Washington
    colorado

have legalised it for personal consumtion

and 15 other USA states have medical Cannabis
    Evil, dangerous some call it....
    propaganda by the OIL companies made it illegal!

The power of this plant is amazing!

The only thing that's amazing about this plant is how quickly it kills brain cells. I agree maybe we shouldn't have alcohol legal but we surely don't need another substance that wastes away the young. Personally i'd find the people who promote the use of cannabis unforgivable

The only thing that's amazing about this plant is how quickly it kills brain cells. I agree maybe we shouldn't have alcohol legal but we surely don't need another substance that wastes away the young. Personally i'd find the people who promote the use of cannabis unforgivable

can you supply the info on the "killing brain cells" statement?
    you maybe confusing Alcohol as the brain killing drug...

alcohol kills people.....
    you cannot die from cannabis! (unless you are crushed by a falling bale of hemp)

the plant has more uses and benifts to mankind then not...

educate yourself on facts.....

open your mind and see the truth

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS:

Mr. Luke 'Ming' Flanagan - Independent TD (Dáil Eireann)
    Mr. Vincent Lavery - D.I.D (Decriminalize Illegal Drugs)
    Jude Campion - Multiple Sclerosis Society of Ireland

More speakers and bands to follow...

The Legalise Cannabis March of 2013 will take place in Dublin on Saturday the 15th of June at 2pm, at The Garden of Remembrance. It's quite clear that Irish legislation needs to change for the benefit of every person in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

alcohol kills people.....
    you cannot die from cannabis! (unless you are crushed by a falling bale of hemp)

the plant has more uses and benifts to mankind then not...

educate yourself on facts.....

open your mind and see the truth

I am certain that account has to be a windup, no one - not even the most staunch anti-cannabis bible bashers believe that it's causing people to end up "brain dead"

I will probably pop into sweeneys, doubt I'll make the march.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

Ok, I'm finished lurking, there is just far too much ignorance on Boards in regards the herb.
    Marijuana is a relatively harmless substance, to put this in perspective alcohol, tobacco and even coffee are more harmful.
    The plant has countless medicinal properties:
    http://www.trueactivist.com/still-believe-nature-got-it-wrong-top-10-health-benefits-of-marijuana/ a link if you choose to read it but don't take that article to be fact check other scientific studies published on the web, google is a powerful tool.
    Now, for the sake of argument, let us pretend cannabis is the devil drug you claim. Well prohibition does not serve to decrease usage, Unicef recently published a study showing the use of cannabis's in Ireland and holland by under 18 is identical. The difference is that in Ireland the revenue from the sale of a cannabis goes to thugs as opposed to the Dutch model which allows enterprise and employment.
    Prohibition is an outdated failed policy, America tried to erradicate drugs,hell the US spent billions yet drug use has increased more or less continuously since the drug war began.
    Whether you think the drug is harmless or not is irrelevant, prohibition only helps criminals and ruins young people's future prospects.
    I am happy to debate this further. Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

This is also a myth. First hit from google but there are plenty more if you search: http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/10-brain-myths9.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Have you ever smoked a joint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS:

More speakers and bands to follow...

The Legalise Cannabis March of 2013 will take place in Dublin on Saturday the 15th of June at 2pm, at The Garden of Remembrance. It's quite clear that Irish legislation needs to change for the benefit of every person in this country.

Offshoot of D.I.D Electrical?

A 42inch and a bag please, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

The legalise cannabis brigade are the most tiresome out there, but if they wanted any sort of credibility why are they getting these clowns to speak on their behalf?

LUPE wrote: »
    The legalise cannabis brigade are the most tiresome out there, but if they wanted any sort of credibility why are they getting these clowns to speak on their behalf?

you know of some who would say a few words on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

you're silly :P

672.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kz22

Look all of you are entitled to your own view but saying things and supporting facts based on "someone told me that" is just a load of nonsense! Why not, instead of saying its bad because its illegal or because someone told you so, look at tons of research done and all the actual facts behind it? I mean c'mon this isn't primary school.

Research on neuro-protection
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/314/2/780.abstract
    Research on effect on cancer cells
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51148243/ns/business-press_releases/t/federal-government-reports-marijuana-effective-combatting-certain-cancers-reports-adsi/#.UbSvl-fVCvb
    Research on effect brain-cells
    http://nugs.com/article/marijuana-increases-brain-cell-formation-in-the-hippocampus.html

Saturday, 15 June 2013
    14:00

Chance of Rain 17°C / 8°C

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS:

CONFIRMED ACTS:

Live Acts:
    Hassle Merchants

DJ Sets:
    Barry Krishna (Hip hop/Reggae)
    Yoda (D&B)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

so how closely monitored and heavily policed are these events?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

leddpipe wrote: »
    so how closely monitored and heavily policed are these events?
    Pretty loosely usually. Just a few people to pick up the crisp packets. discarded Rizlas and point the marchers shufflers towards home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

Just because its legal doesn't mean everybody is goin to start smoking all of a sudden. Alcohol ruins more lives than anything else as its so easily available.
    Weed is just as easily available in most areas around Dublin.

Most kids will grow up and try a cigarette, a drink and a smoke. Some will go of the wall, some will steer away and some will become responsible users no matter what the drug.

Like it or not a lot of people smoke weed, and it can sometimes be dangerous to get some.

Look at portmarnock in the recent news, mostly under agers all drinking, becoming aggressive and throwing bottles and smashing bottles. Take the same amount of people give them a bag of grass, firstly the have no weapons, what are they gonna do throw rizzlas and lighters at each other. It puts you into a different state of mind than 10 cans does.

I read a story in a book in my hotel room in Amsterdam about a coffee shop full of smokers, sitting enjoy a coffee an a cone, and I stumbles s group of guys drunk all shouting, singing and falling around the place, for a look kick over a few chair and left laughing. The writer then turn to his friend and said " nice choice of drug".

The bottom line is over consumption of anything for carrots to cocaine has long term side affects and just because its legal doesn't mean everyone is all of a sudden goin to start smoking 24/7

• Advertisement

Last year the Garda lead the parade by stopping traffic and placing barriers on Molesworth st. They were very helpful and the ones I spoke to were happy as there was no trouble. Even tho there were many marchers smoking strange smelling substances.... there were many photographers there and probably garda videographers. This protest is a peaceful event calling on the Irish government to repeal the drug laws in relation to cannabis sativa and draft new laws to make cannabis use/growing for medical reasons and personal pleasure allowed for Irish citizens....

Advertisement