Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants to watch some old Who with me?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 11:07am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm writing some Who reviews for a site that I shall not name. As the current series is over, I'm going to keep myself going by going back and reviewing some older serials/ episodes.

I thought it might be fun to also discuss them in threads here as I'm doing them there. I'm starting- but not limiting myself- to the new series. I thought I'd start with Rose.

This has been done here before, but Who wasn't nearly as big as it is now. Was wondering if anyone would like to join me :)

I'm gonna be watching it this weekend if anyone is in.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I've seen most many many times so i'll chime in on any threads that are started if i can think of anything to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Finding it weird to refer to 'Rose' as old.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'll do the dame as DirtyBollox DD(a phrase I'd never have thought I'd type...:))

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Yup, I'll happily chip in too.

I'd love to do the same with some proper old Who, though. (Tom Baker was my Doctor, so I may be a tad biased when it comes to which classic Who might be open for discussion...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I re-watched the McGann movie the other week. You know, on reflection, it really wasn't all that bad*. Certainly no worse than some of the new-Who. I've watched occasional "old-Who's" over the last while so I'll chime in here and there probably.

Remember folks: I'm an admin. Any rotten fruit/vegetables thrown in my direction will result in a siteban :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sounds like a good idea, an episode of the week type thing.

The McGann movie was probably the first "new" Who I ever saw,
    Love every second of it.

Random fact Liam Cunningham who was the Russian submarine captain in "The Cold War" recently auditioned for the part of The Doctor in the Movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I was enjoying watching the old Who on Netflix but they pulled it mid episode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I was enjoying watching the old Who on Netflix but they pulled it mid episode :(

I'm actually really annoyed about that, I wanted to watch them.

I'm in for re watching, the OH watched them all when I was studying recently so I'll have to do it on my own when I have the tv to myself but ill do my best!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well I'm thinking trial of a time lord after Rose-remember I'm doing this for writing purposes and I like trial because it's a good example of the Doctor getting pissed off with time lord society, plus the valeyard... if I'm going to be "educating" new who fans, it's a good one too!

Well I'm thinking trial of a time lord after Rose-remember I'm doing this for writing purposes and I like trial because it's a good example of the Doctor getting pissed off with time lord society, plus the valeyard... if I'm going to be "educating" new who fans, it's a good one too!

Hurrah for Trial! I love the idea of The Valeyard, but wish it had been executed better. I had high hopes for
    John Hurt
    , but I fear that they're about to be dashed...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm that could be interesting - honestly? I haven't watched Rose since the year it came out; even when someone got me season 1 on DVD I couldn't bring myself to watch it again; it's definitely a story I try to forget about. It would be curious to rewatch it though, purely in the interest of science :D

I think some classic threads could be groovy too, and would make for a good way to get people into the Classic series :) Though I would argue that Trial of a Time Lord isn't the best example to start with; it's ages since I saw it but wasn't it quite padded and badly scripted for the largest part? Not to mention starring one of the worse Doc/Companion combinations...

pixelburp wrote: »
    I would argue that Trial of a Time Lord isn't the best example to start with; it's ages since I saw it but wasn't it quite padded and badly scripted for the largest part? Not to mention starring one of the worse Doc/Companion combinations...

Peri... right up (or down?) there with Mel and Adric. :( Trial definitely isn't the best Who story, but there's plenty of unrealised potential there and great scope for debate.

Terror of the Autons might be an interesting one to follow Rose with - it would make for a good compare and contrast. (Plus, The Master!)

I would also humbly suggest, for starters:
    Genesis of the Daleks
    The Ark in Space
    City of Death
    The Time Warrior
    Pyramids of Mars (not Waters!)
    Doctor Who and the Silurians
    The Deadly Assassin
    The Time Warrior

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Genesis of the Daleks
    Oh yes. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Considering that RTD (I think) once remarked that Genesis of the Daleks was, in effect, the first shot & battle of the Time War, it would seem quite apt to choose that one.

Another point - it's worth noting that one thing the Classic Series was guilty of was padding, particularly with the longer stories (I'm looking at you Silurians! The worst for that was surely The War Games); they were stories meant to be watched in 25-minute chunks per week, where the padding wasn't as obvious. I've found when watching the episodes consecutively on DVD the padding can seem more pronounced.

For my own suggestions, I'd like to suggest some lesser known stories, but classics in my own eyes:
    • Inferno - alternate universe shenanigans that made RTD's own attempt look tame.
    • The Sea Devils - to me one of the superior Master stories
    • Curse of Peladon - featured the Ice Warriors where they weren't the bad-guys
    • The Green Death - giant maggots and a completely unsubtle environmental message!
    • Terror of the Zygons - considering they're coming back it'd be a good idea to check out their first appearance. A great story anyway; super creepy, despite the ropey Loch Ness monster FX :D
    • Seeds of Doom - effectively Doctor Who meets The Avengers (the old Brit TV series that is), and an example of a 6-episode story that has almost no padding. Seriously, this story flies along, it's great fun.
    • Horror of Fang Rock - one of the last 'Hammer Horror' style stories from the Tom Baker era, and definitely one of the grislier tales.
    • Warrior's Gate - to get that full experience of just how extensive in tone Who could be; an early 80s Tom Baker story & one of the more cerebral Who tales made. Requires multiple viewings & tbh is an ignored classic. Great visuals too.
    • Kinda - the DVD has improved SFX to fix the famously awful giant-snake, but this is another interesting, thoughtful tale, this time about the monsters of the ID.
    • Frontios - Very stagy story, but an interesting if bleak tale from the arse-end of the universe. not sure if it's on DVD though. When you take away Caves of Adrozani, there's not a lot from the Davison era that's "classic" :(
    • Revelation of the Daleks - fairly well known & the best of a bad bunch from the Colin Baker era really.
    • Ghost Light - If Warrior's Gate requires multiple viewings, increase that number for Ghost Light. Famously dense & ambiguous, yet fascinating.
    • Survival - the last story from the Classic Series, yet interestingly is quite similar in scope & setting to the RTD run. You could easily watch this, then Rose without missing a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I'm definitely in and very excited! Although I too find referring to "Rose" as old but I'd love to revisit the old episodes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

I'm in! :)

I am also a child (in her twenties :P) of new Who, but I'm trying to get acquainted with the old classics. I'm almost finished season 1 with William Hartnell - but god! It's gonna take me forever to get through all 26 seasons!!! They're so long!

Maybe it's my childhood speaking here, :o but The Brain of Morbius, Pyramids of Mars and Robots of Death stood out at the time(along with Genesis of the Daleks and Horror of Fang Rock, Warriors Gate among others that PB noted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'd like to join in too :)

I'd also recommend throwing in a few stories from left field too, because only going with 'The Best' means that you go in with high expectations. As a result, I've found myself disappointed with traditionally popular stories, Inferno and The Caves of Androzani being notable examples

On the flip side of the coin, you can discover some great gems that are looked over by others. Personally, my favourite Classic story is The Keys of Marinus, which many people don't like

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seeds of Doom - effectively Doctor Who meets The Avengers (the old Brit TV series that is), and an example of a 6-episode story that has almost no padding. Seriously, this story flies along, it's great fun.

I watched that just the other week :D

Ok, I think people are missing why I'm going to watch these things :)

I'm not after "the best". I'm after the ones I can write the most interesting articles about, and that can be the worst, or ones written by interesting people (city of death) or hidden gems or anniversaries or...

If I can write an article about it, it'll probably also be worth discussing the one in question here seperately. That's the idea :)

• Advertisement

Just an FYI: my review of Rose will not be kind. I really don't like Series 1, but I'll have to rewatch it to remind myself quite how much I don't like it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gareth789

Anything to do with the Daleks is OK in my book, I always enjoyed Jon Pertwees episodes with Katy Manning, especially the Green Death, Day of the Daleks, etc.

Seeing as Trial of a Timelord is about 1,000 hours long I'm thinking City of Death next. Mainly because I really want to watch City of Death right now.

That good for people?

"Such a wonderful butler: he's so violent"

:D

"You're a beautiful woman.... Probably". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Daemos wrote: »
    Just an FYI: my review of Rose will not be kind. I really don't like Series 1, but I'll have to rewatch it to remind myself quite how much I don't like it :p

How can you not like Series 1? :eek: Christopher Eccleston is an unreal Doctor! And also it's before Stephen Moffet was allowed to ruin the whole show! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'll see if I can get a couple of hours to myself during the week. :)

Hiwazup wrote: »
    How can you not like Series 1? :eek: Christopher Eccleston is an unreal Doctor! And also it's before Stephen Moffet was allowed to ruin the whole show! :p
    Having said that, I'm surprised myself at how much I liked Rose when I did actually watch it a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Seeing as Trial of a Timelord is about 1,000 hours long

That good for people?

999 of which are wasted on re-showing that shot of the TARDIS being tractor'd into the court-ship.

If you're rewatching any C. Baker, I'd like to join in. Particularly Twin Dilemma, as it's been consistently voted the worst story ever, and while it's pretty dour, it's no worse than the wealth of padding-episodes/stories that filled the runs of previous series/Doctors; in fact, even that slight bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pixelburp wrote: »
    "Such a wonderful butler: he's so violent"

:D
    dw-strax3.gif

Advertisement