Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel around OZ - Must see places & things to do

Options
  • 21-05-2013 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have been living in Melbourne since end of January on a WHV.

Currently working full time on a contract until October 2013. Plan to do some travelling around Australia before probably going back to Ireland before Christmas.

It would be my intention to work until October and then spend November and early December travelling.

What places in Australia would people advise as must see things to do whilst I am here?

I hope to do Fraser Island, Great Barrier Reef, Whitsundays, Cairns and Sydney.

Where else?

Would it be feasible to do this easily in 6 weeks?

What sort of a budget would you need for this trip?

Would be me and the girlfriend doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

What sort of transport do you have, or going to use for this sight seeing journey? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Diddlydoubt

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hi,

What sort of transport do you have, or going to use for this sight seeing journey? :)

mixture of planes, trains and automobiles :). pretty felxible for travel. would consider renting a car to drive up the coast etc. whatever the best way to see places is really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just the east coast or will you be venturing further afield?

definitely the east coast anyway. i am open to suggestions which is the main point of the thread. is there other places you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yep, the west coast. Not necessarily Perth as you can see what you need to in two or three days but the likes of Broome, Exmouth, Coral Bay, Shark Bay, Kalbarri to the north and Margaret River, Dunsborough, Busselton to the south amongst others are all fantastic for different reasons.

In terms of scenery, west >>>>>>>> east for me anyway having done a big chunk of both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you want to see the outback I'd highly recommend The Rock Tour from Alice to Uluru. It's a bit more rough and ready than most of the other tours, you sleep in the bush, gather your own firewood, cook your own meals on the fire.

Seriously good fun.

The Grampians are awesome too, you'll need a couple of days if you want to get around Al the hiking trails and lookouts.

Thanks for advice so far.

Roughly how long could I spend in different places? for example, how many days in whitsundays would be sufficient to do and see the sights there?

i intend to do one of the fraser island tours so i know that will be 2/3 days there.

Costwise, how much would be needed for a month or so travelling around the east and possibly the west coast?

probably staying in half decent accomodation where possible

Advertisement