Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Business Deposit held for 14 Months!

Options
  • 21-05-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I opened a new business last July (anyone who has done so knows how expensive it can be!), in order for me to obtain the services of Electric Ireland, I had to give them a deposit of €2,000 and direct debit details - no negotiation, it was this or have none!   I was left with no choice but to comply.  

Firstly, from reading articles involving deposits, my deposit seems to be far more than the average - why is this?   I have no history of not paying bills etc.

Secondly, I have now paid 7 bills and I wrote to Electric Ireland requesting if there was any chance of getting even half the deposit returned based on my account to date - I received a phone call saying "sorry, no chance" and that "my deposit would be credited to my account after 14 months (October)" - I will then have to apply to them to get a cheque refund.   Is it necessary for them to hold the full amount till then?   While I accept a deposit is necessary, €2,000 is no small amount and it puts (in my opinion) totally unnecessary financial pressure on a new business in what already is a challenging climate for business'

Please advise if there is any way that I may get a portion of this back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Sheeba1,

We understand your frustration and realise these are challenging times for new businesses.
    Sheeba1 wrote:
    my deposit seems to be far more than the average - why is this

Security deposits for domestic/residential accounts are €300*. For commercial accounts, we calculate the deposit requirement based mainly on the business-type and its anticipated average usage.

If you have been paying by direct debit, you should also have the option of an EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) whereby the credit applied to your Electric Ireland account can refunded directly to your bank account.

If you would like us to look into this further for you, please send us your account details by PM.

Thanks,
    David

* Although they are not required at all if paying by direct debit

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sheeba1

Hi Sheeba1,

We understand your frustration and realise these are challenging times for new businesses.

Security deposits for domestic/residential accounts are €300*. For commercial accounts, we calculate the deposit requirement based mainly on the business-type and its anticipated average usage.

If you have been paying by direct debit, you should also have the option of an EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) whereby the credit applied to your Electric Ireland account can refunded directly to your bank account.

If you would like us to look into this further for you, please send us your account details by PM.

Thanks,
    David

* Although they are not required at all if paying by direct debit
    David,

I have sent a PM and would appreciate if you can do anything for me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Thanks Sheeba1, we've received your PM. I'll do what I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sheeba1

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this but I am still totally dissatisfied with the fact that a VERY LARGE deposit of €2000 has been held on me for so long and still will be until October - this is totally UNACCEPTABLE in this curent climate.:(

I will be seeking legal advice and consulting with Consumer Rights.

• Talk-To PM Accounts Posts: 16 Electric Ireland Reps

Hi Sheeba1,

We understand that some of our customers may under pressure in this time, and of course we try to do everything we can to facilitate them. Payment plans and advice are available for any customer who feels that their bill may be unmanageable. However, as per the agreed terms and conditions associated with your account, unfortunately your deposit is nonrefundable until the agreed 14 month time frame has passed.

After reviewing your account, I can see that you would be eligible for one of our Business price plans. If you would like to enquire about which discounts are available to you, please contact our Business sales department. Their contact details are as follows:

Telephone: 1850 30 50 70
    Email: bussales@electricireland.ie
    Opening hours: 9am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday

I have also sent you a private message further discussing the specifics of your account.

I'm sorry we can not be of more help to you at this time, but if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get in contact with us.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Advertisement
Advertisement