Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your "Increase in Value" XI.

• 21-05-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭

shamelessly stolen from elsewhere.

rather than picking your usual mundane "Team of the Season", the challenge is to pick the XI you think whose value has risen over the course of the 2012/13 EPL season.

mine:

McCarthy
    Coleman----Koscielny----Luiz
    Rose
    Schneiderlin
    Mata
    Michu
    Maloney
    Lukaku
    Benteke

go...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Maybe Begovic in goal?

Stewart Downing too, everyone thought he was worth fúck all at the start of the season but now he's defo worth a fiver :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Bale
    Bale----Bale----Bale----Bale
    Bale
    Bale
    Bale
    Bale
    Bale
    Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Begovic
    Rafael Koscielny Evans Zabaleta
    Michu Yacob Fellaini Bale
    Benteke Lambert

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

In pure value terms I think you'd have to have Suarez and Bale in there.

Suarez has gone from a £30/35m player to a £45/50m player.

Bale will have made a similar leap.

In terms of percentage of previous value obviously there are better candidates (e.g. Michu from £3m to maybe £12m, a quadrupling of value), but in pure value terms I would say Suarez and Bale would probably blow everyone out of the water.

Also, if you counted Courtois he would have to take the goalkeeper slot. He would command a huge fee now for a goalkeeper imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

De Gea
    Rafael Kos Evans Coleman
    McManaman McCarthy Diame Mata
    Michu
    Benteke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mignolet

Azpilacueta Nastasic Jagielka Shaw

Cork

Coutinho Michu Maloney

Benteke Lambert

Bale, Suarez, Lukaku etc would all be in there but I've tried to go for something a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tricky....I'm not including obvious big money names.

Mignolet
    Azpilicueta--?--McCarthy (J)----Rose
    Diamé--Schneiderlin
    McManaman--Michu---Coutinho
    Benteke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

De Gea, Luiz, mata and Lukaku all cost £20m+. I don't think any are worth substantially more then what was paid for them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

At Villa Benteke, Weimann, Westwood, Lowton and Guzan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Brad Guzan was let go for free and resigned last summer ? An infinite percentage increase in value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Begovic

Coleman
    Rafeal
    Ivanovic (Priceless to Chelsea)

Bale
    Mata
    McManaman
    Michu
    Hazzard

Lukaku
    Benteke

Id say Baines easily added 5mill to his price tag this season. He's been immense. Mata also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Begovic

Coleman
    Rafeal
    Ivanovic (Priceless to Chelsea)

Bale
    Mata
    McManaman
    Michu
    Hazzard

Lukaku
    Benteke

Id say Baines easily added 5mill to his price tag this season. He's been immense. Mata also.
    How much did Hazard cost Chelsea ? €32 million? Would anyone really pay significantly more than that 1 season later ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Baffling lack of Guzan from non-Villa fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mignolet
    Zabaleta-Chico-Vertonghen-Shaw
    McCarthy-Dembele
    --Mata
    Michu
    Cazorla
    Benteke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Mignolet
    Azpilicueta----Koscielny----Evans
    Rose
    Schneiderlin
    Diame
    McCarthy
    Michu
    Maloney
    Benteke

I'm not sure why people are still mentioning Mata, he's performing at a level that you'd expect from a £24m+ player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Mignolet
    Lowton Evans Nastasic Davies
    Dembele Schneiderlin
    De Guzman Lallana Weimann
    Benteke

De Guzman is on loan but am sure they'll be looking for more money after a decent season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Guzan
    Coleman
    Kos
    Evans
    Baines
    Diame
    Michu
    Schnerderlin
    Bale
    McManamam
    Benteke

How do players who were bought for 20m+ feature here? All of the above were signed for pennies are probably worth numerous times what they were bought for.

If someone goes from being a 20 million pound player to a 45 million pound player then that's more than a 3 million player going for 8/9 million.

How hard is that to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Two Irish players for me would be David Meyler and Paddy Madden.I hope Bohs have a sell on clause for Madden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Coutinho has probably doubled in value in 6 months, I'd probably have him there:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GK: Emiliano Viviano

RB: Juan Guillermo Cuadrado
    CB: Mehdi Benatia
    CB: Angelo Ogbonna
    LB: Mattia De Sciglio

CM: Borja Valero
    CM: Paul Pogba
    CM: Blerim Dzemaili

RF: Alessio Cerci
    CF: Luis Muriel
    LF: Stephan El Shaarawy

I think all of those players are valued considerably higher now than they were at the start of the season.

[edit]

Just swapped Alessandro Diamanti for Paul Pogba, who considering he cost buttons in compensation last year and is now worth around €15-€20 million, is an obvious inclusion and I can't believe I forgot him.

[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LiamoSail wrote: »
    De Gea, Luiz, mata and Lukaku all cost £20m+. I don't think any are worth substantially more then what was paid for them now
    Mata is imo. I think he has gone into the top 10 in the world right now and at his young age is worth probably £50 million now.

I agree about the others. Lukaku's value has certainly risen over the last 12 months but I don't think that rise is that significant. He has shown that he can play at Premier League level, now he has to prove he can do it under pressure for a top club.

De Gea might not be valued at the money paid for him right now even though he did play well for most of the season. For me he still has some question marks with the high cross.

I am very surprised to see people suggest that Luiz is worth more, I just don't see it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If someone goes from being a 20 million pound player to a 45 million pound player then that's more than a 3 million player going for 8/9 million.

De Gea isn't a 45m player. I wouldn't pay any more than what Fergie paid for him (17m odd?), so his value hasn't really increased at all. Rather, he's starting to justify his rather large price tag.

De Gea isn't a 45m player. I wouldn't pay any more than what Fergie paid for him (17m odd?), so his value hasn't really increased at all. Rather, he's starting to justify his rather large price tag.

I'd say he's worth more than that now but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A big shout out for Chicharito and Rafael.

Biased, of course... so I'm going to go with Bebe too. :pac:

I'd say he's worth more than that now but each to their own.

Very few goalkeepers are worth more than that kind of money. Buffon, Casillas,.....I'd struggle past those two in their primes (Buffons worth that even now). Not De Gea though, he hasn't even been the best keeper in the league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Because a 200% increase in value is greater than a 100% increase in value?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mata's value hasn't gone up /that/ much either in my opinion, he was class last season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Very few goalkeepers are worth more than that kind of money. Buffon, Casillas,.....I'd struggle past those two in their primes (Buffons worth that even now). Not De Gea though, he hasn't even been the best keeper in the league this season.

Who's been better as a matter of interest? De Gea is easily the most valuable goalkeeper in the world now I'd say, Courtois might come reasonably close but outside those 2 I can't think of a keeper that would be worth the big money.

Actually forgot Neuer. Silly me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

And whos value has has done that? Mata's value has no doubt increased, but I don't think luiz or de Gea would go for much more then what was paid for them, while lukaku's value has obviously increased, but one decent season with WBA doesn't mean he's suddenly worth £45m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Fernando Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Begovic

---Azpilicueta--A.Williams--Vertonghen----Davies

McCarthy

----McManaman
    Michu
    Bale

Benteke
    Lambert

Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

miglonet
    rafael
    nastasic
    vertongan----rose

diame
    schnederlain

michu

suarez
    benteke
    bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

redzerdrog wrote: »
    ---diame

Diame went for free but that wasn't his true market value so he doesn't count. He only went on a free because he wouldn't sign a new contract and knew he would get big wages.

Besides, he's had quite a mediocre season by his standards anyway. He was better last year.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Who's been better as a matter of interest? De Gea is easily the most valuable goalkeeper in the world now I'd say, Courtois might come reasonably close but outside those 2 I can't think of a keeper that would be worth the big money.

Mignolet for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Reekwind wrote: »
    Because a 200% increase in value is greater than a 100% increase in value?

Alright you can have your 200% increase in value on a £3m player, I'll take the 100% increase in value on the £25m player... enjoy your extra percentage points

My arse is De Gea the most valuable keeper in the world. You're giving age far too much consideration here because it is keepers we are talking about, they can play hot shít into their late 30s. Despite the major loving of De Gea on this forum for the past few months, he's definitely not the best keeper in the world nor is he the most valuable.

jive wrote: »
    My arse is De Gea the most valuable keeper in the world. You're giving age far too much consideration here because it is keepers we are talking about, they can play hot shít into their late 30s. Despite the major loving of De Gea on this forum for the past few months, he's definitely not the best keeper in the world nor is he the most valuable.

Well he's cost the 2nd most of any keeper ever, is the youngest first choice at pretty much every team in the premier league, the most expensive keeper ever is getting on so wont hold that value. He showed against Real that he can step up to the big games along with numerous point saving saves throughout the season.

A lot of people still base their opinion on the ridiculous sky sports vendetta against him, as shown by the fact above that Mignolet was better than him this season. You've just made a broad statement that probably supports my point, keepers play until their late 30s and he's playing at a high level in his early 20s, having gained his first team of the season in his 2nd year in the league. Yet people still proclaim keepers who have never played under anywhere near the pressure he has as better because they have more shots taken on them.

Anyone who saw Koscielny last season wouldn't think his value went up much this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Morzadec wrote: »
    In pure value terms I think you'd have to have Suarez and Bale in there.

Suarez has gone from a £30/35m player to a £45/50m player.

Bale will have made a similar leap.

In terms of percentage of previous value obviously there are better candidates (e.g. Michu from £3m to maybe £12m, a quadrupling of value), but in pure value terms I would say Suarez and Bale would probably blow everyone out of the water.

Also, if you counted Courtois he would have to take the goalkeeper slot. He would command a huge fee now for a goalkeeper imo.

I think the scumbaggary suarez got himself caught up in would keep his price around the 30 mill mark. There is too much baggage

Well he's cost the 2nd most of any keeper ever, is the youngest first choice at pretty much every team in the premier league, the most expensive keeper ever is getting on so wont hold that value. He showed against Real that he can step up to the big games along with numerous point saving saves throughout the season.

A lot of people still base their opinion on the ridiculous sky sports vendetta against him, as shown by the fact above that Mignolet was better than him this season. You've just made a broad statement that probably supports my point, keepers play until their late 30s and he's playing at a high level in his early 20s, having gained his first team of the season in his 2nd year in the league. Yet people still proclaim keepers who have never played under anywhere near the pressure he has as better because they have more shots taken on them.

Just because he cost the 2nd most in an inflated market doesn't mean there aren't other keepers who are more valuable. He showed against Real what everyone already knew, he's a great shot stopper. He's also showed against many other teams, such as Spurs, that he flaps at every high ball under any kind of pressure.

I base my opinion on watching him not on what pundits on Sky Sports think, although I put a lot of weight in what Neville has to say. I'm not going to list a bunch of keepers I deem to be more valuable or get in to any in depth argument about fictional price tags because we'd bore each other to death. De Gea was dropped by Fergie himself before Christmas and he wasn't even in Spain's squad for the Euro's nor has he even been capped at senior international level as far as I'm aware. He's not that good, he might be eventually but right now he's just not, in my opinion. If people think that a good run of form for 4 months while United smashed teams in the Premier League makes him the most valuable keeper in the world then all the power to them... I 100% disagree that he is the most valuable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Two Irish players for me would be David Meyler and Paddy Madden.I hope Bohs have a sell on clause for Madden.

Madden's already been sold by the club he went abroad to, Carlisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Sam Byram, Leeds. Sam had his first taste of first team action against Farsley Celtic in pre-season. I wouldn't say many expected him to be thrown straight into the first team for the upcoming season as he hadn't been in the team yet and Warnock had been buying a lot of experienced Championship players.

Fast forward to the end of the season,
    Wins Fans' POTY and Players' POTY and has been liked with a move to Arsenal, Everton, Man City and Liverpool for around £8m.

jive wrote: »
    Just because he cost the 2nd most in an inflated market doesn't mean there aren't other keepers who are more valuable. He showed against Real what everyone already knew, he's a great shot stopper. He's also showed against many other teams, such as Spurs, that he flaps at every high ball under any kind of pressure.

I base my opinion on watching him not on what pundits on Sky Sports think, although I put a lot of weight in what Neville has to say. I'm not going to list a bunch of keepers I deem to be more valuable or get in to any in depth argument about fictional price tags because we'd bore each other to death. De Gea was dropped by Fergie himself before Christmas and he wasn't even in Spain's squad for the Euro's nor has he even been capped at senior international level as far as I'm aware. He's not that good, he might be eventually but right now he's just not, in my opinion. If people think that a good run of form for 4 months while United smashed teams in the Premier League makes him the most valuable keeper in the world then all the power to them... I 100% disagree that he is the most valuable though.

Surely there'll be loads of examples put up by people online of him flapping at all of these crosses then? I'm struggling to think of many that other goalkeepers wouldn't have struggled with in the entire 2nd half of the season. Who do you think is more valuable since you are yet to mention any? He has been great for a year and a half now, not 4 months.

Surely there'll be loads of examples put up by people online of him flapping at all of these crosses then? I'm struggling to think of many that other goalkeepers wouldn't have struggled with in the entire 2nd half of the season. Who do you think is more valuable since you are yet to mention any? He has been great for a year and a half now, not 4 months.

Why would people put up a highlight reel of a keeper flapping at crosses? Are you honestly debating whether he is good or not under high ball? I'm not going to search youtube to post up videos of him doing poorly from crosses, it's fairly widely accepted even by the most hardcore United fans that he is inadequate in that department.

Who's more valuable? There's an even younger keeper more valuable than De Gea, Courtois. He won the Zamora award in Spain, set a new Atletico Madrid record for time between the sticks without conceding and is already the number 1 choice for his country ahead of the highly regarded Mignolet. Neuer is far more valuable; he's number 1 keeper for one of the best international teams, has conceded <20 in the league and just 1 goal in the CL knockout stages thus far. Casillas is 30 and Cech just turned 31, both of which I'd rate more highly than De Gea and both of which I believe would command a higher price tag.

People could make a case for Valdes (31), Lloris (26), Akinfeev (27), Hart (25), Begović (26), Mignolet (24) to name a few but I don't personally believe that they would be more valuable (ignoring contract considerations regarding Valdes). De Gea is still 3rd and maybe even 4th choice keeper for Spain so to say he's "easily" the most valuable in the world is laughable, imo.

Like I said, I don't want to get into a discussion about which keepers are more valuable than others because it'd be basically pissing against the wind. I've named 4 who I perceive to be more valuable and another 6 who could command a price similar to what I would expect a club to pay for De Gea. Just because United paid £18m or w/e it was and he has improved since then doesn't mean that he is worth substantially more than that now, that's just what United were willing to pay at the time. You can laugh at some of the suggestions and you're more than welcome to, I won't debate them with you because it's pointless. Based on all available information and my own perception of players abilities, particularly the first 4 keepers listed, De Gea simply isn't the most valuable keeper in the world; top 10 definitely, maybe even top 5, but 100% without doubt not numero uno.

Advertisement