Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Teacher Spain

• 21-05-2013 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I have an interview for a job in Seville in a private Secondary School. I have four years experience and the job would be to teach English. I have a degree in Spanish so I assume that's why theyre interested in interviewing. Just wondering if any qualified teachers out there are teaching in Spain. Not tefl but a secondary school. What has been your experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

ahahah wrote: »
    I have an interview for a job in Seville in a private Secondary School. I have four years experience and the job would be to teach English. I have a degree in Spanish so I assume that's why theyre interested in interviewing. Just wondering if any qualified teachers out there are teaching in Spain. Not tefl but a secondary school. What has been your experience?

All private schools will be different but I would imagine that your school is modelled on the GCSE / A-Level system. It would be tough and you will be expected to be in school full time - something like 8:30 - 16:30 / 17:00 each day. You will probably have to do some more prep / corrections outside those hours.

Speaking spanish means that you can be a class tutor and that you can deal with parents. Systems vary over here but in one school I know the tutor organises two meetings with the parents of each student during the year so you might have individual parent teacher meetings each week to get through all the students.

The money over here is not great when you consider the amount of work that you will have to do. I imagine they will offer you something between €1500 and €2200 gross per month. Pay in private schools can vary quite a bit.

Seville is extremely hot and the summer months there will be quite uncomfortable to live in. I'm working in Madrid (which is not as hot as Seville) and there is generally a mass exodus here in the summer months.

On a positive point the lifestyle here is great. Seville is a great city - you're close to Cordova / Granada / Portugal / Gulf of Cadiz etc.

Advertisement