Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can one apply for council house if spouse neither in work nor social welfare

Options
  • 21-05-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

hi. my brother is interested to apply for council house, but his wife is neither working nor in social welfare, my brother is the only bread earner of the family and they have a kid baby girl of age 1. Can anyone give us some helpful advise as someone said to me that he could not apply for council house if his wife not in work or social welfare. cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

It doesnt matter if you are working or on social welfare or have no income. All that matters is your income is under the limit for a council house you would need to find out what that limit is from your own council. If they only have one child they would not get a house they would get an apartment (now that depends on your council but any I know about you need two children or different sexes or three children to get a house). If there income is low on just one wage they could also apply for FIS family income support you can find out the income thresholds on welfare.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ameee wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if you are working or on social welfare or have no income. All that matters is your income is under the limit for a council house you would need to find out what that limit is from your own council. If they only have one child they would not get a house they would get an apartment (now that depends on your council but any I know about you need two children or different sexes or three children to get a house). If there income is low on just one wage they could also apply for FIS family income support you can find out the income thresholds on welfare.ie.

All correct except for the bold bit. It totally depeneds on where you live, what houses are available, and whether you are willing to accept voluntary house.

Voluntary means that the house will be owned by a non-profit 3rd party. Just like council housing, except that you never get the chance to buy it.

Advertisement