If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV RECEIVER / 5.1 SPEAKER OFFER

Options
  • 21-05-2013 2:16pm
    Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

showimage.php?image=310732.jpg&max_width=555&max_height=555
    Cambridge Audio 651R

Boardies,

I have 2 top of the range Cambridge Audio AV receivers which we received as samples that I would like to clear.

the 1st is the CA 351R http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/cambridge-audio/azur-351r/camb-351r-blk

As anyone who know their Audio will know Cambridge Audio products are designed purely on the principles of audio quality and discard any frippery when it comes to unnecessary features - so these beasts really SOUND great!

The 351a retails at £499.95 and is excellent value at that price - I have one unit to clear (will be boxed as new with full warranty and all accessories) and I'll clear it at £349.95 / €419.99 which is 30% discount!

Alternatively if you would like a complete package - I'll partner it with a Monitor Audio Vector package ( which retailed at over £500!) for just £599.95 / €699.99.

I also have one of the Cambridge Audio 651R http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/cambridge-audio/azur-651r/camb-651r-blk - now this is a real power-house (100Watts at 8 Ohms a channel * 7!) - to be honest under £1,500 you will struggle to find a better sounding receiver!

The 651R retails at a meaty £1,199.95 - again the one I have I can clear at £769.95 / €929.99 or again if you would like a super duper dealette I'll put it with a Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 system which is a What Hi-fi 5 star award winner at £800 http://www.whathifi.com/review/mass

The 651R / Mass combo just sounds A M A Z I N G ( as any £2000 system should do!!)

If you wanted to go for the 651R / MASS combo - I'll do it at £1299.95 / €1599.99 which is about 35% off..

As ever it's 1st come 1st served - if you would like to grab one of these deals please just drop us a PM or an email with your contact details and I'll get one of the guys to give you a call to get the delivery arranged,

Thanks as ever,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Silver Serpent

Hi,

Is the 351R still available?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

Is the 351R still available?
    Yep I have one demo sample unit as new left to clear,

Just drop us a pm with your contact details if you would like to reserve it and we will give you a shout to get the delivery details,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Ok, thanks John. PM sent.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Ok, thanks John. PM sent.

Hi Silver,

Good speaking to you.

Amp is all packed and ready to leave tomorrow :)

Chris

Ok, thanks for the great service Chris.

Looking forward to receiving it :)

• Advertisement

Ok, thanks for the great service Chris.

Looking forward to receiving it
    Hey Silver Serpent.

Hopefully by now you have got you order and its up and running.

Should you have any setup questions please just ask.

Hey Silver Serpent.

Hopefully by now you have got you order and its up and running.

Should you have any setup questions please just ask.
    Hi there,

Order received safe and sound and it's hooked up and running.

It packs a fair punch with a powerful delivery. Really good with movies and music.

One thing I found odd though when setting the speaker levels using an SPL Meter, was the fronts and surrounds came out the same (-7db). This wasn't the case with the previous receivers I've had as the surrounds were always a few db lower.

The center channel came out at -3 db which is the same distance to the listening position as the fronts. A 4db difference was a bit strange aswell I thought, as again, with other receivers I've had there would only ever be about 0.5 - 1db in it.

As a whole though it sounds fine.

Cheers.

Hi there,

Order received safe and sound and it's hooked up and running.

It packs a fair punch with a powerful delivery. Really good with movies and music.

One thing I found odd though when setting the speaker levels using an SPL Meter, was the fronts and surrounds came out the same (-7db). This wasn't the case with the previous receivers I've had as the surrounds were always a few db lower.

The center channel came out at -3 db which is the same distance to the listening position as the fronts. A 4db difference was a bit strange aswell I thought, as again, with other receivers I've had there would only ever be about 0.5 - 1db in it.

As a whole though it sounds fine.

Cheers.

Hi Silver,

That's very strange.  Looks like the mic have been a little bit off when working out distances.  

You can manually change the levels which I always find is best to do after a mic set up as sometimes they can be a little bit off.

Chris

Hi Silver,

That's very strange.  Looks like the mic have been a little bit off when working out distances.  

You can manually change the levels which I always find is best to do after a mic set up as sometimes they can be a little bit off.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

It was a manual setup I did, with a Radioshack SPL meter. I didn't use the auto-cal mic.

My front speakers are different to my center and surrounds though, but they are all the same make.

I'm using Mission 775E Fronts with a Mission 75C Center and 2 more 75C's as surrounds. The 75C is a better center than the 77C and the whole system works well together.

The Fronts are 8ohm and the center and surrounds 6ohm, but I can't see how that would make any difference with regards the different db readings as there was never any difference with other receivers used.

I'll try another manual setup again to see if the readings remain the same and I'll see if I can fit in an autocal some night to see if there is any difference there.

Hi Chris,

It was a manual setup I did, with a Radioshack SPL meter. I didn't use the auto-cal mic.

My front speakers are different to my center and surrounds though, but they are all the same make.

I'm using Mission 775E Fronts with a Mission 75C Center and 2 more 75C's as surrounds. The 75C is a better center than the 77C and the whole system works well together.

The Fronts are 8ohm and the center and surrounds 6ohm, but I can't see how that would make any difference with regards the different db readings as there was never any difference with other receivers used.

I'll try another manual setup again to see if the readings remain the same and I'll see if I can fit in an autocal some night to see if there is any difference there.

Hi again,

That's a strange one alright.  

Let me know how the manual set up goes.  May have to do some investigating on this one.

Chris

• Advertisement

Hi again,

That's a strange one alright.  

Let me know how the manual set up goes.  May have to do some investigating on this one.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Did another manual setup last night and surrounds came out different this time, -5db SL and -4db SR, compared to -7db for both when I did it first time.

The levels as a whole then are:

FL -7db
    FR -7db
    SL -5db
    SR -4db
    C   -3db

Calibrated to 75db.

Listening to the tones by ear, they did sound of equal volume though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Chris,

Did another manual setup last night and surrounds came out different this time, -5db SL and -4db SR, compared to -7db for both when I did it first time.

The levels as a whole then are:

FL -7db
    FR -7db
    SL -5db
    SR -4db
    C   -3db

Calibrated to 75db.

Listening to the tones by ear, they did sound of equal volume though.

Hi Silver,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Very strange these keep coming in at different levels.  May need to speak to CA to see if this is something they've come across before.  

Chris

Hi Silver,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Very strange these keep coming in at different levels.  May need to speak to CA to see if this is something they've come across before.  

Chris
    Ok, thanks for that Chris.

I did another manual calibration just now to see if there was any change, but the levels remained the same as the previous calibration this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Silver. Earlier on today, I was talking to Chis about this issue.

With such small differences (+/- 1dB) this can be caused by variances in the room, distance and height of the meter from the speakers and tolerances in the speakers and variations in the meter.

I would guess that going from experience, this is not an issue but if you are concerned you can post on the Cambridge forum and get a response from them directly.

Keep us posted if we can help any further.

ATB

Dave

Hi Silver. Earlier on today, I was talking to Chis about this issue.

With such small differences (+/- 1dB) this can be caused by variances in the room, distance and height of the meter from the speakers and tolerances in the speakers and variations in the meter.

I would guess that going from experience, this is not an issue but if you are concerned you can post on the Cambridge forum and get a response from them directly.

Keep us posted if we can help any further.

ATB

Dave
    Ok, thanks for that Dave.

Using the manual calibration as a base, I've been tweaking the levels over the last few days by ear, using actual content, and I have it more or less spot on now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.