Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Kennels

• 21-05-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of Best Kennels in north county Dublin ? I've heard a few stories about kennels in general and am nervous about leaving my dog anywhere but as dates didn't suit the person who would normally mind him for a few days I have to condsider boarding him.

He's also a small dog which increases my anxiety about leaving him but seemingly they separate by size and operate a kind of buddy system where they pair off dogs to play together. So am hoping for some feedback from anyone who had used them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The owner can be quite abrupt and at times or he can be really nice - so you've probably heard stories of his abrupt/rudeness! TBH I was afriad I'd say the wrong thing to him and be sent packing last time I wanted to use them but he was really nice on the phone - they were full that time so I used somebody else in Naul which suited us better because he was more friendly/chatty and put me at ease. I've only used Best once and my dog was very well cared for and no probs giving him medication he was on at the time.. My friend is always going away and would use them every other month - she finds them brilliant and most importantly the dog is delighted going in. Last time they went to collect him he was standing behind the counter with his paws up on it lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

@ultwen thanks for the offer - a lot of places were already booked up and Best kennels had space left for the dates I'm looking for so he is already booked in, at least provisionally ~ I have no issue cancelling if need be ~ so just want to get opinions of that particular place for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I left my dog in last year when I went to a wedding for the weekend. Didnt have any issues with the owner. Was very nice and helpful and the dog came home happy.

Only reason I don't use them now is the times are a little rigid for pick up and drop off. And I've a lot more flexability where she is currently boarded when we are away.

To clarify I found the owner friendly and accommodating over the phone, just wanting to know that my dog will be taken care of while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

jjdub1 wrote: »
    To clarify I found the owner friendly and accommodating over the phone, just wanting to know that my dog will be taken care of while there.

The dog will be fine! :). Our daycare recommends Best - there's no way they'd do that if there was any doubts about the level of care. Just don't be late and remember your vacc. card - I say that having forgotten mine last time we used kennels lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 SharonLynch007

Has anyone any experience of using Comfy Kennels in Birr Offaly ?
    I have a contact phone number for them but cannot find any web site or any other information.
    I have used San Martin Kennels in Mucklagh in Tullamore & found them great, though a little too far away.
    I know kennels have to be inspected & registered too with the Department of Environment (I think) is there an online list of kennels that passed their inspection ?

When in Dublin we use West City Kennels, in all the years I have had dogs I found this one to be the best, my dog loves going in & he always delighted to see Alan.

Could be mixing the name up - he's Declan as far as I remember.

It's a couple of months ago since my little fella was there and while dropping him off and collecting him there were many return boarders that Declan knew by name. My dog looked like he was a little shaken by the experience but was fine within a few hours of picking him up - i just put that down to nerves and him being without his home comforts for the few days he was there.
    One thing I have appreciated is that since he came home he now eats the kibbles I put down for him and doesn't starve himself in the hope he'll get some human food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

tk123 wrote: »
    So you're slating a kennels you may or may not have used? His name isn't Donal btw

That post is from 2010 and refers to "Donal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Heat_Wave I have deleted your posts as you don't seem too sure about which Kennels you are negatively commenting about.

This isn't therefore fair on the reputable kennels that have done nothing wrong.

PM me if you need further clarification.

Advertisement