Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild garlic

Options
  • 20-05-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Brought home a massive bag of wild garlic this evening, made a generous kilner jar of pesto, I intend to freeze some for the winter, but even still I have loooooads left so I was hoping someone would have some suggestions? Am going to use it to replace spinach in my pasta dishes and in a salad but besides that I'm stuck. I was reading online that its good added to the end of soups, but I'm not much of a soup maker, so all suggestions welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Brought home a massive bag of wild garlic this evening, made a generous kilner jar of pesto, I intend to freeze some for the winter, but even still I have loooooads left so I was hoping someone would have some suggestions? Am going to use it to replace spinach in my pasta dishes and in a salad but besides that I'm stuck. I was reading online that its good added to the end of soups, but I'm not much of a soup maker, so all suggestions welcomed!

Chop some of it up finely and mix it with cream cheese - best spread or dip ever.

And if you make enough of it, spread it over lots of fried mushrooms and courgettes in a deep dish and bake in the oven for about 15 - 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I've been living off this stuff for the past 3 months. The smell is intoxicating, the taste superb and it's highly nutritious to boot.

Check out some of the recipes here and on related pages. http://kitchentitbits.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/wild-garlic-challenge-week-5/

I pickled a jar of buds which should come good by the autumn winter. Other staples include putting it in bread (soda / sourdough), in pearl barley risotto and soup. I also wilt a little with and include my poached eggs every morning.

Sad days now the wg near me is starting to wilt !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I can't really help with suggestions, but just wondering did you collect it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I can't really help with suggestions, but just wondering did you collect it yourself?

Yep, on the roadside, a 10min walk from my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Grand , once you didn't import it you're safe enough.

• Advertisement

ye I've heard my mam say there's wild garlic around our house at home, she's on a whole foraging craze at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

KTRIC wrote: »
    Grand , once you didn't import it you're safe enough.

Oh I didn't know you could buy it imported!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ye I've heard my mam say there's wild garlic around our house at home, she's on a whole foraging craze at the moment :D

I wouldn't know wild garlic if it came up to me in the street and garnished me. I realise it's now going out of season but where would a man find some and what should I look for?

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know wild garlic if it came up to me in the street and garnished me. I realise it's now going out of season but where would a man find some and what should I look for?

I wouldn't really have a clue tbh, was just looking on google images there and it seems to be fairly recognizable with the little white flowers. Wild rocket is another thing that's probably about. My mother has taken to eating dandelion leaves in salads and sandwiches in place of spinach, I feel like she can get away with that kind of behavior without being branded a hippie coz she's not veggie/vegan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

I'm intrigued and tempted to go for a little stroll 2m where I know lots of the stuff grows.

It's a mighty herb!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 sachieauckland

have u tried Spinach with Garlic and lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I wouldn't really have a clue tbh, was just looking on google images there and it seems to be fairly recognizable with the little white flowers. Wild rocket is another thing that's probably about. My mother has taken to eating dandelion leaves in salads and sandwiches in place of spinach, I feel like she can get away with that kind of behavior without being branded a hippie coz she's not veggie/vegan :pac:

Be careful, there are some nasty little plants out there that can easily be mistaken for it.
    Always make sure you get a really, really strong smell of garlic of every leave you pick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

there's plenty still in Deer Park in Mount Merrion

Advertisement