Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

• 21-05-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All

Just sharing my experience with UPC.
    Have just upgraded to 50meg with them
    and had issues with setting up my nas with
    port forwarding. Was all working well before
    but now just not working, I use this alot for
    sharing files with work colleagues so is obviously
    something I need resolved quickly.

I have been really made to feel stuck on my own.
    Tried ringing UPC where I constantly get thrown around
    or told to ring their premium line. There is no support.
    Ive tried ringing their premium number to have this resolved
    and get responses like I should buy my own equipment
    to perform this and theres nothing more they can do.
    Feeling more and more frustrated Ive tried ringing back the
    premium number as a last hope but literally not an answer all
    day. Try calling UPC for help and to try to get put through to
    the premium number and just say as long as Im receiving a
    broadband signal they dont need to do anymore.
    This is the same reason used to say I cannot cancel the contract.

Now im stuck with a very fast internet browsing service, unable
    to use it for my intended purpose. I totally can see the complications
    involved in setting up something like this so dont expect there to be
    no issues but Ive never had it this painful before, especially as they
    limit their own modems for upc use im kind of at their mercy.

Just wanted to share my experience incase it affects anyone else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

joeco wrote: »
    Hi All

Just sharing my experience with UPC.
    Have just upgraded to 50meg with them
    and had issues with setting up my nas with
    port forwarding. Was all working well before
    but now just not working, I use this alot for
    sharing files with work colleagues so is obviously
    something I need resolved quickly.

That as far as I'm concerned is nothing to do with UPC as it sounds more like a local configuration issue to me, it could I suppose be the modem but that seems unlikely.

Unless you can clearly demonstrate that the "fault" is at UPC's end then it is up to you to resolve the issue. They can't know about random users configurations.

Without more exact details as to how you have reached the conclusion that it's UPC's fault I'll stick to my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joeco

Thanks for your input, will continue to resolve with this in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it the new technicolor one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

joeco wrote: »
    Thanks for your input, will continue to resolve with this in mind.

try speaking to UPC Customer support here:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Thanks John, will definitely persue that.

Colm, no its the epc3925, did have the epc 2425 previously and simply had to forward ports in router
    and worked fine.

Was told a week ago to buy my own router, to have control over my network, and put the epc3925
    into bridge mode. Done that and even bypassing my router and plugging straight into the bridged
    upc modem all ports are blocked.

Will jump onto upc's boards forum, thanks again for the pointer john.

• Advertisement

Hi John

The only response I got from UPC boards was to call their technical line.
    I have been trying for 3 days now, hours at a time to contact the premium technical line.
    So until I can get through Im left out in the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You're trying to use a consumer service for work purposes. If you can surf, email and stream without issue then that is all that UPC have done all they are required to. They don't support VPN connections (they may work anyway, but they won't support them). The fact that you can't share files with work colleagues isn't their concern.

There could be any number of reasons (beyond their control) that could cause your issues - firewall or network configuration either in your house or your colleagues' office etc.

Have you looked at the likes of DropBox or ZipSend or FTP etc to share files over?

Hi Yakuza

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate that UPC have provided a working service, although some applications,
    iMessage in particular, are blocked. But since port forwarding has been working previously for a year maybe I have been spoilt
    by extending the use of their service with such capabilities. And as it has previously worked I would now see
    the lose of this as a serious drop in usability.
    Guess its like buying a new car and discovering a small superficial noise when you drove it.
    It wouldn't affect performance or usability but you would expect it to be resolved although it may not be legally enforceable.
    Otherwise, as a customer, why would you continue to use a service that made little effort to go above minimal legal requirements
    to provide a satisfactory service.

UPDATE:
    Having spent 3 days on the phone I received a callback from a nice lady at UPC who is pursuing this on my behalf.
    It has made such a difference to feel like a valued customer and have a little more hope with this being resolved.
    I have also been in touch with the premium technical support who couldn't pinpoint the reason as they were finding the
    same issue with the modem so have said they'll give me a callback after they run further tests on the modem.
    Ultimately just want to acknowledge that UPC is now looking after me as a customer and helping me, whether this gets fixed
    not sure yet but alot more positive and knowing someones trying to help makes the world of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yakuza wrote: »
    You're trying to use a consumer service for work purposes. If you can surf, email and stream without issue then that is all that UPC have done all they are required to. They don't support VPN connections (they may work anyway, but they won't support them). The fact that you can't share files with work colleagues isn't their concern.

There could be any number of reasons (beyond their control) that could cause your issues - firewall or network configuration either in your house or your colleagues' office etc.

Have you looked at the likes of DropBox or ZipSend or FTP etc to share files over?

Have you heard of problems with VPN?

That would be a huge issue for anyone who would need to access work from home.

Advertisement