Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€1 for a "pint" of Miwadi??

• 21-05-2013 1:06pm

Is this the norm in your local? €1 for a pint of tap water with a splash of Miwadi for the designated driver? Everyone else in the round having pints. A rip-off or is it the norm countrywide?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Is this the norm in your local? €1 for a pint of tap water with a splash of Miwadi for the designated driver? Everyone else in the round having pints. A rip-off or is it the norm countrywide?

A bit early isn't it?

A bit early isn't it?

Ha! I had the conversation with my sister even earlier than this! You're making me thirsty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Miwadi, water, ice, glass, service, lights, seating, heat, toilet facilities, entertainment and/or atmosphere. Seems like good value to me OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

you're paying for service really, sure isnt it 3e for a coke that prob costs them 50c.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Pretty standard, ur friend is one thats cheap for buying miwadi all night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I've never paid for water or black current.

Ah just wondering what the sort of charge would be....so they weren't ripped off. You'd be afraid to use the toilets in the establishment, and you wouldn't find heat in it in the height of winter, LL is renowned to be too miserly to use the oil. I wasn't the Miwadi drinker, BTW, I wouldn't go to the trouble of organizing a babysitter just to sit with a Miwadi!!! ;)

theidiots wrote: »
    Pretty standard, ur friend is one thats cheap for buying miwadi all night

Unable to drink fizzy drinks, and was the driver, therefore no beer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

decisions wrote: »
    I've never paid for water or black current.

Depends on the venue and their main business in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

You'd be afraid to use the toilets in the establishment, and you wouldn't find heat in it in the height of winter, LL is renowned to be too miserly to use the oil.

Sounds like a great place... :D

• Advertisement

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Sounds like a great place... :D

You can just imagine! VERY Wild West :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Seems reasonable to me. The guy selling the tap water with a splash of Miwadi has plenty of overheads to clear and when you think about it, what do you get for €1 these days anyway?

Wouldn’t buy the stuff myself but I was known to take a few drinks of stronger liquid once upon a time – for many years in fact. Never once did I see the lady who runs the local pub out on the street with a gun, forcing poor tipplers like myself to part with hard-earned cash in her establishment.

Between all the pub chat and the sun outside, I'd love a beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

solas111 wrote: »
    Seems reasonable to me. The guy selling the tap water with a splash of Miwadi has plenty of overheads to clear and when you think about it, what do you get for €1 these days anyway?

Wouldn’t buy the stuff myself but I was known to take a few drinks of stronger liquid once upon a time – for many years in fact. Never once did I see the lady who runs the local pub out on the street with a gun, forcing poor tipplers like myself to part with hard-earned cash in her establishment.

1europage.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i think a euro is quite ok given the ancillary costs in a pub. There were some charging 3€/4€ for a pint a few years ago....that seems excessive..TBH even 2€ would be acceptable. Sure a coke is 2.50/3 in most pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TBH even 2€ would be acceptable.
    €2 is relatively good value. There was a thread about €2 pints of miwadi before. My main point in that thread was
    rubadub wrote: »
    Think of what is fundamentally going on. If this drink was simply prediluted in the factory I do not think we would have nearly as many people complaining. -they would not have the "tap water is free" weirdness going on in their head.

Miwadi-DILUTE 1 PART MIWADI WITH 4 PARTS WATER

so say 568ml in the glass to the brim is 113.6ml of miwadi per pint. They come in 1L bottles so 8.8 dashes per bottle. 1L in tesco is €1.99 so say 22cent per dash. So charging you 9 times the price, or a €1.78 surcharge/profit (this is ignoring all the various other costs/overheads, like some oddballs insist on doing).

Comparing this to other things in pubs, relatively, it sounds like an OK deal to me, many bottles of beer can be got for under a euro these days yet they are €4.50-5.50 in most pubs I go to, so roughly 5-6 times the price, and a lot more than the €1.75 charge on this. A pint of coke in my local costs €8.40.

Coffee & tea. If you go away from percentages and think of it as a fixed surcharge there are probably loads more, like the beer example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

its mad..i mean a bottle of coke for 2.80 is prob less than 50mls of coke syrup mixed with water anyway....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 lomtick

rubadub wrote: »
    If this drink was simply prediluted in the factory I do not think we would have nearly as many people complaining

That is a very good point actually!

I don't mind paying *something* for mi-wadi in a pub; as already stated you are paying for getting to sit in the pub atmosphere, the glass, the water, mi-wadi, wages etc. I used to play on the local golf course every so often a few years back and they charged 40 cent or something for a pint of mi-wadi which I was quite happy to pay! I think 1 euro is fair enough. 2 euro feels like a bit much but compared to a smaller quanitiy of coke etc. for 2.80 or whatever, it probably isn't bad value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't normally charge if it's part of a round or a regular on a 'night off'. I do charge people who just come in to sip one though mainly to avoid them taking advantage of the facilities if they got it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I cant believe people are still complaining about this

• Advertisement

I cant believe people are still complaining about this

I don't see anyone complaining? I simply asked a question. Thanks for the input though.

I don't see anyone complaining? I simply asked a question. Thanks for the input though.

more in general. as someone already said €1 is quite generous, count your lucky stars

Oops, sorry SureYWouldntYa. As I said, it wasn't me that was peeved, I wouldn't waste pub time by sitting there with a miwadi ;). So, to sum it up, €1 is more or less the norm countrywide. Thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I gave up the drink last year so I'm usually the guy drinking a pint of blackcurrant. There is something people in this thread and some publicans don't seem to get, someone drinking blackcurrant is much more likely to be doing the driving eg. bringing people to your establishment. Charge me 1-2 quid each time I want a blackcurrant and you can be sure that they will lose more than that by not having the 3-4 drinkers I've driven to the pub.

I gave up the drink last year so I'm usually the guy drinking a pint of blackcurrant. There is something people in this thread and some publicans don't seem to get, someone drinking blackcurrant is much more likely to be doing the driving eg. bringing people to your establishment. Charge me 1-2 quid each time I want a blackcurrant and you can be sure that they will lose more than that by not having the 3-4 drinkers I've driven to the pub.

a lot of the time you'll find in that situation its staff who charge for the pint and not whoever runs the place. the €1/2 charge for the pint is probably a flat charge and staff wont know what to do sometimes. if it is whoever is the boss, a good boss he aint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I don't normally charge if it's part of a round or a regular on a 'night off'. I do charge people who just come in to sip one though mainly to avoid them taking advantage of the facilities if they got it for free.
    I do the same. Every now and then two lads come in and just order pints of lime. That's fair enough I don't care what you drink, but when that's all they got all night we started charging them (we charge 50c btw!). After a while we noticed one of them had gone to the shop and gotten himself a large carpri-sun. FFS, how cheap can you get? He was told to buy a drink or get out. We are not here to provide free entertainment or babysit ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Some people are so tight its unbelievable, not willing to pay a euro for a drink. Jeez stay at home in that case:confused:

I should have clarified it was the LL that charged. The staff don't charge for it.

Advertisement