Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has it gone so negative?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So I am currently living in Ireland, I'm 24, working in the same job the past 6 years - grateful to have work but fed up doing the same job day in day out on poor wages and crap weather.

So this time last year it felt like nearly everyone I knew was immigrating to Australia where
    "all the jobs where" and
    "how life was great there",
    "high wages"
    "living the life" people getting 2nd year visa's etc.
    So I decided maybe I should save up and go and see what all the fuss is about, not just cause everyone else was doing it, something I always wanting to do but hearing people's positive stories and feedback encouraged me to pull the finger out and get the ball rolling.

Have been saving my arse of the last year, got my WHV, sorted out a little trip around Asia before arriving in OZ. and will be leaving the end of next month :D

But......
    now all I seem to be hearing is -
    "can't get work over here",
    "don't waste your money coming over",
    "your best staying in Europe",
    "no jobs",
    "I'm just about managing to get by"
    "Australians are been racist" "Irish aren't welcomed like they use to be" :confused:
    What's the story with that?

From a trip I was ridiculously excited about has now turned into fear and stress of will I like it and will I find work?
    has it really gotten that bad over there? For those over there now what has your experience been? any feedback?

I plan on arriving in Cairns and making my way the the gold coast eventually arriving in Sydney or Melbourne at the end of year.
    I'm not looking for a specific job - however I do hold a business degree and wouldn't mind something in that sector but will happily work in a bar/restaurant/call center etc once it pays the bills. Is it really that hard to even get little jobs like that? Are the Irish over there struggling?

Why all the negativity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mate your stressing over nothing, it's only a holiday after all. If you have saved your money then just come spend it and have a fab time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

Exactly go an live it, you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Like anywhere else in the world Australia is going to be what you make of it. Lots of people come over here with notions that theres thousands of jobs desperately waiting to be filled by Paddy fresh off the plane. The reality is that yes there are jobs but theres also a lot of competition for jobs. Also the availability of jobs depends on what sort of sector you're trying to get into. Some people are just unwilling to take a menial job to tide them over til they can get into the job that they want.

Do you think you might stay for a 2nd year? If so my advice would be to go get your regional work done first as it can be difficult to uproot when you've gotten settled into an area. Australia is a big place, some people seem to forget that theres places outside of Bondi, St.Kilda etc. You're sure to pick up work somewhere. But most importantly come over and enjoy yourself, don't be fretting too much about the horror stories as you wont know how it'll go for you until you get out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ozsummer1

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Mate your stressing over nothing, it's only a holiday after all. If you have saved your money then just come spend it and have a fab time.

Haven't saved enough to cover a year's rent and food :eek: Going over with €5,000- which from what I have heard isn't a whole lot and will need to be looking for work once I get off the plane :o

Testament1 wrote: »
    Do you think you might stay for a 2nd year? If so my advice would be to go get your regional work done first as it can be difficult to uproot when you've gotten settled into an area. Australia is a big place, some people seem to forget that theres places outside of Bondi, St.Kilda etc. You're sure to pick up work somewhere. But most importantly come over and enjoy yourself, don't be fretting too much about the horror stories as you wont know how it'll go for you until you get out here!

haven't really decided yet as I'm not sure what to expect (will I like it or how home sick I'll get)
    Kind of just going with the flow and hoping this is will have a positive impact on my life, just seems everyone has gone so negative re moving to OZ. But suppose I won't know till I get there and judge for myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stop listening to other people
    If you want to go to Oz, then go.
    Wait until you've spent 6+ months here before you start making opinions on your own experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Ozsummer1 wrote: »
    Haven't saved enough to cover a year's rent and food :eek: Going over with €5,000- which from what I have heard isn't a whole lot and will need to be looking for work once I get off the plane :o

haven't really decided yet as I'm not sure what to expect (will I like it or how home sick I'll get)
    Kind of just going with the flow and hoping this is will have a positive impact on my life, just seems everyone has gone so negative re moving to OZ. But suppose I won't know till I get there and judge for myself :)

Don't worry too much. The reality is, the economy is stable. Not booming anymore but nowhere near recession either. As someone who moved over recently, believe me it is infinitely better than the situation in Europe! There are plenty of jobs here in Melbourne in hospitality if you go and proactively look. I'd advise getting your responsible drinking cert if you're looking to go down that route as it's a requirement.

If you're looking for a job in business or any other professional occupation then yes it can be very hard to get something with a WHV. Took me 2 months but it was worth it and I'm happy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

All the doom and gloom is coming from a over supply of Celtic Tiger Pups landing expecting Julia Gillard waiting at the airport with a job in the mines lined up for them along with a visa and beachfront villa...These same pups have probably never wiped their own ass or cleaned a cup in their life.

Don't worry about it, if you got a good work ethic and half a brain you'll be half a brain better off than most of the pups over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

rightyabe wrote: »
    All the doom and gloom is coming from a over supply of Celtic Tiger Pups landing expecting Julia Gillard waiting at the airport with a job in the mines lined up for them along with a visa and beachfront villa...These same pups have probably never wiped their own ass or cleaned a cup in their life.

Don't worry about it, if you got a good work ethic and half a brain you'll be half a brain better off than most of the pups over here.

Dang,

I'm landing in Sydney In August, are you saying that 'de mines' aren't going to hire me to spray water on the ground for $200/h? :(

In fairness since I've told people I'm heading away soon, I've heard nothing but: "Ah the place is gone, there's no work at all" "sure you've only 5 grand, you wont last a week on that - its $30 for a banana sure"

But I've spoken to people in Perth - Sydney & Brisbane, and they assure me that there's plenty work to be found if you are willing to actually work

I'm 24 with a decent shot of all round experience (from farming to bar work to construction) and a reasonable chunk of post grad experience in oil & gas in a management role, so I'm quietly confident that I'll be ok. And im sure the op will be too if they have any kind of assertion and work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

We are all just jealous, go and have a cracker of a time and feck the begrudgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Like the guys have said there are heaps of Irish people who come over here expecting everything for little effort. Don't listen to these clowns, they'll fill your head with nonsense. The possibilities in this country are huge if you are willing to put in the graft and apply yourself you can go very far - even on a WHV

In my case I left college in 2011 and now I'm a restaurant manager here in Melbourne. Don't think that could ever have happened if i stayed in Ireland! And it's not just hospitality. I know people who have been given really well paying, secure jobs because they were good at that they do.. simple really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Just listened to this from Joe Duffy (I know). http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20201969%3A53%3A14-05-2013%3A

I feel sorry for the chap but dear Jesus! How could you come out without signing a legal contract that states your wages and working conditions? Also how do you make up your mind after 3 weeks! Apparently his 2 year-old was homesick...mother of God. Ah well, good old Joe telling it how it is as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

im the same boat saying good bye to my job in 3 weeks
    and heading mid june , im 29 now most of my mates are saying go for you will have a ball and make some cash but there is all ways the ones that will go the other way
    dont let any one bring down your trip

iv been to oz before and you will have a ball it is pricey but you will find your way whit the money easy

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

If you work hard in Oz and persevere you will do well most times.

If you're serious about doing well, cut down on the drinking and going out for a while to make sure you dont blow all the money.

The thing about the mines is, one of the reasons people make so much cash there is because they do nothing but work while they are there.

Yes it is expensive here -compared to Irish prices - but the wages are high too.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

If you have a good attitude and not afraid of hard work, you will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ecoeco

OP I'm in the same boat as you man, landing in Sydney around the start of August after 6 weeks in Thailand and have been put off a bit recently about horror stories about Oz but it must just be from lazy or jealous people not willing to put in a shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Being here just over 2 months - I'd be lying if I said it hasn't being hard finding work here ( currently based in Perth ) and nearly had to go home over it.

HOWEVER, one very important thing I've learned in the past 2 months is the importance of friends. I got my current job ( only a simple cleaning job, it pays the bills while I look for better work ) thanks to a friend who knew I was in a pickle.

You have to keep in mind that it's winter over here right now and so things are a little slower in some places. Also, I'm approaching the WHV as a what it's suppossed to be - a working holiday visa. I'm not looking for pernament work that will result in me being sponsored or whatever - I'm mainly looking to see Austraila and maybe have some fun along the way.

Trust me - if someone like me who has little work experince can work things out over here - then you'll be fine! Just go over with the right mind set, surround yourself with good people and you'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Being here just over 2 months - I'd be lying if I said it hasn't being hard finding work here ( currently based in Perth ) and nearly had to go home over it.

HOWEVER, one very important thing I've learned in the past 2 months is the importance of friends. I got my current job ( only a simple cleaning job, it pays the bills while I look for better work ) thanks to a friend who knew I was in a pickle.

You have to keep in mind that it's winter over here right now and so things are a little slower in some places. Also, I'm approaching the WHV as a what it's suppossed to be - a working holiday visa. I'm not looking for pernament work that will result in me being sponsored or whatever - I'm mainly looking to see Austraila and maybe have some fun along the way.

Trust me - if someone like me who has little work experince can work things out over here - then you'll be fine! Just go over with the right mind set, surround yourself with good people and you'll be laughing.

Fair play to you. It's nice to see that not everyone coming over sees Australia as a money pit or is looking for sponsorship straight off the plane. I think the whv is a good way of seeing what Australia has to offer and then make a decision about whether you want to stay longer. People shouldn't come over and expect it to be plain sailing all the time here. You have to remember you are moving to the other side of the world and be willing to take whatever jobs you can to get by. Australia has a skills shortage not a labour shortage...there is a difference.

Advertisement