Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Football game (CANCELED!!!!!)

Options
  • 21-05-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

I saw this on the Cork City board and it seemed to go down well so I thought I'd ask about here. I'm looking to play a bit of football over the Summer, just to get out and about really as fitness usually goes out the window during the Summer.

I'm 21 and I've played a bit of third division and I'm available any night Monday to Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Couple of years ago we set up a floodlight league team through the forum. Now, it didn't end well but I always enjoyed the weekly game with those who came from here.

I'm Kind of on a get healthy campaign ATM so I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of trying to set up a weekly game again.

I'm as about as close to third division standard as my 1 year old kid but I do enjoy a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

ziedth wrote: »
    Couple of years ago we set up a floodlight league team through the forum. Now, it didn't end well but I always enjoyed the weekly game with those who came from here.

I'm Kind of on a get healthy campaign ATM so I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of trying to set up a weekly game again.

I'm as about as close to third division standard as my 1 year old kid but I do enjoy a game.

That's what the Cork board have done and it seems to have attracted a good amount of interest. If we can get a few people on board then I think that sounds like a great idea.

Why not,

If there isn't allot of interest through here I could probably get a few of the lads who always be up for a game and I know a couple in work would probably be interested.

We'll see How this goes first.

ziedth wrote: »
    Why not,

If there isn't allot of interest through here I could probably get a few of the lads who always be up for a game and I know a couple in work would probably be interested.

We'll see How this goes first.

That sounds good. If the weather is going to be like this over the Summer it'd be great for a game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

There's a summer league just kicked off in Kingfisher so we missed the boat with that one. Probably handy just to get a few lads together to play in an astro in town and then see if interest builds to get a team into Carriganore or Kingfisher.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    There's a summer league just kicked off in Kingfisher so we missed the boat with that one. Probably handy just to get a few lads together to play in an astro in town and then see if interest builds to get a team into Carriganore or Kingfisher.

To be honest I don't mind if it's playing in a league or just a kick about once a week during the Summer, I'd just love to be playing a bit of football over the Summer. A few games, see what the interest is like and then taking it from there seems like a good idea though.

I'd definitely give it the year of a kick about and see How we are fixed for the summer league next year if there is any interest in it. I'd mainly only be interested in a kick about but you'd never know down the line. I think last time Ken we took on far far to much too soon.

Yeah the last time started off well but family politics took over and the whole ethos of the team fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I was only thinking about this earlier today. I currently play on a Monday night but would love a second game every week, preferably on a Wednesday or Thursday. Anytime from 6 o'clock onwards, maybe 5 at a push, and I'd be almost guaranteed to make it every week.

Just a handy kickabout an hour a week without getting into floodlit leagues or anything like that, at least in the near future.

I play once a week on Friday but that ends pretty soon over the Summer so I'll be left not playing football.

So far the interest is good, with a few more numbers we could decide on a time and place? I'll admit though organising things isn't my best trait, I think Ziedth has organised something like this before though so maybe with a bit of help from him we could get this up and running as soon as we have enough people.

• Advertisement

I play once a week on Friday but that ends pretty soon over the Summer so I'll be left not playing football.

So far the interest is good, with a few more numbers we could decide on a time and place? I'll admit though organising things isn't my best trait, I think Ziedth has organised something like this before though so maybe with a bit of help from him we could get this up and running as soon as we have enough people.

If we have 8-10 people on here interested, we can probably get something going. There'll always be a few odd friends looking for a game if we're short. Hopefully it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Does the team still exist in some form?

AdMMM wrote: »

Well I saw that a team with a good few people that ended up being with that team won something recently but, in terms of originals, about two I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

i wouldn't mind joining ye lads use to play in kingfisher last year but it fell apart with numbers,im sure i can get one more aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

AdMMM wrote: »

I started off with the boards team and am still playing with the team that came out of that. On the current team I think there's only me and one other that started off originally on the boards team. I think we finished 3rd this year and won the shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I play a bit of football and would be interested in getting involved. Im available most nights.

It would have to be 9 mon-wed for me to be guaranteed around every week but i could be there just a little late some weeks if it was 8. So going from above How would Wednesday nights suit?

I guarantee once we get the ball rolling we'd have no problem with numbers.

The way we ran it last time was €5 a game per man and anything left over gets pooled and we bought like balls/bibs and so on down the line with the "pot"

Edit: I changed the title Anderson (if ya don't mind) just so anyone having a quick look at the forum who might be interested would see us.

Thursday nights would be out for me for the next 10 weeks with the tag rugby starting. Other than that I should be able to play as long as the dodgy heart allows me to.

That's 6 people interested in a day so if we can get get the 10/12/14 people who might be interrated I'll float down to Kingfisher on Friday and see can we get a time that suits us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I might be able to make Wednesdays, I'll see what day/time ye confirm and let ye know then. :)

• Advertisement

Any time on Wednesday is fine for me, be it 8 or 9, so whatever suits everyone else I have no problem with. Kingfisher has a good Astro pitch and is handy enough to get to.

No problem Ziedth, the title change is grand and hopefully attracts even more interest. Also thanks for taking on organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Wednesday is fine with me i might have some bibs we could use not many but enough for one team any way

jebus84 wrote: »
    Wednesday is fine with me i might have some bibs we could use not many but enough for one team any way

Perfect, it'll do nicely till we get enough the pot for another set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Oh and I'm also in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'd be interested, I'm dying to get back into football cause I haven't played for a few years but ye all seem to know eachother so I'd feel awfully outta place haha

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I'd be interested aswell but depends on what time and night it's on.

I'd be interested, I'm dying to get back into football cause I haven't played for a few years but ye all seem to know eachother so I'd feel awfully outta place haha

I think a couple know each other from the last Boards team. Im in the same boat as you, I know nobody but I'd love to have a game of football every week over the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Looks like there is a nice bit of interest in it. Should be no problem making up the numbers for a decent game of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I see lads getting together in De La Salle College pitch, the park and Bohs pitch on the cork rd. Would it be worth getting together somewhere like that if astro or indoor times don't suit?

• Advertisement

cococoady wrote: »
    I see lads getting together in De La Salle College pitch, the park and Bohs pitch on the cork rd. Would it be worth getting together somewhere like that if astro or indoor times don't suit?

Ye it's not a bad idea at all, I suppose we'll wait and see how Ziedth does in asking Kingfisher if there's a regular spot available, what time its at and see if that suits everyone.

The only problem with DLS, the park and Bohs is that they aren't booked so if somebody is on those pitches we are stuck for a place but they're a good back up plan.

Advertisement