Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Fresh Water Tanks

Options
  • 21-05-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

I (now) know not to use Milton type sterilizers to sterlize the fresh water tanks because of the damage it will do to the van's boiler. However, I thought it was Milton being a bleach that did the damage? Are the other suggestings that a search throughs up (such as Sterichlor) not just different versions of bleach?

I was never that good at chemistry, but a sanitizer that I've used for home brew is 30ml thin bleach and 30ml white vinegar per 19/20l of water. Would that be risking the same potential damage to the boiler as a milton type mix?

I think the tank could do with a clean, so I'm probably going to pony up for some purisol, but if the sanitizer worked it'd be quick and easy to do every so often (if it's good enough for my beer...).

Apologies for the new thread, I just couldn't bring myself to resurrect a thread from 2008!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I (now) know not to use Milton type sterilizers to sterlize the fresh water tanks because of the damage it will do to the van's boiler. However, I thought it was Milton being a bleach that did the damage? Are the other suggestings that a search throughs up (such as Sterichlor) not just different versions of bleach?

I was never that good at chemistry, but a sanitizer that I've used for home brew is 30ml thin bleach and 30ml white vinegar per 19/20l of water. Would that be risking the same potential damage to the boiler as a milton type mix?

I think the tank could do with a clean, so I'm probably going to pony up for some purisol, but if the sanitizer worked it'd be quick and easy to do every so often (if it's good enough for my beer...).

Apologies for the new thread, I just couldn't bring myself to resurrect a thread from 2008!
    There is stuff specifically for the job , made by Truma, we've been selling loads of it, and from experience it really does work. It's 3 sachets, easy to use , and environmentally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    There is stuff specifically for the job , made by Truma, we've been selling loads of it, and from experience it really does work. It's 3 sachets, easy to use , and environmentally safe.
    I'm coming to the conclusion of spending money on the proper stuff - the few quid now, versus a new boiler later...

Advertisement