Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passive heating system for a new build

• 21-05-2013 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I am currently building a 2200 sq ft(204m2) dormer bungalow. i intend to insulate the life out of it aswell as get the house air tight. I intend to install a HRV system with boost functions in each wet room. The heating system i hope to use is a 14kw air to water heat pump with ufh.

As a back up i also intend to 100% air sealed stove with a back bolier for exceptional cold spells. I also hope to have solar tubes to warm the water.

I intend to have a well insulated buffer tank which will be fed from solar tubes, back boiler and HP going to under floor heating and the upstairs rad.

My questions are:

What size buffer tank should i have?
    Should i use Dimplex smart rads( which are noisy but economical) or double panelled steel rads (which will reduce the buffer size needed)?
    Can anyone recommend people in kildare or near which will make the house air tight, supply & install air to water pump, buffer tanks and ufh.

Also can anyone recommend places to get an airtight stove?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

Hi All,

I am currently building a 2200 sq ft(204m2) dormer bungalow. i intend to insulate the life out of it aswell as get the house air tight. I intend to install a HRV system with boost functions in each wet room. The heating system i hope to use is a 14kw air to water heat pump with ufh.

As a back up i also intend to 100% air sealed stove with a back bolier for exceptional cold spells. I also hope to have solar tubes to warm the water.

I intend to have a well insulated buffer tank which will be fed from solar tubes, back boiler and HP going to under floor heating and the upstairs rad.

My questions are:

What size buffer tank should i have?
    Should i use Dimplex smart rads( which are noisy but economical) or double panelled steel rads (which will reduce the buffer size needed)?
    Can anyone recommend people in kildare or near which will make the house air tight, supply & install air to water pump, buffer tanks and ufh.

Also can anyone recommend places to get an airtight stove?

Hold your horses with that beast of a heat pump, 6 to 7 kw ground source and 10kw air source maybe a bit less depending on just how much insulation you use,
    Dimplex rads if you absolutely can't underfloor it
    Your going to some serious overkill and expense on the heating system with solar, back boiler and buffer, with all your going to spend you'd get a borehole and heatpump and you'll never need a backup,
    Talk to a good heat pump supplier first before you spend a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

How did you get on with your plumbing installation? I'm now where you were 6 months ago and would love to hear about your choices and experiences. Many thanks

Advertisement