Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of adding a Velux type skylight to room?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭

I have a walk-in room upstairs that is above the sunroom, but it has no natural light.

How much would I be expecting to pay to have a Velux-type skylight installed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

100 to 150 should cover the fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats fairly cheap, I thought it would be a big job to put a whole in the roof?

Any idea how much the window is itself to give me an idea of total cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

I had something like this done and paid 850 for it

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NIMAN wrote: »
    TAny idea how much the window is itself to give me an idea of total cost?
    For a smallish one you could pay around €400 but shop around (incl Derry) for a few prices.

Fitting I would think would be in the region of €150 - €200. Again with shopping around you may get lower but you shouldnt really pay any more than €200 max for labour.

Edit/ Trade prices can be found here but those are ex. vat.

meant to add
    that would be for a cash price
    a registered subbie would probably charge a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

A small vlux cost about 200 euro and another 60 or so for the flashing then you have to cut out the roof build down the tunnel, ad insulation around this then slab and skim with hard wall plaster.
    Not such a small job if you want it done right as the saying goes pay peanuts get monkeys, its your home get a proper job done and you will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have a walk-in room upstairs that is above the sunroom, but it has no natural light.

How much would I be expecting to pay to have a Velux-type skylight installed?

There is a German equivalent to Velux. I've also heard of an English company who supply and fit their windows but they wait until they have a certain number to fit before sending their guys over. I'd Google it and if you've got the time, weather and intermediate DIY skills..their surprisingly easy to fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

There is a German equivalent to Velux. I've also heard of an English company who supply and fit their windows but they wait until they have a certain number to fit before sending their guys over. I'd Google it and if you've got the time, weather and intermediate DIY skills..their surprisingly easy to fit.
    They are reasonably easy to fit, but you should see the amount of bodge jobs out there with lads that think they know what they are doing.felt folded down, letting water in; trimmers that go nowhere and flashings that end up relying on the amount of silicon someone can smear around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

I can well believe that. I've seen bathrooms with sinks,toilets and baths held in place using only silicone. If silicone every breaks down..half the houses in Dublin will collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

is the roof slates or tiles? no one has even asked this question and it has a huge bearing on simplicity of this job.until much more details are supplied for jobs like these no one should quote laughable qoutes like 150 to 200 euro imo the difference between slates and tiles for retro fitting a velux are huge and it gives lay people a really bad guide on what to expect

• Advertisement

My roof is like this
    slate-roofing-07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thats a dormer window now a Velux window, or were you just referring to the slate finish?

is the roof slates or tiles? no one has even asked this question and it has a huge bearing on simplicity of this job.until much more details are supplied for jobs like these no one should quote laughable qoutes like 150 to 200 euro imo the difference between slates and tiles for retro fitting a velux are huge and it gives lay people a really bad guide on what to expect

you`re probably just inexperienced putting in velux`s

allow a bit more time for slates,O.P no biggie

endasmail wrote: »
    you`re probably just inexperienced putting in velux`s

allow a bit more time for slates,O.P no biggie

i think i am a little bit more expierienced at earning money than you tbh enda ,i dont get involved with jobs that involve earning 150 euros first kick of the ball how about yourself:D

i think i am a little bit more expierienced at earning money than you tbh enda ,i dont get involved with jobs that involve earning 150 euros first kick of the ball how about yourself:D

yea i have to be honest, i love them 150 euro jobs and out the door by lunch time
    you must be a big internet construction developer....fair play

endasmail wrote: »
    yea i have to be honest, i love them 150 euro jobs and out the door by lunch time
    you must be a big internet construction developer....fair play

you sound like some carpenter/roofer/plasterer alright finnished at lunchtime,im in meath area myself maybe some day i could go work with you,i could sharpen your pencil for you and learn so much from such a master craftsman

Quazzie wrote: »
    Thats a dormer window now a Velux window, or were you just referring to the slate finish?

The slates, same as mine, forget about the window.

you sound like some carpenter/roofer/plasterer alright finnished at lunchtime,im in meath area myself maybe some day i could go work with you,i could sharpen your pencil for you and learn so much from such a master craftsman

That shut me right up :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement