Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Queens of the Stone Age be coming Ireland this Summer?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything?...

I am dying to see them live! I know they're playing the Download festival in the UK and Benicassim in Spain but I can't find news of any other European gigs they might have planned... Phantom radio said that they might be supporting someone in Pheonix Park, does that mean the Killers? But with tickets for 61.50 that's hardly right is it? Then I was thinking maybe supporting Soundgarden in September?..

I just don't know! :(

Help?..

Anyone?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

katie88 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything?...

I am dying to see them live! I know they're playing the Download festival in the UK and Benicassim in Spain but I can't find news of any other European gigs they might have planned... Phantom radio said that they might be supporting someone in Pheonix Park, does that mean the Killers? But with tickets for 61.50 that's hardly right is it? Then I was thinking maybe supporting Soundgarden in September?..

I just don't know! :(

Help?..

Anyone?...

Why would QOTSA support Soundgarden? Even in their heyday, Soundgarden were never huge in Ireland. If they come here, it'll be on their own. TBH you'd be better off seeing them at a festival as they are a little dull on stage (despite being awesome on CD) as they tend to go on numerous instrumental interludes in the middle of their songs, yet somehow I've been dragged to them 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 katie88

Well it would be great if they did headline a gig, but I'd settle for a festival, support whatever. And I can only envy that you've gotten to see them 4 times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Last time they played was in The Olympia in 2011. I don't know how well attended that gig was, but they'll be in big demand in 2013 with the release of a new album.

I saw them in Slane in 2003, which included a line up of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Feeder, Foo Fighters, PJ Harvey, Morcheeba and Halite. For me it's one of the best line ups ever in Ireland in one show, and QOTSA were awesome.

I saw them again in Slane one year and they were pretty average. I don't think they like playing daytime shows, and this was early enough in the day.

I hope they come and play somewhere like the O2, as I think they'd be brilliant in an indoor venue.

Looking at their tour dates, there is a two week gap in the middle of their shows in July, when they go from Poland to Spain. However, if they were to squeeze anything in there, they'd probably have announced something by now. The last show is listed for July 20th, and more gigs will be announced. However, Ireland may well miss out.

That 2 week gap you speak of is when The Killers play Pheonix Park... (July 13th) and the are playing Benicàssim in Spain with the Killers after that as well. Seems unlikely.. but could it be?... would they support they'd Killers?... Personally I wish they'd headline a gig but they did support Linkin Park in 2008 (So embarrassing..)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

hardybuck wrote: »
    Last time they played was in The Olympia in 2011. I don't know how well attended that gig was, but they'll be in big demand in 2013 with the release of a new album.

I saw them in Slane in 2003, which included a line up of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Feeder, Foo Fighters, PJ Harvey, Morcheeba and Halite. For me it's one of the best line ups ever in Ireland in one show, and QOTSA were awesome.

I saw them again in Slane one year and they were pretty average. I don't think they like playing daytime shows, and this was early enough in the day.

I hope they come and play somewhere like the O2, as I think they'd be brilliant in an indoor venue.

Looking at their tour dates, there is a two week gap in the middle of their shows in July, when they go from Poland to Spain. However, if they were to squeeze anything in there, they'd probably have announced something by now. The last show is listed for July 20th, and more gigs will be announced. However, Ireland may well miss out.

Olympia gig sold out in jig time, as with all their Irish shows.

They've only played Slane once IIRC, maybe it was supporting Linking Park you saw them?

In general, QotSA normally do a festival circuit, a UK/Germany tour, a Euro tour, then a festival circuit with some random shows in the mix. It may change a little this time, maybe just one bigger Euro tour instead of the smaller mini one. If its that way, it'll possibly be November tour. If its traditional way, it'll be next year when they come back. They rarely skip Ireland totally on a touring cycle. Plus, if its the o2, it'll be one night only I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    They've only played Slane once IIRC, maybe it was supporting Linking Park you saw them?

No I saw them in 2003. RHCP, Foo Fighters, Feeder, PJ Harvey etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

and what a gig that was :cool:

seachto7 wrote: »
    and what a gig that was :cool:

Absolutely. The best line up I've been to on one day anyway!

You seemed to say you saw them again at Slane. Wish could have been at that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

katie88 wrote: »
    would they support the Killers?...
    No way.

• Advertisement

No way.
    Hey I know it's unlikely and it's not like I'd like to see that happen, I'm just trying to piece together rumors. Hopefully they'll just play the O2 on their own or something, even if its not until later in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Absolutely. The best line up I've been to on one day anyway!

Twas indeed. Most bands on that day were on fire! Weather was cracking too from what I recall. I would have preferred to see QOTSA headline that day, but such is life. I preferred them to the RHCP.

More I'm listening to their new stuff, the more I'm looking forward to it.

Didn't they play a few nights in the Ambassador years ago? Around 2004?

Twas indeed. Most bands on that day were on fire! Weather was cracking too from what I recall. I would have preferred to see QOTSA headline that day, but such is life. I preferred them to the RHCP.

Think was 2 nights on SFTD tour, two nights on EV tour. Olympia on ST tour, with Oxegen 05 and 07 and support at Linkin Park. Can't recall any headline LTP dates anyway.

Check out the Jools Holland performance from last week or the week before. They played three of the new tracks, which are continuing to grow on me. Videos are awesome.

Yeah 2003 was really warm and sunny. I think all of the bands were in or around their peak at that stage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I was at Slane in 03 too, great gig. The days when the Slane line up was actually good, unlike the absolute drivel of this years installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

jaysus my ears were wrecked for a couple of days after the olympia gig. best to see them outdoors, give your ears a chance like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

QOTSA are the band I am most looking forward to seeing at Open'er, listening to the new album on iTunes right now

So this is what it used to feel like as a child in the run up to Christmas.....

Hey, they're playing London in September...maybe they'll pop over here too?... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Some random chap asked them on their facebook page a few nights ago:

"Do a ****ing tour and come to ****ing Ireland."

To which they replied "oh ****ing kay"

Hope they announce a date soon. Loving the new album.

That response is hilarious! I do hope it happens soon, new album is a belter.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Some random chap asked them on their facebook page a few nights ago:

"Do a ****ing tour and come to ****ing Ireland."

To which they replied "oh ****ing kay"

Hope they announce a date soon. Loving the new album.

Yes I did see that :) Hopefully they'll announce something soon... The new album is excellent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

They played in February 2008 two nights at the ambassador theathre aswell,awesome live band I seen them in a tent in 2007 oxegen , class

November tour incoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,864 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The O2 is an awful venue for them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The O2 is an awful venue for them imo.

Maybe, but due to the evident demand and the fact it's in Winter, there isn't really anywhere else for them to play...:rolleyes:

November 17th it is. Tickets going on sale Friday at €39.

Do people reckon this will sell out quickly or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Do people reckon this will sell out quickly or what?

I wouldn't say so. They would be doing well to sell out at all.

Advertisement