Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't my dogs trying to chase my hens?

• 21-05-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

A question for anyone who might like to offer a theory on this...

I got three chickens recently and I was fully expecting my two dogs to go absolutely bonkers. They're gun dogs and will instinctively set and chase any bird they come across. They also set and chase my two cats when they're out on the garden, but turn into affectionate slobs when they're all in the kitchen together.

They have almost zero interest in the chickens though. They'll go over to the run occasionally for a sniff and a look. I've started letting the chickens out to free roam in the evenings and the dogs are sort of interested, but they keep their distance and just generally don't bother the hens. They have no problem with me picking up the hens either, but if I pick up a cat they're all over me.

One theory I have is that the hens don't run, therefore there's no instinct for the dogs to chase them. But I would've thought that they'd still set them? :confused:

I'm delighted about this of course, and I would never trust them together unsupervised, but it's making me really curious. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

Shhhhhh

actually saying that , i have 2 gun dogs and a parrot. THey dont even acknowledge the parrot. He doesnt exist. However the husky cant take his eyes off him when he is in that room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lucky you! Maybe the fact that the hens are in the run, they know that they are off bounds? The hens obviously dont look/smell like something they instinctively recognise as prey? What do they normally hunt?

Ive got two JRT x's. The stupid young dog is afraid of the hens, the hens know it :eek: and peck him as he passes them :o The old collie has always been around hens, and ignores them completely.My old dog has always been 'trained' not to go hear the hens - hes got 'red haze' when it comes to hunting something, but hes never touched the girls. When both JRTs were puppies, I put them on leashes and did a bit of tough love stuff with the hens - its worked, everyone safe in the garden free ranging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I had hens and dogs and the hens were allowed free run of the garden the dogs never bothered them and the top bird even used to try and sneak a peck at their dinner - I just put it down to how we accepted the hens so the dogs did too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

We have dogs and free roaming chickens and rarely have a problem with dogs brought up with the chickens visiting friends dogs are a very different story.

Dogs and chickens is a two part problem, the first part is that the chickens make themselves a target by getting scared as soon as they see the dogs. Chickens that ignore the dogs solves half the problem so if the OP has calm laid back hens that could be half the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

aonb, my dogs aren't working dogs, they're spoiled pets, but they both have the basic instinct to hunt prey, especially birds. I assumed they'd see the hens as prey.

eirator, you might be spot on - my hens are very laid back and aren't in the least bit bothered when my dogs come up and sniff them. I had them out in the garden at lunchtime with the dogs, all happily milling around together. One of the hens got a bit jumpy for some reason and my dog Henry decided it was playtime and started chasing her. No harm done luckily, but I can see situations like that escalating quickly if I wasn't there to intervene.

OP one time when you really want to watch them and keep them apart is if you have an ill hen. Most dogs can spot this a mile off and may kill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

they're plotting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

dear original poster... count your hens lucky... our dog killed them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

My Granddad used to have a dog which had to be tied up when the chickens were left out after a few fatal incidents, and the birds knew to stay away. But the clever yoke used to dig a hole next to his food bowl, not eat his food, and lie in his hole until a chicken came to pick at his food.
    At the same time, he had another dog which didn't touch the birds, so it all depends on the dog I reckon.

• Advertisement

We have a broody on eggs at the moment and we have to keep the dogs away from her as they always seem very interested in broody's, might be because they like picking up and eating the odd free range egg and know the broody is sitting on a few tasty snacks.

My Granddad used to have a dog which had to be tied up when the chickens were left out after a few fatal incidents, and the birds knew to stay away. But the clever yoke used to dig a hole next to his food bowl, not eat his food, and lie in his hole until a chicken came to pick at his food.

lol!
    That's brilliant
    I mean not for the chicken, but that's some strategising :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

But the clever yoke used to dig a hole next to his food bowl, not eat his food, and lie in his hole until a chicken came to pick at his food.
    At the same time, he had another dog which didn't touch the birds, so it all depends on the dog I reckon.

Nice!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

A couple of years ago I was camping on a semi-abandoned island of the west coast. One of my dogs spotted a hen before I did and made a dash for her. The dog wasn't barking, she wasn't just having the craic, she went for that hen with murder on her mind. She ignored me as I called and called and whistled and screamed. I watched in horror, waiting for the cloud of feathers and blood and guts.
    The hen turned to glance at the dog and went back to scratching in the weeds. The dog slowed to a walk, then stopped. I've never seen an animal look so embarrassed.
    I think we all learned a valuable lesson that day.

When I was a child I had a staffie who would let the hens corner him and peck his toenails until one of us rescued him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Shhhhhh

I'm sorry, but that just made me giggle! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The hen turned to glance at the dog and went back to scratching in the weeds. The dog slowed to a walk, then stopped. I've never seen an animal look so embarrassed.

That's pretty much how my dogs are around the hens. As long as the hens ignore them, the dogs will just stand around awkwardly and watch. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

nevermind...

Advertisement