Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Football game (CANCELED!!!!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ToadPole

Sunday 1PM

1. Jason
    2. Keith
    3. Séamus
    4. Coco
    5. ToadPole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Whoever is copying and pasting be sure to ad the "Sunday 1pm" part, just so we don't have any confusion. I'll edit any posts if anyone forgets anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Im actually gonna pass on this. Have to work saturday so that means sunday will be me only rest day this week and im shattered. Maybe next week if it goes ahead

Sunday 1PM

1. Jason
    2. Keith
    3. Séamus
    4. ToadPole

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I wont be able to play sunday lads, i'll be on a stag. I'll be just coming right for the game on wednesday if im lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quandido7

Well I wouldn't be able to play the game on this sunday but would probably be available to play most other sundays if it went ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Slyy_Gil

Put me down on the stand by list for Wednesday too.

Sunday 1PM

1. Jason
    2. Keith
    3. Séamus
    4. ToadPole
    5. Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

If anyone can't make it on Wednesday you're in Gil.

It looks like this Sunday is probably a no go based on the numbers so far. It's understandable with work and rest. I'll try again for next Sunday, maybe with a bit more notice we might get a few more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 atlantian1337

Lads would you not be interested in doing it on monday and thursday twice a week would be much better than waiting for wendsday for just an hour of gameplay.

Thursday's wouldn't suit me with work at all I'm afraid and I think a couple or people play a different game on a Monday.

IMHO Wednesday seems to suit the majority but if you can get a game going on a Monday then see what you can organise.

We also have to make teams before Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Sorry lads I can't make it now this Wednesday. I have a nightowls match at 9pm on Wednesday. Even if it was at 8 like last week my body couldn't take 2 hours of football again so soon!

Anyway I've attached the list and Slyy_Gil was the only person who said that he wanted to be on the standby list so he might take my place when he sees this. I put him in on the list as provisional anyway.

1. Dempsey
    2. Keith
    3. Matt
    4. Jason
    5. Coco
    6. Joey
    7. Jamie
    8. Niall
    9. Gary
    10. Craig
    11. Sly_Gill Provisional - Sly_Gill to confirm
    12. Jason (no2)
    13. ToadPole
    14. Mike
    15. Craig 2
    16. Daaave

• Advertisement

Well ill be going down there on wendsday if any one else drops out i didnt expect the list to fill up so quickly didnt even put my name down for wendsday and i was there past two weeks.

I wouldn't be up for the 2 nights either. Wednesday is perfect at the moment and in the next few weeks ill be back per season training for junior league season which I'm sure a couple of others will be doing aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

cococoady wrote: »
    I wouldn't be up for the 2 nights either. Wednesday is perfect at the moment and in the next few weeks ill be back per season training for junior league season which I'm sure a couple of others will be doing aswell

Yeah I've been playing a game on Monday evenings for over 12 months now so wouldn't drop that one.

Think Wednesday is ideal as it's middle of the week. I think it's ambitious to be expecting to get a second game a week going from this group - we're not even two months in yet. I think we get this one firmly established and make sure people are still coming in a couple of months' time.

Anybody feel brave enough to name the strongest 6 or even 4 players we could split up I reckon Toadpole (Batman keeper) and coco are no brainers. Had Lassy been around it fair to say he'd be another.

We could alway just pick 2 captains on the night but that is going to waste a good 5/10min but I'm happy with that if the majority want to go that way.

Seperately I'm just looking at the names I played ball with Mike years ago and I only realised just now so I wasn't being a dickhead if ya think I was blanking ya :-) I had a really "I know his face from somewhere" thing going on for like two weeks

ziedth wrote: »
    Anybody feel brave enough to name the strongest 6 or even 4 players we could split up I reckon Toadpole (Batman keeper) and coco are no brainers. Had Lassy been around it fair to say he'd be another.

I agree about Coco and Toadpole. I'd personally say Dave and Gary as well myself - like Dave and Coco on opposite sides as they're both very good defensively. If Seamus was to be there again, you could have him and Gary on opposite sides as they're both attacking.

Maybe Toadpole and coco on one side, Dave and Gary on the other and just divide everyone else after that? Everyone's able to play like.

Dave and Gary did make a huge difference the other night. Jason and another chap I haven't actually played with him yet so his name escapes me are very similar players too. He was on red time last week you probably know who I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

ziedth wrote: »
    Seperately I'm just looking at the names I played ball with Mike years ago and I only realised just now so I wasn't being a dickhead if ya think I was blanking ya :-) I had a really "I know his face from somewhere" thing going on for like two weeks

Ha ha, no worries man, I had the same thing going on. It was strange enough trying to second-guess people's usernames!

Looking forward to the game Wednesday. Had a thought today (dangerous, I know) that maybe once a game has been played that the list for the following game shouldn't start until 9.00am (for example) the next morning. That way, everyone knows that if they want a spot they've got to be in quick.

Like last week I missed out, first because the list had been started straight after the game, but missed out through injury in the end anyway, but that was despite playing the two previous weeks, one of which we only had 9!

And then this week we have atlantian missing out even though he played the last 2 weeks.

TL;DR There should be a set time for the list to start every week .

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

No matter what way the list is done people are going to miss out. If we do make it so the list starts at 9.00 there is bound to be people that cant access their internet at that time.

It's unfortunate that we seem to have such a high demand that even some of the lads that have been every week including weeks we were short can't get on the list.

At the end of wed nights game take names there and then of who will be there the following week. At least then the regulars will get 1st choice then. If a few cant make it then open it up to the forum

Plus regarding the picking of teams. It's almost impossible to pick based on ability as its way too soon to even try. Picking 2 captains who then pick one player at a time is unfair as more than likely the so called weaker players will be left till last. It's not a nice experience at all trust me.
    Just split the no's evenly, play for ten or 15 mins, if the game is even enough play on. If not switch it around a bit

• Advertisement

At the end of wed nights game take names there and then of who will be there the following week. At least then the regulars will get 1st choice then. If a few cant make it then open it up to the forum

Spot on. Sounds the fairest way at this stage.

Fair enough, just to be honest though when the time comes I have no problem with lads picking teams as I'm under no illusions who'll be picked last :)

I couldn't agree with more with people missing games undeserevedly being annoying. At the moment at least I can't think of a fair way to do it. List of names on the night after ball is a good idea but i doubt ill be able to make it next week so say all 16 sign up after the game from then on myself (and anyone else not there) will miss the game till someone drops out.

Closing the thread till a certain time is an option but it will lead to it turning into ticketmaster waiting for tickets to go on sale.

The thing is the popularity of the game increased so fast that we dont have an "orginal" group cause we had 15 within 4 weeks.

It's something I'd be very open to try and sort something out to address but for the moment first come first serve seems the only option that I can think of

Yep that way if you're there one week you have the opportunity to guarantee yourself a place the next week. Good idea.

Before last week every game was completely even. Last week was just because we left it completely to chance. Id be of the same opinion as coco when it comes to captains picking on abilty. Not nice on fellas being last to be picked.

I reckon if we just pick it roughly on positions just so we dont get a team full of defenders vs attackers. We all know from previous weeks where people play. I dont think we should be too strict picking teams it should work out grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Aww man, I bought a hat to put everyones name into to pick out teams and now we aren't even going to do it like that? What am I gonna do with this hat? :P

If it's a fedora hat I'll buy it of you. I could play wearing it, I'd look awfully dapper....

Lads Lads Lads making it way more complicated then it is,its just a game of football, ,just let them pick the two teams we all remember whos who and we are all about the same skill and fitness level anyway, if someone gets picked last well big deal what is this kinder garden lol and also what if one of the regulars is missing at the end of the game on wensday he wont be able to put his name down for next week then??yeah and if it starts at 9.00 am next day then everyone will know when they need to log on and sign up for the football.

Lads Lads Lads making it way more complicated then it is,its just a game of football, ,just let them pick the two teams we all remember whos who and we are all about the same skill and fitness level anyway, if someone gets picked last well big deal what is this kinder garden lol and also what if one of the regulars is missing at the end of the game on wensday he wont be able to put his name down for next week then??yeah and if it starts at 9.00 am next day then everyone will know when they need to log on and sign up for the football.

Well I know from my perspective that, in general, I won't be able to get online during my working day so that's a problem right there with the 09:00 thing.

I don't know. Has anyone actually missed out yet even?

I was thinking the same thing. Anybody working in a job where they cant go online is going to miss out every week in that situation.

• Advertisement

Well it doesnt hav to be excactly at 9 in the morning the day after, could change the time for 6 when everyone is back,just so we know when to start signing up.

Advertisement