Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Football game (CANCELED!!!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Actually lads the teams we had last week were even enough score was like 3-3 or 4-4 if we all remember what team we were on, but whatever is the most efficient way with the even odd numbers so we can get more time to play, also maybe we could get like hour and a half out of it instead of just one hour would be the business.

Time-wise we are a bit boxed in because there is some kind of class that goes on in the hall until 9pm and then Kingfisher closes at 10pm so we couldn't really start earlier or finish later. If we have the teams sorted before we show up I'd say that'd probably save us a good 5 minutes, maybe even more. I agree the teams last week were good, the only problem trying to play those again would be that some people who were there last week wont be there this week and some people who will be there this week weren't there last week. Once we get another player I can add that person to the list so we'll definitely have 16 and we can pick the teams through the numbers beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ToadPole

Fat chance that odd/even set up will give you good players vs not that good. Not a big problem with that - last week all perform superbly - there was no player without a skills.
    So what if we show up 5 min BEFORE to sort teams out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can I put my name down as a tentative number 16? Know a few of the lads playing.

I have a competitive match Wed at 8 in the kingfisher so would be max 5 minutes late if I'm playing the competitive game. I have been away for a month so don't expect to play in the competitive match and I'm dying for a game!

If someone else can commit ahead of me that's no problem.

lassykk wrote: »
    Can I put my name down as a tentative number 16? Know a few of the lads playing.

I have a competitive match Wed at 8 in the kingfisher so would be max 5 minutes late if I'm playing the competitive game. I have been away for a month so don't expect to play in the competitive match and I'm dying for a game!

If someone else can commit ahead of me that's no problem.

Ye absolutely. 5 minutes late is grand, tbh it usually takes us 5 minutes to get the game going anyway. I'll add you to the updated list now.

1. Matt
    2. Coco
    3. Joey (cocos +1)
    4. Niall
    5. Jason (andersonisgod/bolt)
    6. Craig
    7. Keith
    8. Jamie
    9. Daaaave
    10.atlantian1337
    11. Dempsey
    12. Gary
    13. Gil
    14.ToadPole
    15. Craig 2
    16. Lassykk

Right so how will we go about picking the teams? Just looking at it there would odd numbers vs even numbers work? If not then I'm sure we'll think of something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Once the teams are some way even then will be grand. All the previous weeks were competitive and enjoyable. Hard to know how the picking by numbers will pan out.

If we do go that route we can always switch a few around if its not working out 10 mins in or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I've been involved in weekly football games where teams were picked before hand and despite having a very good idea of everyone's level it was difficult to maintain even teams. I've also been on teams that are perceived to be stronger yet lost and vice versa. Best not to over think it, especially at this stage. I think Odd vs Even cant be any worse than all the dark tops go down there!

Dempsey wrote: »
    I've been involved in weekly football games where teams were picked before hand and despite having a very good idea of everyone's level it was difficult to maintain even teams. I've also been on teams that are perceived to be stronger yet lost and vice versa. Best not to over think it, especially at this stage. I think Odd vs Even cant be any worse than all the dark tops go down there!

I think your right, let's go with odd vs even and see how it goes. If it isn't working out we cal always make a few tactical changes but I'm sure it'll be grand, like Matt said, everyone is able to play and every game has been close. This would also mean I get to pay less attention as to whether I'm wearing a dark shirt or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

If we are going the odds v evens then I think odds should wear a white tshirt/jersey and the evens wear black.

cococoady wrote: »
    If we are going the odds v evens then I think odds should wear a white tshirt/jersey and the evens wear black.

We'll be the most co-ordinated football group ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah if we're going odds versus evens, we have to make sure we have colours to distinguish us as we won't have 8 bibs, I'd imagine. I'm happy with coco's suggestion, which would really be one team wearing dark and one team wearing light since not everyone would have a black or white jersey.

We'll be the most co-ordinated football group ever.

Right bolt ill leave u to sort out the teams in the proper order and what colours to wear

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah if we're going odds versus evens, we have to make sure we have colours to distinguish us as we won't have 8 bibs, I'd imagine. I'm happy with coco's suggestion, which would really be one team wearing dark and one team wearing light since not everyone would have a black or white jersey.

Doesn't have to be a jersey. Plain tshirts will do aswell.

Right bolt ill leave u to sort out the teams in the proper order and what colours to wear

I like the idea and it's probably the one we will go with, it'll be a bit of craic with everyone going in wearing either black t shirts of white t shirts, sign of a well prepared group. But are we sure we don't have enough bibs? If the keeper doesn't wear one would we still not have enough? Even if one team wore the red bibs that we usually have and one (or two depending on how bibs bibs we will be short) wear a red jersey then the other team could come down wearing a dark t shirt or jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

ive got 5 red bibs if 2/3 from another team could wear red that would be one team sorted anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 30 atlantian1337

Well i think we will end up with uneven teams if we just do random odds and evens i mean basically the base players for each team will be there one new person on each team isnt going to make much of a difference we had even teams last week and a good game dont we want even teams again withought the headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I reckon if everyone could bring a "dark" and a white/grey top on the night then we'd be laughing and we could change teams if needs be. Could still use the bibs for extra help.

So teams would be:

Matt, Joey, Jason, Kieth, Dave, Dempsey, Gill, Craig

Vs

Coco, Niall, Craig, Jamie, Atlantian, Gary, Toad, Lassy.

Even numbers are a good bit stronger IMHO so a change might be on the cards but im happy to soldier on what we fall short in skill we make for in determination :-)

ziedth wrote: »
    I reckon if everyone could bring a "dark" and a white/grey top on the night then we'd be laughing and we could change teams if needs be. Could still use the bibs for extra help.

So teams would be:

Matt, Joey, Jason, Kieth, Dave, Dempsey, Gill, Craig

Vs

Coco, Niall, Craig, Jamie, Atlantian, Gary, Toad, Lassy.

Even numbers are a good bit stronger IMHO so a change might be on the cards but im happy to soldier on what we fall short in skill we make for in determination :-)

Nice teamtalk Matt, I'm even more determined now :D

Right so say the evens start with bibs, hopefully a few of their players have red jerseys? If they don't then we will start with the bibs. Whichever team isn't playing in red, the other team wear dark jerseys. Does that work for everybody?

Ya Red might be narrowing it down a bit too much but but if you look up red/black/purple are all gonna be fine to pick a man if the other team has white/grey/yellow.

Edit:

Will i just get 5 red bibs from lifestyle tomorrow and we can wear whatever the hell we want?

Haha I have a fair few jerseys but a red one I do not! I'm sure most people will have though so I can grab one of the bibs.

• Advertisement

Ya Red might be narrowing it down a bit too much but but if you look up red/black/purple are all gonna be fine to pick a man if the other team has white/grey/yellow.

Edit:

Will i just get 5 red bibs from lifestyle tomorrow and we can wear whatever the hell we want?

If you're around then that'd be great man. We are going to have to get bibs with the money leftover at some stage anyway, once it isn't a bother for yourself mate then ye, we might aswell have them for this week. That'd leave one team in all red bibs and the other team can just wear dark jerseys.

Ah ya it's no hasale, I need to get new football socks anyway so I'll pick up the bibs out of the pot then.

Ah ya it's no hasale, I need to get new football socks anyway so I'll pick up the bibs out of the pot then.

Great. That's that sorted. Buy a football pump while you're there if they're not mad money. Otherwise, we can just wait until we're buying other stuff.

Lads ye seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill here. Odds wear white or very light coloured tshirts / jerseys. Evens wear black or very dark ones. No need to be going into town to buy bibs that are going to cost 2/3 times the amount online. Ye are trying to over complicate a simple procedure. If there are lads who have both a black and a white tshirt then bring it along just incase teams need to be changed around.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

white/grey/black/red ye can all feck off coz i'm wearing my Chelsea jersey anyways:p

Lads ye seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill here. Odds wear white or very light coloured tshirts / jerseys. Evens wear black or very dark ones. No need to be going into town to buy bibs that are going to cost 2/3 times the amount online. Ye are trying to over complicate a simple procedure. If there are lads who have both a black and a white tshirt then bring it along just incase teams need to be changed around.

I agree, we did get a bit bogged down there but I think we wanted a decision that everyone was ok with, afterall everyone's contributed to the pot. We probably could find bibs for a bit cheaper online but at least we'll have the ones Matt's getting for this week, and I suppose we are supporting local business in a small kind of way :D I think Matt is also picking up a pump so we'll have a proper indoor football to use this week too.

So here's the idea I had, I'm looking for feedback on whether it's good or ridiculous. Since one team will be wearing red bibs, what if all of us wear a dark jersey (so Dave's Chelsea jersey will be grand) that way if the team's aren't working out and we need to switch 1 or 2 players the lads taking off their bibs will be able to slot easily onto the other team because they will be wearing dark jerseys just like the rest of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I agree, we did get a bit bogged down there but I think we wanted a decision that everyone was ok with, afterall everyone's contributed to the pot. We probably could find bibs for a bit cheaper online but at least we'll have the ones Matt's getting for this week, and I suppose we are supporting local business in a small kind of way :D I think Matt is also picking up a pump so we'll have a proper indoor football to use this week too.

So here's the idea I had, I'm looking for feedback on whether it's good or ridiculous. Since one team will be wearing red bibs, what if all of us wear a dark jersey (so Dave's Chelsea jersey will be grand) that way if the team's aren't working out and we need to switch 1 or 2 players the lads taking off their bibs will be able to slot easily onto the other team because they will be wearing dark jerseys just like the rest of the team.

Sounds good to me. I dont even own a white jersey so I can bring a dark top no bother. If one team has bibs it wont matter too much what the other team wears. We will eventually get a second set of bibs so we will be grand.

So will someone tell me what I gotta wear tomoz night then ;-)

So will someone tell me what I gotta wear tomoz night then ;-)

Haha no problem, it's taken like 2 pages but we've ended on everyone wearing a dark jersey. One team will have red bibs and the others wearing dark jerseys. That way if we need to switch a couple of players around they'll be able to play on the team with dark jerseys.

• Advertisement

Haha no problem, it's taken like 2 pages but we've ended on everyone wearing a dark jersey. One team will have red bibs and the others wearing dark jerseys. That way if we need to switch a couple of players around they'll be able to play on the team with dark jerseys.

How hard was that haha

Advertisement