Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Pisser wrote: »
    is there a reason why sexual abuse has also been alleged ? Is it not more likely that the person went giving the child a hiding (as was very common back then) and went too far ?

Why would he give her a hiding?
    Why would he get support to cover it up?
    Why is it still being covered up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 missdock.1

U tube ..... Mary Boyle the untold story.... Watch it....i find it disturbing in this day and age that this much corouption is still covering the truth, hoping somebody cracks and mary gets her headstone after 40 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

fryup wrote: »
    oranbhoy67 are you related to Mary Boyle? if so how old were you when she disappeared ?
    post 56 read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

oranbhoy67 are you related to Mary Boyle? if so how old were you when she disappeared ?

i was minus 3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why has your aunt changed her attitude to the case??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 missdock.1

Who is this FF member and why is he so protected, it's 2016 .... Nearly 40 yrs later, hope to god this documentary makes somebody crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Bit naive to say the least.

But every other door was already closed.

On the mother's wishes:

But blocking an inquest isn't within her gift, alive or dead.

A relative does not initiate or prevent an inquest taking place.

Except in Donegal.

I'm a life long Dub in my 60's. The only thing I know about Pearse Street Garda Station is that it is one of the busiest in the country. For that reason it's the wrong place to go. If it were me, I'd have gone to HQ.
    a catholic priest :confused: knowing their track record in child abuse they'd be last people i'd go to

Of course, I understand you. But when I see all these other crimes on the news nightly, there is usually a priest interviewed when a tragedy befalls a family. In the 70's he would have been one of the first people called in I'm sure. Times have changed of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Here's a few links to news stories, I'd say every current sitting TD has heard of the Mary Boyle case yet it's still being covered up.

Frances Fitzgerald cannot open inquest into Mary Boyle case
    Donegal schoolgirl’s relatives asked for case to be re-examined after 1977 disappearance
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/frances-fitzgerald-cannot-open-inquest-into-mary-boyle-case-1.2653740

Micheál Martin meets sister of missing Mary Boyle (6)
    Ann Doherty raises concern over handling of her twin’s disappearance in Donegal 39 years ago.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/miche%C3%A1l-martin-meets-sister-of-missing-mary-boyle-6-1.2625257

Allegations of political interference in Mary Boyle investigation
    Two former gardaí will allege, in a documentary to be released next month, that there was political interference in the investigation into the disappearance of Mary Boyle in 1977.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/allegations-of-political-interference-in-mary-boyle-investigation-399448.html

Why has Ireland's mainstream media turned its back on Mary Boyle?
    Investigative journalist faces apathy as she seeks to reveal the truth about the disappearance of ‘Ireland’s Madeleine McCann’
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/apr/29/why-has-irelands-mainstream-media-turned-its-back-on-mary-boyle

Mary Boyle’s disappearance and the 40-year fob-off
    Broadside: Reporter Gemma O’Doherty believes there was political interference in the Garda investigation into the death of a child, and she just won’t let it go
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/mary-boyle-s-disappearance-and-the-40-year-fob-off-1.2637996

Mary Boyle case: Documentary alleges political interference
    Former gardaí say phone call stopped them securing confession from chief suspect
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mary-boyle-case-documentary-alleges-political-interference-1.2711542

Missing child's sister meets FF leader over investigation claims
    The twin sister of Mary Boyle, who disappeared in 1977, has met the Fianna Fáil leader to discuss allegations that a member of his party interfered with the investigation into her disappearance 39 years ago.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0426/784400-mary-boyle/

Was there a cover up in the 1977 disappearance of a little Donegal girl?
    Investigative journalist Gemma O Doherty has uncovered more shocking revelations in the case of Mary Boyle, Ireland’s longest missing child case.
    http://www.intallaght.ie/was-there-a-cover-up-in-the-1977-disappearance-of-a-little-donegal-girl/

So after all this time and the allegations made by 2 former Gardai there is still no political will to re-open this case or look into these allegations in any meaningful way, the current political establishment is as guilty today as it was 40 years ago, disgrace.

It seems the documentary has been getting media coverage which can only be a good thing, hopefully Mary's family will get justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm a life long Dub in my 60's. The only thing I know about Pearse Street Garda Station is that it is one of the busiest in the country. For that reason it's the wrong place to go. If it were me, I'd have gone to HQ.

Of course, I understand you. But when I see all these other crimes on the news nightly, there is usually a priest interviewed when a tragedy befalls a family. In the 70's he would have been one of the first people called in I'm sure. Times have changed of course.
    That is a very good point re the priest. Regardless of abuse, any time there is a an accident or anything to this day, the local priest is the one who is on the news saying how "the community is devastated"

The gallaghers, her mother and uncles ,seem very comfortable in front of tv cameras if they are hiding anything. For ordinary country people not used to being on TV they are very relaxed

Purely on a speculative basis i wonder if the community considers itself self policing like the IRA used to police certain areas. it is a wonder they called the gardai at all. What was the point of calling the gardai if they did not intend to co operate with them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

That is a very good point re the priest. Regardless of abuse, any time there is a an accident or anything to this day, the local priest is the one who is on the news saying how "the community is devastated"

The gallaghers, her mother and uncles ,seem very comfortable in front of tv cameras if they are hiding anything. For ordinary country people not used to being on TV they are very relaxed

Purely on a speculative basis i wonder if the community considers itself self policing like the IRA used to police certain areas. it is a wonder they called the gardai at all. What was the point of calling the gardai if they did not intend to co operate with them

It doesn't matter, they were called.

If anything was admitted to anyone I'd guess it would not have been in the immediate aftermath of the family realising she was missing.

Any admission, albeit that theres no knowledge of any being made, was not going to be blurted out there and then IMO.

Also Mary was just a visitor to that house.

One of 11, that would have all been staying under the one roof.

On the self-policing, it does certainly seem possible given the wild west reputation the county has now, possibly more so back then.

What is the inference about the priest?

We don't know if he was called or not.

Nothing to be gained from speculating as to why he may or may not have been called IMO.

• Advertisement

"Mrs Ann Boyle was in the kitchen of her parents' house when she discovered that her daughter Mary was missing. There was panic.

``I looked out the front door. The rest of the children were playing in a thicket in the front garden, Mary was not there.

My brother Gerry was fixing a stone wall in front of the house. I asked him did he see Mary, he didn't answer, he must not have heard me.

Ten minutes later I asked did anyone see Mary and Gerry shot off in his car down the road.

I remember in desperation asking my mother to light a candle.

I shook holy water all over the place. I felt so panicky and I remember I ran out to the rocks shouting and crying.

I hoped and prayed that God would protect her.

When Gerry came back to the house he said she had followed him earlier to the Cawleys' house and that she turned back.

I got into the car and drove along the road in different directions. It was a nightmare."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-boyle-a-stolen-child-26259379.html

Does anyone ever remember hearing where did Gerry drive to and how long he was away for?

Surely it's relevant.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

missdock.1 wrote: »
    Who is this FF member and why is he so protected, it's 2016 .... Nearly 40 yrs later, hope to god this documentary makes somebody crack

There's alot of speculation about who the politician was, I think there were references made that Pat the Cope Gallagher might have been the politician that intervened but he's come out and said its not him. Interview on highland radio earlier.
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2016/07/07/pat-the-cope-gallagher-says-he-isnt-the-politician-alleged-to-have-interfered-in-mary-boyle-case/

The only information regarding the last time she was seen comes from the last person to have seen her.

She may not have went on any walk with him.

Has the return of the ladder to the neighbour's house been corroborated timeswise, and what was the demeanour of the person who delivered it??

The neighbours must be mystified by Mary's disappearance too.....

why has your aunt changed her attitude to the case??

I dont like to call her my aunt I like to call her my late uncle's wife as petty as that may seem

Imo she has changed her attitude as the truth of the whole case sits far too close to home for her liking

"Mrs Ann Boyle was in the kitchen of her parents' house when she discovered that her daughter Mary was missing. There was panic.

``I looked out the front door. The rest of the children were playing in a thicket in the front garden, Mary was not there.

My brother Gerry was fixing a stone wall in front of the house. I asked him did he see Mary, he didn't answer, he must not have heard me.

Ten minutes later I asked did anyone see Mary and Gerry shot off in his car down the road.

I remember in desperation asking my mother to light a candle.

I shook holy water all over the place. I felt so panicky and I remember I ran out to the rocks shouting and crying.

I hoped and prayed that God would protect her.

When Gerry came back to the house he said she had followed him earlier to the Cawleys' house and that she turned back.

I got into the car and drove along the road in different directions. It was a nightmare."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-boyle-a-stolen-child-26259379.html

Does anyone ever remember hearing where did Gerry drive to and how long he was away for?

Surely it's relevant.........

I asked Gerry about this, he denied this ever happened, I have this on video . its from a couple of months ago

he denies it but that is a direct quote from his sister

Therefore one of them is lying

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Where was Mary's father when this took place? Surely he must have some say in the matter.

The only information regarding the last time she was seen comes from the last person to have seen her.

She may not have went on any walk with him.

Has the return of the ladder to the neighbour's house been corroborated timeswise, and what was the demeanour of the person who delivered it??

The neighbours must be mystified by Mary's disappearance too.....

from what I've been told of the neighbours they were extremely elderly at the time but I'm assuming they must've corroborated the story

Where was Mary's father when this took place? Surely he must have some say in the matter.

He was in the house too, he died in 2005, drowned while out fishing alone. and in all my 25 years till then of knowing him I never ever once heard him speak about the case, it wasn't something i was comfortable bringing up to him anyway but I was told from my family who lived here that that was always his way.. even in interviews it was always his wife did the speaking.

Now one of my aunties has died today sadly and the funeral should be on Sunday and I will have to travel out there with them all thinking I'm a blow-in rattling cages about this case , but I will go out and pay my respects and know that anything im doing I'm trying to do for the benefit of the cousin I never got to meet, that's maybe my own paranoia at work but as someone brought up in Glasgow im very awkward with the whole Irish funeral tradition as it is as I'm not used to it and I'm going to be very uncomfortable thinking about this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    I asked Gerry about this, he denied this ever happened, I have this on video . its from a couple of months ago

Jesus Christ I'm screaming on the inside. Does anyone else feel like " why isn't this being investigated properly "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If anything was admitted to anyone I'd guess it would not have been in the immediate aftermath of the family realising she was missing.

Any admission, albeit that theres no knowledge of any being made, was not going to be blurted out there and then IMO.

On the self-policing, it does certainly seem possible given the wild west reputation the county has now, possibly more so back then.

Nothing to be gained from speculating as to why he may or may not have been called IMO.

Going Forward, may I ask you to read my post (below) when I brought up the subject of the local priest. As you will see below I inferred nothing except that he would have been the one person who might be able to sway the mother to change her mind regarding the investigation. I also mentioned in a later post that no priest seemed to be interviewed by the journalists as they always do after accidents. You see it regularly after an accident, or whatever, the priest who knows the family usually explaining the shock experienced by the people involved and the community at large praying for them. It's routine stuff for RTE. I just mentioned that this routine stuff wasn't particularly apparent in this case. I inferred nothing else. I hope you can see that.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Trial by media or social media cannot be right. But this case has so many things wrong with it, its about time there was a proper investigation. I was mulling over this during the last few weeks with Mary's face now firmly on my mind. I realised there is one very important person missing from the whole scenario who could have some sway to change the mother's mind. Someone who is called after every tragic accident, death, violence. Someone who is called to bring succour to families and who is always rolled out for the cameras and interviewed by journalists. The local PP. Anyone know if the PP was asked to be mediator? Just a thought really, as you would think this family would be quite religious.

the Mother is religious

the local church in Kincassalgh made a type of shrine to Mary out beside the front door and i worked on a house across the road a few summers back and she would visit it almost every day to pray

CmzKZ_hUMAAizgT.jpg

something positive

the main suspect (imo) has immediate family living in Fermanagh

Could the Norths police be the one to shame the gards into action?

from what I've been told of the neighbours they were extremely elderly at the time but I'm assuming they must've corroborated the story

It's very convenient.

Couple of old folk down the road, who he borrowed a ladder from at some unknown point, and dutifully returned according to his own account.

On the very day that the child is last seen alive.
    After according to him, having followed him returning the ladder.

Coincidence.

This is an important ladder.

There's no assuming anything in this story.

Was the elderly couple browbeaten into agreeing, (after he arrived there after having left the scene of the discovery of Mary's disappearance having "shot off" in his car to some unknown destination), that yes he had returned a ladder?

Gardai: "Did he return a borrowed ladder to you?"
    Couple: "Yes"
    Gardai: "Ok. Thanks. Bye"

Has the existence of this "ladder" and it's return on the day of Mary's "disappearance" even been ascertained?

Was it fingerprinted/examined?

Does it exist at all?

Isn't this really just a cock and bull story from the person who last saw the girl alive, who, making up some sort of an alibi told the unassuming elderly neighbours that he left a ladder back to them.

He hasn't ever been formally questioned on ANY of this as far as I'm aware, but I'm open to correction on that.

They're probably trusting people.

Maybe it was there, maybe not.

They hardly signed for the delivery of it in their yard.

They may have been distressed by the events.

He told them he left a ladder back.

They may not even have witnessed it, but they took him at his word that a ladder had been returned.

FFS they're not going to contradict him, if he said he left a ladder back, and if they had no reason to suspect a man of few words who supposedly had a chatty six year old in tow on his delivery, who'd suddenly disappeared on the way, after giving in to the sudden urge to return a ladder whilst there were relations visiting.

On another point.

The mother today doesn't want an inquest over her dead body, no way.

Back to 2007, and an interview tells a somewhat different but similar tale, before the recent sh1t has hit the fan of course:

Today, 30 years later, Ann Snr. still pleads for any information on what happened to her daughter. When asked if finding out what happened to Mary could destroy her family, Ann says she would still want to know.

"But I wouldn't like to think it would destroy our family. I wouldn't like it to end that way."

How would the truth destroy a family?

She knew something then.

She knows something now.

She seeks the truth, but not too much of it.

That's why she doesn't want an inquest held for her daughter.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/wouldyoubelieve/charlieandmary.html

It does matter. You seem to have great knack of telling people what they mean
    Nothing to be gained from speculating as to why he may or may not have been called IMO
    everything here is speculation.including your
    Was the elderly couple browbeaten into agreeing, (after he arrived there after having left the scene of the discovery of Mary's disappearance having "shot off" in his car to some unknown destination), that yes he had returned a ladder?

Gardai: "Did he return a borrowed ladder to you?"
    Couple: "Yes"
    Gardai: "Ok. Thanks. Bye"

Why there is no priest involved in a traumatic incident in a very rural place is a very good point and worth considering or speculating about. As I and others said the local priest is very often to this day the one interviewed on TV after something traumatic hits a community. Indeed they seem to speak form a scrip about "devastation/close knit communities" etc

But no priest to speak about a little missing child or tell how devastated they community is.

I think the film should name the suspect and the politician.Let him sue . There are witnesses to say he made the call. As for suspect, there is not much a prosecution can do to him now at his age. Life Imprisonment?

It does matter. You seem to have great knack of telling people what they mean
    everything here is speculation.including your

Why there is no priest involved in a traumatic incident in a very rural place is a very good point and worth considering or speculating about. As I and others said the local priest is very often to this day the one interviewed on TV after something traumatic hits a community. Indeed they seem to speak form a scrip about "devastation/close knit communities" etc

But no priest to speak about a little missing child or tell how devastated they community is.

I think the film should name the suspect and the politician.Let him sue . There are witnesses to say he made the call. As for suspect, there is not much a prosecution can do to him now at his age. Life Imprisonment?

Are saying we should suspect the couple weren't questioned about the ladder or that they denied the ladder was returned when questioned?

Or that we should believe that they were rigorously interrogated about it??

I don't know if they were but if they were I'd say it was just cursory.

No heavy interrogation.

What do you think?

On the priest.

Do you actually know that he wasn't consulted?

It doesn't change who the perpetrator is, his story, or the allegations of interference.

• Advertisement

Are saying we should suspect the couple weren't questioned about the ladder or that they denied the ladder was returned when questioned?

Or that we should believe that they were rigorously interrogated about it??

I don't know if they were but if they were I'd say it was just cursory.

No heavy interrogation.

What do you think?

On the priest.

It doesn't change who the perpetrator is, his story, or the allegations of interference.
    Do you know he was consulted?
    What I am saying is the lack of priestly presence is worth considering. It may say something about the cover up. It may not. Worth considering

could you upload it somewhere?

What I am saying is the lack of priestly presence is worth considering. It may say something about the cover up. It may not. Worth considering

I don't know but I don't see whether he was or not making any difference.

What might it say?

If they didn't call him it's more likely that there was a cover up?

Or that if they did, it's less likely that there was a cover up?

Help me out here?

Are you doubting there was a cover up?

I don't know but I don't see whether he was or not making any difference.

What might it say?

If they didn't call him it's more likely that there was a cover up?

Or that if they did, it's less likely that there was a cover up?

Help me out here?

Are you doubting there was a cover up
    ?
    No
    I am just agreeing with the person who said absence of priest is unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

groovyg wrote: »
    There's alot of speculation about who the politician was, I think there were references made that Pat the Cope Gallagher might have been the politician that intervened but he's come out and said its not him. Interview on highland radio earlier.
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2016/07/07/pat-the-cope-gallagher-says-he-isnt-the-politician-alleged-to-have-interfered-in-mary-boyle-case/

This was just people putting the surnames together and thinking they were onto something PTC wasn't in politics at the time the cllr in question is a still sitting cllr...

• Advertisement

oranbhoy67 - has the suspect been involved in any sexual deviance before and after this event ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Have just saved the Gemma O'Doherty documentary link to watch when the kids go to bed. Have seen bits of it and believe that everyone should give it a watch. Pressure from widespread speculation, regardless of your theory or what you believe, should be enough to put pressure on the authorities to start listening to family and friends of Mary Boyle.

cosanostra wrote: »
    This was just people putting the surnames together and thinking they were onto something PTC wasn't in politics at the time the cllr in question is a still sitting cllr...

There's 5 pages of pictures of sitting councillors here:

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/

Only one with the required criteria you mention from what I can see.

I just read that piece on the Would you believe documentary.
    I didn't know Mary's twin Ann had a baby at 16 whom she called Mary and then when she was getting married she left her with her parents !! How bizarre! That Mary also had a baby at 16 whom she named Charley. Is that not a bit messed up leaving your daughter behind because you are going off to get married and start a family with somebody else? Different times I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

The FF member was the first person seen with Gardai in a video I posted earlier in this thread, and who allegedly assaulted a fellow female councillor, hotelllls.com, I think there's a fairly big paedophile ring operating up there and because of this and those involved nobody want's to get into it because it will bring them and others closer to Dublin down.

I know 100% of a paedo ring ran in Wexford, with garda, judges, politicians and social workers involved, it's real and very frightening, and foster parents are the suppliers of human cattle, believe it or not.
    He's been using TOR for years.

I didn't know Mary's twin Ann had a baby at 16 whom she called Mary and then when she was getting married she left her with her parents !! How bizarre! That Mary also had a baby at 16 whom she named Charley. Is that not a bit messed up leaving your daughter behind because you are going off to get married and start a family with somebody else? Different times I guess.

Seems unconventional to say the least.

There's a bit of naivety evident in that none of that had to be disclosed by anyone in the family to a journalist for publication or broadcast and it has nothing to do with furthering the case.

It's a pity the journalist didn't explain why they asked Ann Snr if she was afraid finding out what happened would "destroy the family".

Why would a journalist ask someone that???

"Today, 30 years later, Ann Snr. still pleads for any information on what happened to her daughter.

When asked if finding out what happened to Mary could destroy her family, Ann says she would still want to know.

"But I wouldn't like to think it would destroy our family. I wouldn't like it to end that way."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is Kincasslagh in the Glenties Council district?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It was 1987, Magdalene laundries still in place. With her mother who sprayed holy water around the house before she started looking for her lost child she was lucky not to be locked up, but probably had to leave the baby behind to be accepted into another family.

stuar wrote: »

TOR :confused:

The FF member was the first person seen with Gardai in a video I posted earlier in this thread, and who allegedly assaulted a fellow female councillor, hotelllls.com, I think there's a fairly big paedophile ring operating up there and because of this and those involved nobody want's to get into it because it will bring them and others closer to Dublin down.

I know 100% of a paedo ring ran in Wexford, with garda, judges, politicians and social workers involved, it's real and very frightening, and foster parents are the suppliers of human cattle, believe it or not.

Who's that photo of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Thats not what she said though, Groovyg.

"When I got married, I had to make a decision to leave Mary with Mom and Dad because I couldn't put them through taking another Mary away from them."

Sounds understandable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

TOR :confused:

TOR is an encrypted web browser that is supposed to give anonymity, therefore its used by criminals and pedophiles who share pictures and videos of children through it

If RTE still had the documentary up - annoyingly its the last one that you cant still watch online- you will see that was part of the documentary

Young Anne Wanted Mary to come to live with her in Offaly but they had both grown up with the mother and the mother said in some way helping to bring up Mary helped fill a gap since her own Mary disappeared , and Young Anne didnt feel right taking another Mary away from her so let her decide what she wanted to do and she wanted to stay with her Gran and friends .

what relevance is it what age they had kids at? my own sister had a kid at 16 too maybe you can add that on to your wee list there

oranbhoy67 - has the suspect been involved in any sexual deviance before and after this event ??

not that I'm aware of but then again if the gards couldn't arrest him for a murder I've no faith they'd arrest him for anything else neither

so wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to say there was one in South Donegal as well .

Then you have to look at the Murder of Bernadette Connolly the 10 year old raped and murdered in neighbouring Sligo in 1970 and off course the Arlene Arkinson case more recently.

If RTE still had the documentary up - annoyingly its the last one that you cant still watch online- you will see that was part of the documentary

Young Anne Wanted Mary to come to live with her in Offaly but they had both grown up with the mother and the mother said in some way helping to bring up Mary helped fill a gap since her own Mary disappeared , and Young Anne didnt feel right taking another Mary away from her so let her decide what she wanted to do and she wanted to stay with her Gran and friends .

what relevance is it what age they had kids at? my own sister had a kid at 16 too maybe you can add that on to your wee list there

I wasn't judging them I don't care what age they had their kids, thats what was in the RTE bio. I just thought it was odd that she left her own kid with her own mother when she got married but then another poster mentioned it was era of Magdalene laundries so makes sense really. That programme was shown in 2007 so obviously a lot has gone on since between Ann and her mother as now they are no longer speaking. Gemma tweeted earlier that Ann was asking for her mother to be arrested https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/751172129064882176

I wasn't judging them I don't care what age they had their kids, thats what was in the RTE bio. I just thought it was odd that she left her own kid with her own mother when she got married but then another poster mentioned it was era of Magdalene laundries so makes sense really. That programme was shown in 2007 so obviously a lot has gone on since between Ann and her mother as now they are no longer speaking. Gemma tweeted earlier that Ann was asking for her mother to be arrested https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/751172129064882176

Jeepers! Just finished watching the Gemma O'Doherty doc and I can see why Ann Boyles nose is out of joint. I think it's partially with Ann but mainly Margo. I feel like she is crossing the line from being helpful. It appears she has a strong influence over young Ann and is maybe pushing her in a direction that wouldn't really be consistent with how she was raised or how the family deal with things. That would pee me off a bit too tbh.

Jeepers! Just finished watching the Gemma O'Doherty doc and I can see why Ann Boyles nose is out of joint. I think it's partially with Ann but mainly Margo.

I feel like she is crossing the line from being helpful.

It appears she has a strong influence over young Ann and is maybe pushing her in a direction that wouldn't really be consistent with how she was raised or how the family deal with things. That would pee me off a bit too tbh.

So what should happen?

Stop enquiring about what happened to the child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What are you basing the lack of a priestly presence on? A few seconds of archive footage during a documentary?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

So what should happen?

Stop enquiring about what happened to the child?

I'm not saying she should do anything differently. Sometimes you have to cross the line to get the result and I understand that.

I am just empathising with Ann Boyle. A mother would like their family to stick together when it comes to horrible situations like this. Her daughter has chosen to go another way and Margo has taken her under her wing. That would be hurtful to most mothers I am sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is Kincasslagh in the Glenties Council district?

Yes this is where Mary lived but she went missing from her Mother's home house in the south of the county near bundoran

Advertisement