Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray cats

Options
  • 21-05-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Having phoned the Louth SPCA and left quite a few messages (none returned) I was wondering does anyone on here know the procedure for dealing with stray cats, I have four cats of my own but there's a colony of strays 6-8 cats which now live in my garden and eat my cat's food, any ideas how to deal with such a problem?

Looking for humane suggestions, does anyone know anything about trap and neuter schemes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It frustrates me greatly that there's no control on cats here. I'm overrun with everybody else's feline friends which is fantastic for vermin prevention but not for my sanity.

Uf you find something OP, Let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The animal welfare laws don't really cover cats like they do dogs, so the LSPCA may not be of any assistance at all. Unfortunately under law, cats are considered to be like rodents/vermin and do not require licencing so the state bodies tend not to get involved unless it's a case of animal cruelty/neglect.

Your best bet would be to contact somebody like Drogheda Animal Rescue, they do rehome cats/kittens so they might run a TNR scheme or point you in the direction of a rescue group that does.

http://www.dar.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/DroghedaAnimalRescue

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of Dar, but I think I'm outside their "catchment" area! excuse the pun! that's why I tried to contact the LSPCA. I'll phone DAR tomorrow and seek their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of Dar, but I think I'm outside their "catchment" area! excuse the pun! that's why I tried to contact the LSPCA. I'll phone DAR tomorrow and seek their advice.

How did you get on, and how did the strays get on? Are you in / around Dundalk? LSPCA do look into cat issues (as well as all other animals) and if you're still having a problem maybe you could try messaging them (Louth SPCA)on Facebook?

Still on going! LSPCA never returned my calls so give up on them, DAR were very helpfull, advised me on trap and neuter, but I can't proceed at the moment, I also have a lovely 5 week old black male kitten that I'm befriending at the moment in the hope to re home him, having said that, I'll find it hard to part with him when the time comes! looking like I'll have 5 cats soon, plus the strays. Also I'm not on Facebook, I think it's the work of the devil:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

anyone else expecting to see this here? :(

Stray+Cats+19961001.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Having phoned the Louth SPCA and left quite a few messages (none returned) I was wondering does anyone on here know the procedure for dealing with stray cats, I have four cats of my own but there's a colony of strays 6-8 cats which now live in my garden and eat my cat's food, any ideas how to deal with such a problem?

Looking for humane suggestions, does anyone know anything about trap and neuter schemes?

Land them at the door of the LSPCA or County Pound if ye can catch them they'd have to deal with them then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Millie94

Still on going! LSPCA never returned my calls so give up on them, DAR were very helpfull, advised me on trap and neuter, but I can't proceed at the moment, I also have a lovely 5 week old black male kitten that I'm befriending at the moment in the hope to re home him, having said that, I'll find it hard to part with him when the time comes! looking like I'll have 5 cats soon, plus the strays. Also I'm not on Facebook, I think it's the work of the devil:D

Hi I am willing to give the little kitten a home. I have my own rescue cat which I brought home with me from UK. If you can bear to part with him, let me know

Millie94 wrote: »
    Hi I am willing to give the little kitten a home. I have my own rescue cat which I brought home with me from UK. If you can bear to part with him, let me know

PM sent.

Advertisement