Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belgium

Options
  • 21-05-2013 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there,

I've recently been offered a job over in Belgium, where I would be working in one of 2 premises in either Mons or Waterloo. So work/accomodation would be sorted, but does anyone have any experience of either area? I'm 22 and so would take into consideration aspects of living such as nightlife etc. Also while I speak some French I'm nowhere near fluent so would that be much of an issue? I'll have to make the decision in the next couple of days so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://www.expatica.com/be/getting-started-belgium.html

Expatica is a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Out of curiosity, what's the job?
    I did the Erasmus programme years back in Liege. Never warmed to Belgium myself though. Too many people in a small area. Great beer though, and it's at the crossroad of Western Europe. Lots of great places a train ride away, in Holland, Germany, France, London etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndyOTea

I'll be working in a bar in Waterloo. Decided to go for it sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Belgium is a seriously boring enough place, and more boring still if you're in those relatively small and insignificant places...and even more so if you're 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndyOTea

That's nice to hear! Sure flights are nothing so I can always leave if it's that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Gekko wrote: »
    Belgium is a seriously boring enough place, and more boring still if you're in those relatively small and insignificant places...and even more so if you're 22.

How so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Gekko wrote: »

Disagree. Like anywhere, it is what you make it. I lived in Liege for 4 months, but was in Brussels a good bit. There was a buzz around Liege most nights of the week. Depends what you are looking for?
    I can't see Belgium being any more or less boring than Ireland. Like I said, lots of great places a train ride away. You'll get to pick up a bit of the language and the women are good looking as well. ;)

Working in a bar? What better place to be to meet people and have the craic. Enjoy.

Advertisement