Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    this is the one thing we are sure off, & it is where we are trying to put pressure, I know why you are sceptical about us getting answers and you are probably right to be but a few of us are doing everything in our power to make sure that these people cant keep hiding the truth, nor take it to their grave .

There may be FF involvement, I certainly believe McEniff attempted it, but I don't know how serious he thought things were at the time, the Garda are definitely guilty of poor police work at the time, not wilfully they were just undertrained I believe.. something we could forgive them for if their modern counterparts would put more pressure on the guilty party,

but truthfully and realistically the one thing I am 100% certain of is it is a family cover up and we will keep at that family until something gives.. if nothing does give and these people are allowed to die with their secrets then we will turn our attention to the government and Gardai and demand answers on why they didn't listen to us whilst they were alive.

Let's not forget there have been cases in recent years of politicians contacting judges to reduce sentences. Just because he may have done this doesn't prove the deepest darkest conspiracy theories, just pure and simple gombeenism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I just watched that series on BBC3 "The man with no alibi"presented by Bronagh Munro
    and wondered would she look at this case in the hope of finding some answers
    or at least keeping the story in the public eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

mikeymouse wrote: »
    I just watched that series on BBC3 "The man with no alibi"presented by Bronagh Munro
    and wondered would she look at this case in the hope of finding some answers
    or at least keeping the story in the public eye?

I contacted her but with no reply sadly

But we do have something coming up with her organisation which I will post about as soon as I know it is being aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

10.15 RTE one "Missing a Prime Time Rewind" is about mary Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Really hope this programme at 22.15 pushes people who know anything foward.
    This thread should not be under conspiracy. It wasn't UFOs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jesus it really is incredible how big the search was for Mary. 1000 people, over 100 army personal, a helicopter and a water search unit. And still nothing, it is nothing short of astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Jesus it really is incredible how big the search was for Mary. 1000 people, over 100 army personal, a helicopter and a water search unit. And still nothing, it is nothing short of astonishing.

How far could a 6 year old travel in that terrain? It looks very difficult.
    I wonder if they dug up that ditch the uncle was filling in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

10.15 RTE one "Missing a Prime Time Rewind" is about mary Boyle.

..... and Maghera transmitter off air ..... :(

Might get it on Catch Up ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Anyone watch the documentry on youtube? Gemma o doherty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Anyone watch the documentry on youtube? Gemma o doherty?

Thought it was very good. Solely responsible for enlightening the twitter and facebook generation who'd never heard of the case IMO.

The one last night wouldn't have been made with the cops focusing on their LOCAL appeal and local suspicions without it.

That never happened before that documentary.
    It's less of a mystery now what happened to her ie it's not as innocent as just falling into a hole, but again, that's just my opinion.

What I got from both is that now it is believed she met with violence.

When she followed the uncle towards the neighbour's house and then supposedly turned back did the uncle give any explanation as to why?
    Just wondering if she feared anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

When she followed the uncle towards the neighbour's house and then supposedly turned back did the uncle give any explanation as to why?

She never turned back I'm afraid

Just wondering if she feared anyone.

He said there was a deep puddle that she didn't want to cross.. according to which report you read, in other accounts he told her to go back, in others she told him she was going back, and in any that I have seen him televised he says "she quit speaking"

He said there was a deep puddle that she didn't want to cross.. according to which report you read, in other accounts he told her to go back, in others she told him she was going back, and in any that I have seen him televised he says "she quit speaking"
    I seem to remember there was yet another report (I don't know which one,without going through the whole thread)
    where she asked where they were going, and
    she said "I don't want to go to that house" and turned around.
    Her mother on last night's program said "that house" was not visible from the point where she turned around.
    It's hard to imagine an (responsible) adult permitting a 7yr old to go back over that distance and terrain .
    That phrase "She quit spaaking " keeps coming back into my head,
    This old historic map has an old bohareen almost connecting the two properties, which is probably the route they would have taken
    ,if indeed they went that way at all.
    Use the overlay slider to transpose the maps ,
    the neighbours house is on the right where a well indicated and the old lane
    leads off to the left to near the family home

I seem to remember there was yet another report (I don't know which one,without going through the whole thread)
    Her mother on last night's program said "that house" was not visible from the point where she turned around.
    It's hard to imagine an (responsible) adult permitting a 7yr old to go back over that distance and terrain .
    This old historic map has an old bohareen almost connecting the two properties, which is probably the route they would have taken

Never heard that about not wanting to go to that house, are you sure about that? (Have heard the others :))

• Advertisement

Wonder why?

dense wrote: »
    Never heard that about not wanting to go to that house, are you sure about that? (Have heard the others :))

I'll see if I can find it.
    I think was the mothers words ,I could be wrong.

Check here for some discrepancies in the story throughout the years, just some of many ( im not trying to get facebook traffic it would just be easier to post this instead of having to upload the images

https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForMaryBoyle/?hc_ref=ARQUeokHJiiQremtS6HpM-7ubt-Z1X8RrEe_ZtzZh8upIZWyn2akJR3p9sPqUurw22E

Has the local man who is being blamed ever come out to deny it or give his account?

Has the local man who is being blamed ever come out to deny it or give his account?

never came out publicly and denied it no, but he was in the documentary speaking the other night for a brief few seconds in a clip from an old RTE show about Mary though they didn't identify him as a suspect on it

• Advertisement

Check here for some discrepancies in the story throughout the years, just some of many ( im not trying to get facebook traffic it would just be easier to post this instead of having to upload the images

https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForMaryBoyle/?hc_ref=ARQUeokHJiiQremtS6HpM-7ubt-Z1X8RrEe_ZtzZh8upIZWyn2akJR3p9sPqUurw22E

Just had a look through some of the photos.

Saw this about a cardigan
    https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/24293883_715236591998589_4756649459408845639_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bd0413bed093dbc554f2458b5776bbc6&oe=5B36A572

and I remembered that in the repeat of the Prime Time Special the other night, a big deal was made of showing, for the first time, a photo of a cardigan and boots similar to what Mary was wearing.

It struck me as highly odd that this was the First time these were being shown!

Why the awful delay??? Seems strange....

Just wondering what became of that man and the cardigan he found??

Just had a look through some of the photos.

Saw this about a cardigan
    https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/24293883_715236591998589_4756649459408845639_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bd0413bed093dbc554f2458b5776bbc6&oe=5B36A572

and I remembered that in the repeat of the Prime Time Special the other night, a big deal was made of showing, for the first time, a photo of a cardigan and boots similar to what Mary was wearing.

It struck me as highly odd that this was the First time these were being shown!

Why the awful delay??? Seems strange....

Just wondering what became of that man and the cardigan he found??

Also Mary's mother spoke about a roll of sweets that was broken in half and
    given to the girls and that a similar sweet paper was found in the hedge near the road yet the uncle spoke about it being a packet of crisps Mary had.
    Lots of discrepencies in many accounts and these could have led to the wrong areas being searched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is the uncle still alive?

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Is the uncle still alive?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

given to the girls and that a similar sweet paper was found in the hedge near the road yet the uncle spoke about it being a packet of crisps Mary had.
    Lots of discrepencies in many accounts and these could have led to the wrong areas being searched.

The area where she went missing was searched meticulously except the grandparents' house and the uncle's car. The subaqua squad searched (and might have even drained, I'm not sure) the lakes; if she had died accidentally, she would definitely have been found.

Yes I'd never heard of a packet of sweets being shared between the girls before that either.

Yes I'd never heard of a packet of sweets being shared between the girls before that either.

Then you have lived a very sheltered and comfortable life or are just too young to realise how people lived back then in rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Then you have lived a very sheltered and comfortable life or are just too young to realise how people lived back then in rural areas.

The poster didn't say never heard of it before ! She / he said never heeard it about these girls !
    I still till this day could be seen to snap a packet in half to share out !!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The poster didn't say never heard of it before ! She / he said never heeard it about these girls !
    I still till this day could be seen to snap a packet in half to share out !!

Then I apologise for mis-reading the post.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Then I apologise for mis-reading the post.

;)

Have a half packet of Spangles !

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Have a half packet of Spangles !

Do I get the big half?

:D

I think he meant he never heard of it in relation to this case.

Is there a protest tomorrow in Dublin for Mary Boyle? If so any details?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there a protest tomorrow in Dublin for Mary Boyle? If so any details?

not that i heard off no

not that i heard off no

oh right thanks. Thought I had heard something about an Easter Monday march, my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

This is a remarkable story. The Garda have ignored a key person of interest for 41 years and yet it would seem went to great lengths to track down and prosecute the sender of "hate mail" to Mrs Anne Boyle.

I have to say I've never heard of hate mail being sent to a grieving relative of a missing person before, so why in this case? Other people reading this article who aren't familiar with the case may well be wondering the same thing.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/missing-mary-boyle-hate-mail-suspect-dies-468933.html

Creol1 wrote: »
    This is a remarkable story. The Garda have ignored a key person of interest for 41 years and yet it would seem went to great lengths to track down and prosecute the sender of "hate mail" to Mrs Anne Boyle.

I have to say I've never heard of hate mail being sent to a grieving relative of a missing person before, so why in this case? Other people reading this article who aren't familiar with the case may well be wondering the same thing.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/missing-mary-boyle-hate-mail-suspect-dies-468933.html

That was mentioned in the closing titles of the repeat the other night.

Priorities seem to be mixed up in this investigation.

Certainly it is commendable that an investigation to discover who the sender was was so successful, what is less clear is why a garda "review" of the case by gardai is ongoing since 2011, with no end in sight.

At least they will be able to commend themselves for promptly solving one part of this case.

Solving the case itself and concluding the review and publishing it seems lower down the list of priorities.

This self review will not be concluded nor will it be published.

It will remain under lock and key if it is a real review.

A whitewash report may well be published, exonerating the methods and participants of the original investigation.

There will understandably be no rush to self publish a damning critique of their own work.

That would require a Tribunal of Inquiry, something that should now be demanded.

There is enough to start with, the coroner system, the garda system, the unproven allegations of political interference.

A Tribunal would get to the bottom of a lot of it.

Certainly it is commendable that an investigation to discover who the sender was was so successful, what is less clear is why a garda "review" of the case by gardai is ongoing since 2011, with no end in sight.

At least they will be able to commend themselves for promptly solving one part of this case.

Solving the case itself and concluding the review and publishing it seems lower down the list of priorities.

A whitewash report may well be published, exonerating the methods and participants of the original investigation.

There will understandably be no rush to self publish a damning critique of their own work.

That would require a Tribunal of Inquiry, something that should now be demanded.

There is enough to start with, the coroner system, the garda system, the unproven allegations of political interference.

I'd say back in the 1970@s there were little or no methods on investigating missing persons in Donegal.
    I can't find a single case of a missing person in that part of the country before this case. I'd also say that they were doing their best with what they had at the time without the hindsight we have now. They had loads of people out searching and a sub aqua team searching the water and a helicopter in the air.
    From watching the programme the other night there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether a phone call was made to the station or not when the suspect was being interviewed.
    It's easy to be wise after the event. I can't imagine any garda not wanting to find the little girl's body as it would make no sense at all. I dearly wish that she is found and will continue to pray for that.

It's easy to be wise after the event. I can't imagine any garda not wanting to find the little girl's body as it would make no sense at all.

But can you imagine a garda directing that certain people/a certain person should receive some sort of special treatment?

That (whether as a result of this phone call or not) appears to be the case, going on what this thread is saying.

• Advertisement

The most recent Cold case review has concluded, the second since 2011, the findings from it just get sent back to the original Garda station anyway ( Ballyshannon) .. its just more stalling tactics IMO

But can you imagine a garda directing that certain people/a certain person should receive some sort of special treatment?

That (whether as a result of this phone call or not) appears to be the case, going on what this thread is saying.

But we don't know any of these things for sure. It's all speculation. The garda featured on the programme said that there was no phone call but i recall another garda saying that there was. How do you prove a phone call and unless you hear the voice and know it how do you prove who it was or what was said? The whole thing for me boils down to what happened on the day at or near the house and someone there knows exactly what happened and who was responsible. The answer lies at the house.

But we don't know any of these things for sure.

Agreed 100%; but should there not be a process established now to determine the truth surrounding these allegations?

What did happen and what didn't happen?

An external process that won't be steered by the gardai or anyone else involved in saving face?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Agreed 100%; but should there not be a process established now to determine the truth surrounding these allegations?

An external process that won't be steered by the gardai or anyone else involved in saving face?

Perhaps the Garda Ombudsman or the Department of Justice could take over?

To be honest though unless and until the people closest to Mary develop consciences and start talking it’s going to be next to impossible to figure out the truth.

I would have no problem with that as long as it didn't effect the main issue of what happened to Mary and didn't sidetrack or diminish it.

• Advertisement

I would have no problem with that as long as it didn't effect the main issue of what happened to Mary and didn't sidetrack or diminish it.

Getting to the truth of everything else shouldn't do that, it would serve to find out what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 curlymo

Watching "The Investigator" on TV3 tonight with Mark -Thomas Williams investigating the case of missing person Louise Kay who disappeared in 1988 from Eastbourne in Sussex. He is connecting serial killer Peter Tobin to her murder. Has he Peter Tobin ever been checked out in connection to Mary Boyles disappearance ?. Apparently he has admitted to killing up to 48 people and buried the bodies in gardens wherever he lived . He has lived in various places in Scotland and England during the 70'and 80's. Peter Tobin is originally from Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Why would he travel to somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the hope of running into someone to kidnap?

curlymo wrote: »
    Watching "The Investigator" on TV3 tonight with Mark -Thomas Williams investigating the case of missing person Louise Kay who disappeared in 1988 from Eastbourne in Sussex. He is connecting serial killer Peter Tobin to her murder. Has he Peter Tobin ever been checked out in connection to Mary Boyles disappearance ?. Apparently he has admitted to killing up to 48 people and buried the bodies in gardens wherever he lived . He has lived in various places in Scotland and England during the 70'and 80's. Peter Tobin is originally from Glasgow.

How can he possibly be connected to this particular case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

its quiet clear what happened and who did it, but in the name of jaysus why noting has been done about it is beyond me

• Advertisement
Advertisement