Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FCÁ "A Cast of Thousands"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thanks for that Punchdrunk.. Now I feel F*cking ancient!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

iceage wrote: »
    Thanks for that Punchdrunk.. Now I feel F*cking ancient!;)

anytime Sir! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Fun to watch as a historic piece. I never saw it back then but I have to say back in 1988 it would have been embarrassing. The intro was reminiscent of Dad's army. Then the cavalry in their museum pieces charging into battle in their number ones with their .303s. Also surprising was that none of the civvies interviewed mentioned 'Free Clothes Association'. It was yelled at me often enough.

I was surprised that they used Lee Enfields at all. Even in the early eighties the FN was more frequently seen, at least in the Dublin units. In 1988 every ragtag guerrilla army was fully equipped with assault rifles and camouflage uniforms. Yet here was part of the army of a first world nation equipped and dressed in a way that wouldn't even be state of the art in WW2.

Then the mealy mouthed support from the politician and the General.

Thank God there never was a need to use the FCA in any kind of conflict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    here's an old documentary from the '80s on the reserves I thought some of you might like a look at

https://www.facebook.com/GeneFile.Ltd/posts/575085559203382

Hmmm. Very interesting.

Not.

All I got was 8 seconds of a title screen........that was it.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

asdfg! wrote: »
    Then the cavalry in their museum pieces charging into battle in their number ones with their .303s.

Not a set of overalls in sight - funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Is that a carl gustaf sub-machine gun at the start?

Not a set of overalls in sight - funny that.
    Very funny, maybe it was a due to the fact that many FCA units wore surplus combats from every nation in the Western world, except Ireland of course because that would be illegal. That wouldn't have looked good on film.

Beano wrote: »
    Is that a carl gustaf sub-machine gun at the start?
    Indeed it was.

Very funny, maybe it was a due to the fact that many FCA units wore surplus combats from every nation in the Western world, except Ireland of course because that would be illegal. That wouldn't have looked good on film.

I think at one point surplus Dutch Army olive combat jackets became a de facto field uniform for the FCA.

To be frank if they were all wearing Dutch combats in the film they would have looked much much better.

It only looks bad if you are following some "first world army" pretense - but the pretense of putting them all in No. 1s actually makes the army look worse than just admitting the lads had to buy their own gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

That was 'interesting' - it brought back one or two memories I've fought hard to suppress!!

I see Moya Doherty went on to better things (just about) having worked on that!! Also the director was Gerry McColgan - I assume that's her now brother-in-law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Also surprising was that none of the civvies interviewed mentioned 'Free Clothes Association'. It was yelled at me often enough.

3:49.

NTM

Jawgap wrote: »
    That was 'interesting' - it brought back one or two memories I've fought hard to suppress!!

When I saw them getting "the breakfast" I got flashbacks of being given cabbage and chips for dinner in a certain West of Ireland cookhouse.

I think at one point surplus Dutch Army olive combat jackets became a de facto field uniform for the FCA.

To be frank if they were all wearing Dutch combats in the film they would have looked much much better.

It only looks bad if you are following some "first world army" pretense - but the pretense of putting them all in No. 1s actually makes the army look worse than just admitting the lads had to buy their own gear.
    Agreed, surplus Italian combats were popular at one stage and West German parkas. Some British surplus and then a lot of American field jackets. The average guerrilla army were more uniform than the FCA. Many guerrilas even had DPM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

When I saw them getting "the breakfast" I got flashbacks of being given cabbage and chips for dinner in a certain West of Ireland cookhouse.

I seem to remember getting some porridge like substance for dinner one evening in Clonmel.

As for names, I preferred Fish and Chip Army to Free Clothes Assocation or the less witty Freestate C.... Association.

And as for kit, German parkas (and anything else you might need) from Alpha Bargains, FTW.

Saying that, they (11th S&T Coy) did teach me to drive and I spent some nice days in Gormantown shooting - it was like going to Mosney! I still have fond memories of pinging away with the Lee Enfield - I much preferred it to the FN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

My uniform of choice in the early 80s was , Irish combat trousers, great bit of room in them.
    Germany army combat parka with nice warm liner for the winter. I think it was a much better option than the Irish combat jacket of the time, it also had a hood.
    Think this is pretty much like it,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GERMAN-ARMY-NATO-PARKA-WITH-HOOD-34-52-/150426906946

our unit was like the UN with so many different uniforms, the olive Italian jackets with the elbow pads were a big hit but I saw many guys freezing in Kilbride or in a stiff sea breeze in Gormanstown.

The weirdest combats I ever saw in those days was when one guy turned up in light green pinstriped combat gear, I think it was from Korea but I have never seen its likes again. I laughed everytime I saw him.

On the breakfast front I think I remember getting custard on toast once but this may be just a bad dream.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My uniform of choice in the early 80s was , Irish combat trousers, great bit of room in them.
    Germany army combat parka with nice warm liner for the winter. I think it was a much better option than the Irish combat jacket of the time, it also had a hood.
    Think this is pretty much like it,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GERMAN-ARMY-NATO-PARKA-WITH-HOOD-34-52-/150426906946

our unit was like the UN with so many different uniforms, the olive Italian jackets with the elbow pads were a big hit but I saw many guys freezing in Kilbride or in a stiff sea breeze in Gormanstown.

The weirdest combats I ever saw in those days was when one guy turned up in light green pinstriped combat gear, I think it was from Korea but I have never seen its likes again. I laughed everytime I saw him.

On the breakfast front I think I remember getting custard on toast once but this may be just a bad dream.

Custard on toast.... legendary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Enjoyed watching brought back lots of happy memories, spotted Longford, Griffith? and the glen where else was featured?
    It was more of an army back then despite the lack of kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Enjoyed watching brought back lots of happy memories, spotted Longford, Griffith? and the glen where else was featured?
    It was more of an army back then despite the lack of kit

Waterford barracks I think.

Advertisement