Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

This is Joe Craig's interview with Niall Boylan 12 mins 25MB can be downloaded for 30 days. Hope its OK to put here

https://uploadfiles.io/yua5j

would anyone on here with the capabilities be able to turn that audio into a youtube video for me?

Im not into this for any personal glory and I hate the sound of my own voice I only went on because Ann felt uncomfortable to do so.

but I want to have this on record to share for the sake of the campaign and not just have it available as a facebook link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    would anyone on here with the capabilities be able to turn that audio into a youtube video for me?

Im not into this for any personal glory and I hate the sound of my own voice I only went on because Ann felt uncomfortable to do so.

but I want to have this on record to share for the sake of the campaign and not just have it available as a facebook link

Do you want an image on the video? Titles? PM me

PM incoming Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Post the link on this thread please?

Post the link on this thread please?

no problem, Please share far and wide

@FrancieBrady Well done

@FrancieBrady Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

they dont know his name but said they could identify him if they saw him again, the story always was that they rowed into Ballyshannon , again something I will have to look at

Sorry for the questions:

Was it a guard, the person they say they handed the cardigan over to?

And are these two fishing a different two than the two who saw nothing originally and then one of them claimed to have seen Mary being driven away in a red VW beetle?

Because you now have a story about a red VW at the scene with Mary in it, that was allegedly reported to the Gardai at the time, and also a cardigan allegedly found at the time.

And neither have ever been mentioned once by the Gardai in the course of decades of numerous public appeals about the disappearance.

This is the second allegation being made that Gardai were informed about particular events, neither of which, according to those who are making the claims, were ever followed up on.

I don't know how credible any of this is, the claims themselves or the ongoing lack of garda response or investigation into these claims.

Are these claims genuine at all or are they being made to throw Gardai OFF the scent?

To place Mary away from the field and the house and closer to the road?

The Gardai bit their lips and maintained radio silence after it was claimed that they'd been told about the VW. The claim effectively was that they'd been given a lead but chose not to investigate it.

They didn't contradict or accept that. Nothing.

What's the betting the cardigan will get the same treatment. Say nothing and it will go away, OR, the Guards are not being distracted by it.

Thoughts?

Just because the gardai do not comment does not mean they are not looking into the VW and now cardigan

Just because the gardai do not comment does not mean they are not looking into the VW and now cardigan

Normally I'd agree, but I thought the VW was complete hot air.

The waiting 40 years to make such an explicit allegation in complete contrast to what they've said to any reporter in the interim.

Same with this cardigan. First anyone hears of it is in 2017.

• Advertisement

dense wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree, but I thought the VW was complete hot air.

The waiting 40 years to make such an explicit allegation in complete contrast to what they've said to any reporter in the interim.

Same with this cardigan. First anyone hears of it is in 2017.
    The two guys who found the cardigan handed it up and came forward when they saw gemma's film. They had assumed it was being dealt with. Listen to the interview FrancieBrady linked about 9 mins in

The two guys who found the cardigan handed it up and came forward when they saw gemma's film. They had assumed it was being dealt with. Listen to the interview FrancieBrady linked about 9 mins in

Will do, I just can't listen to it at the moment. Thanks

to clear things up on the "red VW "

there was 3 eye witnesses to the comings and goings on the road that day, the 2 poachers on the boat, and a tree surgeon working on the "main" road

all 3 said n their statements they saw 3 cars that day, no mention of a VW Beetle whatsoever.

Fast forward a number of years and the tree surgeon has passed away, and in a later interview Pj Coughlan AKA "Happy Harry" claims that he saw a red VW beetle being driven away with Mary inside but "didn't think to mention this to the Gards because they already had a suspect". He says that he visited the house where Mary disappeared IFIRC in the late 80s and told her of this .. only problem there is that the house had lain empty since the grandfather died a year or 2 after Mary went missing and the Grandmother was living 2 hours drive away in Marys own home in Keadue, Co Donegal

Fast forward another couple of Years and "Happy Harry" tells his story to the Star .. meanwhile the other anglers niece comments on a Facebook posting of the Story saying "her Uncle was there that day, saw no Red VW Beetle and his story has never changed"

Im sorry but I cant take this mans change of story seriously at all

Saw the Sunday World storey. Any developments?

Story not storey sorry, can't edit for some reason

the gardai still haven't spoken to the witness in England a week after saying they would, the witness that gave a statement in Donegal gave a very long detailed statement and is certain that it was handed to a gard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

Did this case get much media attention at the time and in the years after ? It seems to have been very low profile compared to the Philip Ciarns case which got frequent media coverage right through the 90s. I don't think I heard of Mary Boyle until the solved and unsolved documentary in 2000ish.

Phat Dick wrote: »
    Did this case get much media attention at the time and in the years after ? It seems to have been very low profile compared to the Philip Ciarns case which got frequent media coverage right through the 90s. I don't think I heard of Mary Boyle until the solved and unsolved documentary in 2000ish.

it did at the time and sporadically down through the years, there would be the odd documentary every few years and newspaper articles.

Not enough in my opinion but I don't think that is because of any conspiracy, but still half the people I speak to in Donegal haven't heard of Mary or her case, contrast that with Madeline McCann and other cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

it did at the time and sporadically down through the years, there would be the odd documentary every few years and newspaper articles.

Not enough in my opinion but I don't think that is because of any conspiracy, but still half the people I speak to in Donegal haven't heard of Mary or her case, contrast that with Madeline McCann and other cases
    My mother, God rest her, used to pray for Mary every night and tell us to do likewise.

• Advertisement

in about 93 or 94 there was a story in the star or sun or some tabloid. One of my friends wrote some song words about her as a result but he got sick and never did anything with them

In 93 or 94 there was a story in one of the tabloids. a friend of mine wrote a song lyric about it but he became ill and did not do anything with it. Very surprised some in Donegal have not heard of her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I came across a post on politics.ie that had links to two or three old documentaries about the case, but I couldn't find the post in question when I tried to look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

I read an interview in RSVP magazine with Margo O'Donnell and she mentioned that she no longer sees any of her brothers or sisters. Is that because of this campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

julyjane wrote: »
    I read an interview in RSVP magazine with Margo O'Donnell and she mentioned that she no longer sees any of her brothers or sisters. Is that because of this campaign?

Probably not as she is a member of the extended family and I don't think her own immediate family are involved.

julyjane wrote: »

is this out just now?

to answer you, no it isn't, I honestly don't know why she fell out with them and I only knew she had fallen out with Daniel
    as the poster above mentions the O Donnells are distant relatives, Our grannies were cousins, or something along those lines but as it was a small island they grew up on I suppose everyone was like an extended family I have never met Margo for example and I've only met Daniel twice, first after he sang in the local chapel when I was over on holiday as a Kid before he ever had a record out, and about a decade ago when I was working on his house he arrived and I ntroduced myself and he knew my famliy and had a very short conversation.

Did Margo mention Mary at all in the interview at all, I am really appreciative that she kept the hunt for truth going all through these decades, but I think her head has been turned off late by certain people & she should now enjoy her retirement.

Hopefully, now we have something tangible printed by the mainstream media that this case can gain more traction on that front,
    Certainly, it puts an end to the lie that the MSM are colluding in some way not to report it.

Gemma O Doherty hasnt mentioned the case anywhere that I can see at all since the revelation of the cardigan being found, so hopefully, she has moved on and lets us as a family campaign as we wish without outside manipulation and we can thank her for documentary and wish her well in her future works.

• Advertisement

Creol1 wrote: »
    I came across a post on politics.ie that had links to two or three old documentaries about the case, but I couldn't find the post in question when I tried to look there.

politics.ie had a thread as big as this one id say, before the documentary came out, which I had only started reading, unfortunately, due to people forever posting names & arguing etc it was locked and seems to have been deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

politics.ie had a thread as big as this one id say, before the documentary came out, which I had only started reading, unfortunately, due to people forever posting names & arguing etc it was locked and seems to have been deleted

Is it this thread Oranbhoy67?http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/248930-there-cover-up-mary-boyle-case.html

chasm wrote: »

yes, that looks like it, thanks!

my browser won't let me on any other page though, ill try it through the mobile browser

*Edit*
    got it working now I just had to clear cookies

And it's gone again , and doing the same on my mobile browser, pity too as I'd like to read it, I have no other issues online at all but I'll try a different browser too see if I have any more luck

finally managed to read thru the last few months of posts on that forum on my "edge" browser, It doesn't seem to like chrome.

Its painfully obvious who the poster "cillit bang" is in real life.. and just like the person who I think it is, they also haven't posted anything about Mary on there since the revelation of the cardigan being found 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

who is "cillit bang" ? seems very pro gemma and argumentative. pm if you do not want post

Politics.ie works fine on firefox https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/ make sure to get the 32 bit one if your pc is 32 bit and 64 bit if 64

in fairness it was gemma's doc that alerted the two cardigan men as i understand events

in fairness it was gemma's doc that alerted the two cardigan men as i understand events

I wont take away from Gemmas doc for re-igniting interest in Marys case, but a lot of her behaviour since has been deeply suspect, including telling the guy who contacted her from the 2 that found the cardigan that their evidence wasn't worth going to the gards with and that their info would indeed hamper the case, it was only lucky someone else alerted us about this a year later.

Her silence on the matter since has also been deafening. Surely she should be happy now that the Mainstream media have been reporting on it?

As for who "Cillit Bang" is? well I cant say for certain but it seems pretty obvious to me.

I wont take away from Gemmas doc for re-igniting interest in Marys case, but a lot of her behaviour since has been deeply suspect, including telling the guy who contacted her from the 2 that found the cardigan that their evidence wasn't worth going to the gards with and that their info would indeed hamper the case, it was only lucky someone else alerted us about this a year later.

Her silence on the matter since has also been deafening. Surely she should be happy now that the Mainstream media have been reporting on it?
    Didn't know that that finishes any little respect i had for her

Any news? Gemma says "Ex sergeant Martin Collins has once again stated that Ann Boyle knows what happened to her daughter " but i only see her statement. Did he give another interview to her or someone else

Any news? Gemma says "Ex sergeant Martin Collins has once again stated that Ann Boyle knows what happened to her daughter " but i only see her statement. Did he give another interview to her or someone else

I spoke to Sgt Collins recently for the first time ever, he is stung by what he feels was the criticism of colleague(s) in the documentary. And said he has now "washed his hands clean of the case"

But he left me in no doubt of who he KNOWS killed Mary that day and needless to say that nothing has changed in my opinion now on that front, hearing it from himself has only strengthened my resolve.

We are having a Peaceful vigil outside the Donegal Coroners office on Saturday, March the 10th, its Millbrae Surgery, Stranolar, County Donegal and all are welcome, we will be there from 10 AM - 1 PM, we will hand in a private letter to Dr McCauley asking him again that he convene an inquest into what happened to Mary ASAP and we will also be handing a printed off version of an online petition that we have been running to try and get him to start said inquest .

For a link to the petition - please sign and share
    https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-mary-boyle-call-on-donegal-coroner-dr-denis-mccauley-to-convene-an-inquest-into-mary-boyle-s-death

I spoke to Sgt Collins recently for the first time ever, he is stung by what he feels was the criticism of colleague(s) in the documentary. And said he has now "washed his hands clean of the case"

A retired garda, with deep knowledge of the case, is highly upset that his buddies have got some harsh criticism over how they ALL blundered through the case at the time.

So, a way to make things right for everyone involved is for him now to "wash his hands clean of the case".

His loyalty to the force is highly commendable, even decades later.

It's no surprise that the public has washed it's hands clean of the chaotic self serving culture of the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

oranbhoy67 wrote:
    That's simply not good enough from an ex member of the force who worked on the case.
    It's not about his or his colleagues feelings it's about justice for a little girl.

why did he take part in the documentary so? Surely he knew what he was saying, does he feel his views were in some way misrepresented or taken out of context by the editing?

I think it's time for Mary's mother to come out and say what she knows. She is the key in all this.

• Advertisement

why did he take part in the documentary so?

Darn good question.

He felt that he could do some good possibly?
    But now he's let a lot of people down.

He doesn't seem to have thought things out very well at all.

He was once seen as a knight in shining armour on the cusp of actually doing something other than engaging in the usual "vehicle-speak" so beloved of the uniform.

He could have made representations to the Garda Commissioner, the Minister, the Coroner, but didn't.

He and the gardai appear as rabbits caught in the headlights now, looking for a hole in a ditch to hide in.

And there's no point in him whinging and blaming O Doherty either, she's a tiny cog in this whole affair.

I think it's time for Mary's mother to come out and say what she knows. She is the key in all this.

Why would she? At this stage???

It's time for the gardai to act.

Why would she? At this stage???

It's time for the gardai to act.
    She seems to know what they don't. She is very silent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

She seems to know what they don't. She is very silent.

They know too

They know too
    They may suspect but she was at the farm the day Mary went missing.
    The answer is within the family imo.

Darn good question.

He felt that he could do some good possibly?
    But now he's let a lot of people down.

He doesn't seem to have thought things out very well at all.

He was once seen as a knight in shining armour on the cusp of actually doing something other than engaging in the usual "vehicle-speak" so beloved of the uniform.

He could have made representations to the Garda Commissioner, the Minister, the Coroner, but didn't.

He and the gardai appear as rabbits caught in the headlights now, looking for a hole in a ditch to hide in.

And there's no point in him whinging and blaming O Doherty either, she's a tiny cog in this whole affair.

Agreed, anyone who has had a read of this thread will know I'm not Gemma's number 1 fan, but she actually has released a video of him saying exactly what he alluded to in the documentary

Id wager a guess that his ex-colleagues may have got on his back also. is there an association for retired gards or something? I just hope his bitterness about the documentary didn't stop him or his colleague telling the serious crime review team what they think .

@oranbhoy67 Did the other garda from the documentary say why he changed his statement

@oranbhoy67 Did the other garda from the documentary say why he changed his statement

I have been told he has been not in the best shape recently and has been hospitalised.

Agreed, anyone who has had a read of this thread will know I'm not Gemma's number 1 fan, but she actually has released a video of him saying exactly what he alluded to in the documentary

Id wager a guess that his ex-colleagues may have got on his back also. is there an association for retired gards or something? I just hope his bitterness about the documentary didn't stop him or his colleague telling the serious crime review team what they think .

I'm afraid that "what you think" holds no sway in law.
    Only what you can prove as fact.

What you think can only point investigators in a particular direction and one which can unfortunately be wrong and then you lose credibility.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid that "what you think" holds no sway in law.
    Only what you can prove as fact.

What you think can only point investigators in a particular direction and one which can unfortunately be wrong and then you lose credibility.

credibility isn't something that Donegal Gardai haven't exactly smothered themselves in during the years

Advertisement